6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

Leaking Coolant Reservior

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FxckWil is an unknown quantity at this point
Leaking Coolant Reservior

My car is overheating and I have a feeling it has something to do with a leak since I've seen on my driveway it leaks sometimes. I fill up my Reservior and the coolant will sit in there, but then I take it out for a spin and when I notice it starts overheating I stop it and park it. next thing you know the resorvoir is slowly getting low, any body have any idea what's going on?
Old 12-16-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Leaking Coolant Reservior

In addition to the reservoir, you must refill the radiator itself.
Note how much you add to it.
Old 12-21-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EdGasket is an unknown quantity at this point

"I stop it and park it. next thing you know the resorvoir is slowly getting low,"

That is what it is supposed to do. As the coolant cools it contracts and sucks more coolant from the reservoir back into the engine. If you are persistently using a lot of coolant, check for leaks or possibly HG failure. If it is leaking from the timing end of the engine, change the water pump and timing belt pronto! Coolant leaking onto the timing belt will make it snap.
Old 12-21-2015
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to all

Can you smell coolant (sweet smell)? Is there STEAM coming from the tailpipe? Is there white residue on near/on any cooling system parts?