6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

bought parts and they dont fit engine swapped?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dave Brabant is an unknown quantity at this point
bought parts and they dont fit engine swapped?

ok so i bought some parts off the web for a 96 non vtec 1.6l they got here and im ready to install everything and nothing fits... the guy i bought it from told me that the engine had been changed out for the same exact engine that was in it ... so my question is what engine do i have in here . I know i could check the side of the cyl head but the car is in the city in a buddies garage all dissassembled for install and parts dont fit.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150908_213334.jpg
Views:	3167
Size:	1.70 MB
ID:	88076   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150908_215730.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	88077  
Old 09-12-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: bought parts and they dont fit engine swapped?

Yo Dawg! Is that thing got an air filter for the air filter?

so my question is what engine do i have in here .
I guess Canada EX doesn't have VTEC?

What's the engine code on the block?

What's the code on the head? Have your buddy look for it (search for this, I don't have the answers)

What parts did you get? What doesn't fit, and why?
Old 09-12-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone

Yo Dawg! Is that thing got an air filter for the air filter?

I guess Canada EX doesn't have VTEC?

What's the engine code on the block?

What's the code on the head? Have your buddy look for it (search for this, I don't have the answers)

What parts did you get? What doesn't fit, and why?
NO DAWG... the air filter aint in it lmao just the gasket part is, its ghetto i know not my doing thats before the cai.

I got a couple parts timing belt and pulley, turbo manifold, some hoses and a fuel rail, some plug wires and some other stuff i havnt tried installing everything but when i saw the hoses wernt right and the timing pulley and belt wernt right allong with the manifold i stopped and left
Old 09-12-2015
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to all

Are you trying to turbocharge it? Why did you get a pulley, or did you mean tensioner? Why a fuel rail is there something wrong with the old one?

That looks like a D16 SOHC. Definitely not a VTEC engine.

Last edited by Mad Dog Tannen; 09-12-2015 at 11:04 AM.
Old 09-12-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Mad Dog Tannen
Are you trying to turbocharge it? Why did you get a pulley, or did you mean tensioner? Why a fuel rail is there something wrong with the old one?

got the stuff for cheap and i was just having fun the only marks he can see on the head are in the front are p2f-ha-2 and usa then theres the engine serial
D63220752L the old fuel rail was leaking abit , the pully was rusted, the turbo manifold is because yes a want to boost it abit. im trying to refurb this car abit as a project and get as much out of the non vtec 1.6 as i can the engine is still very healthy and runs like new still has good compression equal across al four. as stated in my last postes this is my first import build and the 50 different engines is confusing to me im used to playing with cars that either come with one or two engines and thats it

i assume none of those codes are telling me the engine where do i tell him to look for it

Last edited by Dave Brabant; 09-12-2015 at 11:30 AM.
Old 09-12-2015
Registered!!

Mad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Dave Brabant
got the stuff for cheap and i was just having fun the only marks he can see on the head are in the front are p2f-ha-2 and usa then theres the engine serial
D63220752L the old fuel rail was leaking abit , the pully was rusted, the turbo manifold is because yes a want to boost it abit. im trying to refurb this car abit as a project and get as much out of the non vtec 1.6 as i can the engine is still very healthy and runs like new still has good compression equal across al four. as stated in my last postes this is my first import build and the 50 different engines is confusing to me im used to playing with cars that either come with one or two engines and thats it

i assume none of those codes are telling me the engine where do i tell him to look for it
I am confused, you say you have a turbo manifold, but wheres the turbo? A rusty pulley shouldn't cause trouble, all of mine have been rusty and worked fine. Leaky fuel system is a priority though, that could be a fire hazard. And the timing belt is always a good idea if it hasn't been changed.

I would get it running smooth while it's stock first, then worry about modding. It sounds like nothing you're doing will add any power.
Old 09-12-2015
Registered!!

ok after looking up the code it seems i have a d16y4 IS that right? if so im going to do the y8 head swap i just found here

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...wapped-with-y8

all these parts will be thrown into the trash because they are definatly not for a d16 like the guy told me
Old 09-12-2015
Registered!!

I am confused, you say you have a turbo manifold, but wheres the turbo? A rusty pulley shouldn't cause trouble, all of mine have been rusty and worked fine. Leaky fuel system is a priority though, that could be a fire hazard. And the timing belt is always a good idea if it hasn't been changed.

