6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

Torque Setting theory

Old 07-29-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EdGasket is an unknown quantity at this point
Torque Setting theory

Can anyone explain in layman's terms why it is OK to only do a valve adjustment locknut up to only 13 ft-lb while the pulley nut is some stupidly high torque and many non-moving suspension nuts are also done up to a high torque value?

I'm genuinely surprised that with all the movement and vibration, the valve locknuts stay put with minimal torque whereas a non-moving part like suspension strut to hub, has to be torqued to 70 ft-lb or so. Even the sump plug on a Honda is torqued over twice the value of the valve adjusters and yet it is non-moving?? How do they work out what torque should be used?
Old 07-29-2015
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: Torque Setting theory

Pulley nut is larger. Torque specs are related to size of the fastner which is related to shear and tension amounts. The grade also plays a role in determining that. If my memory from stress analysis class serves me well.

Suspension hardware is larger compared to other hardware used on the car.

Proper torque specs, lock nuts, lock washers and Loctite keep things from backing out

Helpful Chart:

Last edited by GolNat; 07-29-2015 at 01:16 PM.
Old 07-29-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

why it is OK to only do a valve adjustment locknut up to only 13 ft-lb
Because they are tiny, and that's what the engineers decided is correct.

Got any idea what happens when you overtighten a fastener?

"Too loose is too loose, and too tight can be too loose too."
Old 08-01-2015
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Having had quality assurance training in the Navy (aircraft carrier nuclear power plant work), I can support these two guys in their statements. We dealt heavily with threaded fasteners, particularly torque and thread engagement. Threads on a fastener act as a pre-existing flaw in the metal surface, which gives the metal allowance to stretch and ultimately fail (shearing of the bolt). The cross section of a piece of metal the diameter of the valve adjustment screw requires less than that of the crank pulley to fail (shear). Now, throw in the aforementioned "pre-existing flaw" bit, and that piece of metal requires even less force.

If you try an apply 181 ft-lbs of torque on the valve adjustment bolts, I guarantee it'll shear off well before you get to your end goal.
Old 08-02-2015
Registered!!

Thanks for the replies. Just seems to me that a moving part like the valve pushrod ought to need more torque to prevent the nut rattling loose. A friend had one come loose once on an overhead valve car; made a dreadful racket but no damage. I dread to think what it would have done to an overhead cam engine though. Also with those valve adjuster nuts you are generally guessing the torque anyway because you have to hold the screw in position so can only use a ring spanner on the nut and have to guestimate the 13 ft-lb or so.
Old 08-02-2015
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by EdGasket
Also with those valve adjuster nuts you are generally guessing the torque anyway because you have to hold the screw in position so can only use a ring spanner on the nut and have to guestimate the 13 ft-lb or so.
13 ft-lb is basically finger tight and then a little snug with a wrench,

i would never need a torque wrench or use one on a bolt/nut requiring less the 30 ft-lbs, i know by feel,

however i don't know your experience or capabilities, anything over 30 ft-lbs is when i dust the cob webs off the torque wrench and use it,

moving part or not does not matter,

generally speaking the larger the bolt/nut is, the more torque that is required,

the material the bolt/nut is made of also comes into play,

when you are torquing a bolt you are actually stretching the bolt/head
Old 08-02-2015
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikey1
i would never need a torque wrench or use one on a bolt/nut requiring less the 30 ft-lbs
I do. Perhaps it's the incessant training that was beat into my head. I have 2 torque wrenches that I use, one rated at 150 ft-lbs, the other that reads to something like 250 in-lbs. It's a simple conversion for ft-lbs to in-lbs, and I'd rather be safe than sorry. I've sheared far too many bolts and have seen far too many bolts wiggle themselves loose due to improper torque specs.
Old 08-02-2015
Registered!!

mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
I've sheared far too many bolts and have seen far too many bolts wiggle themselves loose due to improper torque specs.
i have never had either of these issues, so it depends on experience i guess
Old 08-02-2015
Administrator
Administrator

Shearing bolts hasn't been too much of an issue with smaller bolts, but stripping out the head has been. My original -a2 head probably has 2-3 stripped exhaust manifold mounting holes. Also, I thought I had torqued my TDC sensor on adequately since I couldn't fit my torque wrench down there, but I was wrong. Thing wiggled loose and ate my timing belt. That wasn't a fun experience.
Old 08-03-2015
Registered!!

