6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

Honda Civic 99 Care

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ChristinaVHH is an unknown quantity at this point
Honda Civic 99 Care

I am new here, I have also had my 99 civic for nearly 10 years.
I love that car, I know its just a car but I really care about it. I am mechanically inclined and booksmart, so anything that has had to be done to that car has been done by my father and I, just I or now my husband and I. So with a stellar maintenance record, no real issues.

It has 239000 miles on it and I am about to do the timing belt, water-pump, and thermostat chore this week with him. This car is not a 'race car' its not 'sooped up' or any of that business, its just a normal every day driving car. I recently gave the car to my husband so we could have 2 cars so now I drive an 09A4 and he drives the civic.

His driving is very aggressive, short stops, fast accelerating at every light, he basically drives my poor baby like its a race car, when its a 4 cylinder with no special bells and whistles. How can I convince him that to have the car last to maybe treat it like its, well, its age? And if that's not a road I'll go down, how much longer do ya'll think the poor girl's got in her.
Old 04-26-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Honda Civic 99 Care

His driving is very aggressive, short stops, fast accelerating at every light, he basically drives my poor baby like its a race car, when its a 4 cylinder with no special bells and whistles. How can I convince him that to have the car last to maybe treat it like its, well, its age? And if that's not a road I'll go down, how much longer do ya'll think the poor girl's got in her.
Not long enough to bother with the maintenance??

Does he drive other cars that way?
Have you "discussed" this with him? Even if you do, you may not change him, he will still abuse the car once out of your sight.

I recently gave the car to my husband so we could have 2 cars so now I drive an 09A4 and he drives the civic.
Maybe he HATES the car (or hates the fact you are driving a much newer car and he is not), and is determined to beat the snot out of it until it dies an untimely death so he can get a newer car too.

Maybe he HATES the economic situation he's in, as you seem to have the money and the cars.

Ego bruised?
Is it his first car?
Maybe he has a lot of growing up to do.
Old 05-10-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tim1959 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Honda Civic 99 Care

Christina,
You can try the financial approach.
Explain to your husband that his aggressive driving habits will wear out the car prematurely and also increase his maintenance & repair costs for his car.
Does he realize what a new car cost these days?
HTHs,
Tim
-----------------------------
Originally Posted by ChristinaVHH
I am new here, I have also had my 99 civic for nearly 10 years.
I love that car, I know its just a car but I really care about it. I am mechanically inclined and booksmart, so anything that has had to be done to that car has been done by my father and I, just I or now my husband and I. So with a stellar maintenance record, no real issues.

It has 239000 miles on it and I am about to do the timing belt, water-pump, and thermostat chore this week with him. This car is not a 'race car' its not 'sooped up' or any of that business, its just a normal every day driving car. I recently gave the car to my husband so we could have 2 cars so now I drive an 09A4 and he drives the civic.