6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

Ecu problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cscounts is an unknown quantity at this point
Ecu problems

I am new to this whole forum thing so just bare with me. I got an p28 ecu from a buddy that came with his car he bought a while back he wasnt using it so he let me have it. The ecu is chipped and i was planning on putting it in my car and gettig a tune for it but imwas just seeing what it was going to do with the chip it has in the ecu. My car is a 95 civic ex. When i plugged it into my harness it started up just fine but it was idling weird like my car had a cam in it but its a stock d16z6. I know that its not the iacv cause it dont have a pulsing idle like the iacv is bad. It would only rev to about 4000-4500 rpm and it would back fire. I figured it had launch control tuned on it or something but it would only go that high driving down the road to so i dont know what is wromg with it if the guy before him had done it wrong or what but it has stickers on it that look like it went to a shop to get the chip put in it but im not sure. Any help would be nice because i would like to use it for a turbo build eventually. Thank you.
Old 01-15-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ecu problems

I got an p28 ecu from a buddy
its a stock d16z6
Put your correct ECU back in.
Old 01-15-2016
Registered!!

I did after i drove it up the road.
Old 01-15-2016

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

You'll have to find out what the engine needs to go along with using the other ecu.
Like a 4bar MAP sensor and high flow fuel injectors, other stuff like that that would only be used on a forced induction application.

Don't expect it to work on your stock engine at all.
Old 01-15-2016
Registered!!

I think what he told my friend is it has a turbo build tune on it cause his car is turboed but i dont remember. Would there be any way to take the chip out and hook it to a laptop and see what type of tune it is or would i have to know what type of software he used to tune it? Or is there a way to erase the current tune and make a new one?
Old 01-15-2016

IDK.
You need to talk to whomever you got it from about that, get documentation and all paperwork on it, find out who did what to it.

Any info on the ECU itself? Stickers or company info?
Old 01-16-2016
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Engine tuning companies would be better suited to answer your questions.

Contact one.

That ECU is not tuned to stock engine, of course it would not work too well.
Old 01-17-2016
BPL Namdata

Miss EJ6 has a spectacular aura aboutMiss EJ6 has a spectacular aura aboutMiss EJ6 has a spectacular aura about

the ecu still has tune from previous setup he was using it for. you can just take the chip out and the factory tune would take its effect. if you want to erase the previous tune from the chip you need the eprom chip burner and it software. chipped ecu does not have the capability to be plugged into a laptop only a standalone can do so. and changes or datalogging usually requires you to remove the chip back out and putting it on the eprom to read/make changes to tune file.
Old 01-17-2016
Registered!!

Well i did take the chip out to see if it would run right with the regular ecu without the chip but it did the same thing it did with the chip in it
Old 01-17-2016
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

You really not listening to us...

If you not going to listen, there's really no point in asking. Much less for us to answer...

Last edited by sdaidoji; 01-17-2016 at 09:15 AM.
Old 01-17-2016
Registered!!

I did listen to you guys I already put the stock ecu back in my car I was just letting you know what I had tried.
Old 01-17-2016
PITA Admin
Administrator

Removing the chip will make the ecu brainless, like removing the hard disk from your computer, or like removing the brain from your skull.

Obviously it will not work, unsure why you even tested it.
Old 01-17-2016
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Why are you replacing your stock ECU in the first place?
If there are no issues with your vehicle, and you aren't tuning it... You shouldn't be replacing ECU's.
If your vehicle has an electrical issue where the vehicle is cutting off, and a technician has determined that the fault lies within the ECU, all you do is take out your old ECU, grab the serial from the back of the unit, go to a junk yard, and pull another ECU of the same year make and model, match up the ECU and put it back in.

There is no reason for you to be messing about with someone else's ECU, just because they gave it to you.
Old 01-17-2016
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

This thread made kenny come out of hiding O_O
Old 01-17-2016
PITA Admin
Administrator

Lol!
Old 01-17-2016
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Had to see what all the hubbub was about.
Old 01-17-2016
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

HAha =D

Well OP thanks for a new and interesting question... can't say its not the regular "what should I use to turbo", or, "will this make my civic fast?"

Does you chip look like this (Is it Hondata?)

Also, both your cars are manual right?