I thought I had torqued my TDC sensor on adequately since I couldn't fit my torque wrench down there, but I was wrong. Thing wiggled loose and ate my timing belt. That wasn't a fun experience.
did you leave it too loose?

or did you strip it?

that bolt only needs to be finger tight, then a little snug with a wrench, that's all i do
Old 08-03-2015
Administrator
Administrator

I took a wrench to it to make it nice and snug. Thing still managed to wiggle loose and frustrate the hell out of me.
Old 08-06-2015
Registered!!

RiceBoy - so do you torque the valve adjuster locknuts then? How can you do that with a screwdriver holding the adjuster? - or do you nip it up with spanner and use the torque wrench on the final tightening without holding the adjuster and check it all once torqued?

In answer to previous question, I do have good experience and can roughly gauge how tight to do a bolt depending on its size but am extremely wary of aluminium heads; plus the length of handle on the spanner/socket can make a huge difference to the 'feel' so if I can use a torque wrench, I will in preference to guessing by feel.

I wonder if the torque on the valve locknuts appears low because the threads will be drenched in oil? I understand oiled threads should be done up to a lower torque than dry threads for the same overall tightness if you get my meaning.
Old 08-06-2015
Registered!!

I wonder if the torque on the valve locknuts appears low because the threads will be drenched in oil? I understand oiled threads should be done up to a lower torque than dry threads for the same overall tightness if you get my meaning.
yes i believe this is true
Old 08-06-2015
Administrator
Administrator

I do torque the valve adjuster nuts. I use a crows foot on my torque wrench so I can still hold the adjusting screw with a screwdriver
Old 08-07-2015
Registered!!

With a crow's foot, do you have to multiply/divide the torque by some factor because you are now on the side and not directly on the nut?
Old 08-07-2015
Registered!!

I do torque the valve adjuster nuts. I use a crows foot on my torque wrench so I can still hold the adjusting screw with a screwdriver

i wouldn't think a torque wrench would be accurate using a crows foot
Old 08-07-2015
Registered!!

That was my thinking; you can't just slap a torque wrench on a crows foot and expect it to apply the same torque as it would on a socket. An adjustment factor is required, see here:

https://www.engineersedge.com/manufa...e_wrench_1.htm

Last edited by EdGasket; 08-07-2015 at 06:41 AM.
Old 08-07-2015

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

That was my thinking; you can't just slap a torque wrench on a crows foot and expect it to apply the same torque as it would on a socket. An adjustment factor is required, see here:

https://www.engineersedge.com/manufa...e_wrench_1.htm
DNRTFA.

IF you set the crowsfoot perpendicular to the wrench so there is no added length, the effective torque value will remain the same at 100%. (Don't nit pick over decimals on this.)

IF you set the crowsfoot sticking straight out (or in) so the effective length of the wrench is longer (or shorter) then you must calculate to compensate for the new length of the lever (torque wrench).

OTOH a crowsfoot is really short so there won't be a whole lot of change.
Old 08-07-2015
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ezone
IF you set the crowsfoot perpendicular to the wrench so there is no added length, the effective torque value will remain the same at 100%. (Don't nit pick over decimals on this.)
Precisely.

Yes it will change slightly, but it is not going to make that big of a difference. So if you have a precision (decimal) torque wrench with a calibration certificate then calculate away.
Old 08-10-2015
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Just seems to me that a moving part like the valve pushrod ought to need more torque to prevent the nut rattling loose.
remember, the camshaft for example spins. the valve adjustment does not.

among other things. Ask a mechanical engineer. (I am one :P)

feel free to over torque. not my problem Some will survive, some will do this:

Name:  DSC09636small.jpg
Views: 75008
Size:  124.7 KB
Old 08-11-2015
Administrator
Administrator

Originally Posted by ezone
DNRTFA.

IF you set the crowsfoot sticking straight out (or in) so the effective length of the wrench is longer (or shorter) then you must calculate to compensate for the new length of the lever (torque wrench).

