6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

1998 transmission, gear ratio

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cruisers10 is an unknown quantity at this point
1998 transmission, gear ratio

HI, I have a 1998 Honda Civic EX with automatic transmission. I have about 170K mileage so far. I am experience slippage in gears when accelerating. The check engine light translates to P0730 "Incorrect Gear Ratio". I have done extensive research on the web and decided I'm going to replace the shift solenoids but don't know which one to replace because there is more than one Transmission fluid is fine. Honda says to replace linear solenoid, but from all the reviews that does not wHI, I have a 1998 Honda Civic LX with automatic transmission. I have about 115K mileage so far. I am experience slippage in gears when accelerating. The check engine light translates to P0730 "Incorrect Gear Ratio". I have done extensive research on the web and cannot find a solution or find out where the root cause of the problems is. The only thing I found was that, Sonnax has developed a replacement spring 88894 that has a wire diameter larger than the oem design. This supposedly reduces the stress on the spring, preventing future breakage. I don't know if this works or not. Transmission fluid is fine. Another caveat to this problem is that when the engine is cold, the transmission works fine. So this is in the morning when you start up the car. You can't even tell there is a problem shifting gears. After about 10-15 minutes when the car warms up, the harsh shifting occurs, and the transmission looses almost all the grip. You have to manually shift the gears to get the vehicle to move. Example, when you're at a stop sign on a hill in D4, the car will roll back. So this tells me this part or parts malfunctioning are highly sensitive to temperature. So as a temporary solution, you have to manually shift the gears from D2 to D3 to D4 when accelerating. I've been doing this for over 4 months now, and it is working for now. Another caveat to this problem is that when the engine is cold, the transmission works fine. So this is in the morning when you start up the car. You can't even tell there is a problem shifting gears. After about 10-15 minutes when the car warms up, the harsh shifting occurs, and the transmission looses almost all the grip. You have to manually shift the gears to get the vehicle to move. Example, when you're at a stop sign on a hill in D4, the car will roll back. So this tells me this part or parts malfunctioning are highly sensitive to temperature possibly? So as a temporary solution, you have to manually shift the gears from D2 to D3 to D4 when accelerating. I've been doing this for over 4 months now, and it is working for now.
Old 05-12-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 1998 transmission, gear ratio

Time for a rebuild or replacement transmission.