I would get it running smooth while it's stock first, then worry about modding. It sounds like nothing you're doing will add any power.
well thats what im doing the thing only has 129000 kms on it ... the only thing wrong with it is the fuel rail the rest was just for fun. the guy sold me the turbo with the manifold but the mani doesnt fit my y4 head so it wont fit the y8 head either.. besides i paid 120$ for everything except the belt and the fuel rail. I know a rusty pully is not going to cause problems but it came with the package deal and wasnt rusty so i wanted to change it

Last edited by Dave Brabant; 09-12-2015 at 11:50 AM.
Old 09-12-2015
Registered!!

well thats what im doing the thing only has 129000 kms on it ... the only thing wrong with it is the fuel rail the rest was just for fun. the guy sold me the turbo with the manifold but the mani doesnt fit my y4 head so it wont fit the y8 head either.. besides i paid 120$ for everything except the belt and the fuel rail. I know a rusty pully is not going to cause problems but it came with the package deal and wasnt rusty so i wanted to change it
I see. I would just sand and paint the old pulley, but it's in a place that no one will see, so it would really just be for you. As someone who tinkers all of the time, I like to polish up and paint things that only I will notice, but I end up having to point them out if I want any recognition lol

Also those aluminum fuel rails are really easy to polish and they are very visible.
Personally I would work on attacking the massive amounts of rust in that car. Rust will cause you more headaches than anything else.
Old 09-12-2015
Registered!!

I see. I would just sand and paint the old pulley, but it's in a place that no one will see, so it would really just be for you. As someone who tinkers all of the time, I like to polish up and paint things that only I will notice, but I end up having to point them out if I want any recognition lol

Also those aluminum fuel rails are really easy to polish and they are very visible.
Personally I would work on attacking the massive amounts of rust in that car. Rust will cause you more headaches than anything else.
yeah the rust was planned. this all happened on a piff. i was in montreal and guy was selling all sorts of honda parts at a garage sale so i bought it, not the end of the world. At least now i know what engine i have in it XD. I love to tinker also, i keep doing stuff to it that only i know is done and dont really care if others see it or not. this thing hauls *** already compared to other non vtec d16s i have seen i mean if i give it WOT at a 10 km/h roll it burns tires all the way till second then burns about half way through second on winter tires. w/o power shifting it. done it twice so far to be sure. it got 16.1 on my only pass at the 1/4 mile so its definitely not low on power. (as far as i know) lmao if im completely wrong i apologize, im trying to learn the import stuff and its way different then domestic. seeing as my last build was a f150...
Old 09-12-2015
Registered!!

yeah the rust was planned. this all happened on a piff. i was in montreal and guy was selling all sorts of honda parts at a garage sale so i bought it, not the end of the world. At least now i know what engine i have in it XD. I love to tinker also, i keep doing stuff to it that only i know is done and dont really care if others see it or not. this thing hauls *** already compared to other non vtec d16s i have seen i mean if i give it WOT at a 10 km/h roll it burns tires all the way till second then burns about half way through second on winter tires. w/o power shifting it. done it twice so far to be sure. it got 16.1 on my only pass at the 1/4 mile so its definitely not low on power. (as far as i know) lmao if im completely wrong i apologize, im trying to learn the import stuff and its way different then domestic. seeing as my last build was a f150...
foreign and domestic engines are all internal combustion four stroke gasoline piston engines, same symptoms, same problems. The parts are not quite as interchangeable as the GM's that I have owned is the only major difference, that and the aluminum engines (older cars). The D series engine is bulletproof and will last a long time if you take care of it.

That is why I did not buy a VTEC or DOHC engine. Simplicity is reliability.
Old 09-12-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

ok after looking up the code it seems i have a d16y4 IS that right?
Probably not, unless you are Turkish, Aussie or Kiwi.
D16Y4

Found in:
  • 1998–2000 Civic 1.6 iES (Turkey)
  • 1996–2000 Civic CXi, GL, GLi (New Zealand, Australia)
=================

What is the code stamped on your engine block?
Examples:

Old 09-12-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Probably not, unless you are Turkish, Aussie or Kiwi.
D16Y4

Found in:
  • 1998–2000 Civic 1.6 iES (Turkey)
  • 1996–2000 Civic CXi, GL, GLi (New Zealand, Australia)
=================

What is the code stamped on your engine block?
Examples:

heads code corosponds withthat of a d16y4 but the block says d16y7 ive got a z6 head lined up for a mini me swap 70 $ so im gonna jump on it. in further news waters gettin in my passenger side its been raining all day and the m'fer is soaked

Last edited by Dave Brabant; 09-12-2015 at 10:43 PM.