OTOH a crowsfoot is really short so there won't be a whole lot of change.
Alright, so the engineer in me nerded out something fierce and I did the maths. Had a whole response typed out, decided against posting it.

Cliff's notes of my maths: Assuming the crows foot adds 1" to the torque wrench (set straight out) and indicating 14 ft-lbs, you'd be applying just over 15 ft-lbs to the nut. Not dangerously overtorqued. If you set it to 13ft-lbs, you'd be applying just over 14ft-lbs.

Technically speaking, if you set the crows foot perpendicularly, you would be adding a bit of length, albeit almost negligible (assuming a 12" torque wrench and the crows foot is 1", the difference in length would be .04", and the increase in torque applied would be .6ft-lbs, but that's me being nit-picky at the moment).

TL;DR: crows foot causes negligible difference in torque applied, regardless of positioning on the wrench.
Old 08-11-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
remember, the camshaft for example spins. the valve adjustment does not.

among other things. Ask a mechanical engineer. (I am one :P)

feel free to over torque. not my problem Some will survive, some will do this:

jeez I didn't realise those valve adjuster nuts could turn into bolts by overtorquing! (sorry couldn't resist)
Old 08-11-2015
Registered!!

Assuming the crows foot adds 1" to the torque wrench (set straight out) and indicating 14 ft-lbs, you'd be applying just over 15 ft-lbs to the nut. Not dangerously overtorqued. If you set it to 13ft-lbs, you'd be applying just over 14ft-lbs.
just like i said, its not accurate

Old 08-11-2015
Administrator
Administrator

jeez I didn't realise those valve adjuster nuts could turn into bolts by overtorquing! (sorry couldn't resist)

just like i said, its not accurate
But with maths, it can be
Old 08-11-2015
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Lol, good one
Old 11-26-2015
Registered!!

The sump plug torque specified for a steel sump is 32 ft-lb. However it does not specify if this is for dry or lubricated threads. As there are only about 4 or 5 threads in the typical pressed-steel Honda sump, I feel 32 ft-lb is too high for an oil change spec. I think the 32 ft-lb may come from the Honda spec for assembly in plant with dry threads and has just been copied to service manuals like Haynes.

After getting my daughter a Civic, I found the sump drain plug threads knackered but the sump threads took a new plug OK though I only tightened to 25 ft-lb with a bit of lock n' seal for good measure. 32ft-lb just seems too much for so few threads.

Any comments (apart from 'just snug it up' - I'm just not confident with that)?
Old 11-26-2015
Registered!!

The sump plug torque specified for a steel sump is 32 ft-lb.
are you talking about the oil pan drain plug?
Old 11-26-2015

Any comments (apart from 'just snug it up' - I'm just not confident with that)?

If one is using the correct spec aluminum drainplug sealing washer, it requires about 30 ft-lb to attain the "crush" necessary for it to seal as intended.
I can feel it crush as I pull on the wrench, but I know some people have absolutely no sense for these things.

Practical application:
I know both the pans and drainplug threads can last for lifetime of oil changes when done properly....but the engineers didn't leave hardly any room for error.
I know it all can be ruined either slowly or quickly by overtightening.

If you use a plug gasket that incorporates a rubber seal (or drainplug with an O ring seal), you don't need to get it very tight at all to make a good seal. Just gotta be tight enough to not fall out while driving.

I love this style of drainplug washers:

If I could find these in the right size for about 25 cents each I think we would keep some on hand at work:
Old 11-26-2015
Registered!!

i normally use nylon washers/gasket on the drain plug,

i dont use a torque wrench, never have,

i just tighten it to crush the nylon a bit so it doesn't leak,

when i remove the plug it doesn't take much effort with a wrench,

if i had to estimate the torque that i use on my drain plug i would say 15 pounds 20 max,

i think you are over thinking this,

as ezone said, as long as it seals and doesn't fall out you are fine, anything done up slightly more then hand tight aint gonna fall out IMO

i think beginners (not saying you are) tend to over tighten drain plugs
Old 11-26-2015

Picture the JizzyLube kids who are constantly screamed at for leaving drain plugs loose and you should be able to picure how they get so badly and consistently overtightened.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Torque Setting theory