6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

Dad needs help with civic for son

Old 06-24-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clbnksysdad is an unknown quantity at this point
Dad needs help with civic for son

iH. I'm sorry to post this here but I need help. I'm not a Civic guy, (i would love to do something twin v6 or with a rotary)but when my son sees any civic he gets excited(and a 4 cylinder is safer). He's always talking JDM, stanced, hellaflush, etc. He's 14 and gets his permit in November. His mom and I are having a baby and I want to find something we can work on to stay close and teach him about cars.

I want to get him a 96-00 civic sedan shell. What trim should i look for? I want the sedan just so he doesn't drive like an idiot. I need guidance on the engine. B series? K series? Some other series I don't know about? What should I do on suspension? I have no problem buying an engine and rebuilding it myself. Still want to balance budget and performance. Trying to avoid the 5 color civic with the fart can and steelies.
Old 06-24-2014
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Dad needs help with civic for son

The 6th gens are considered some of the best Civics made so far. Also probably the most highly modifiable as well with alot of aftermarket parts made for this generation. Also proving to be the most reliable generations of Civic so far as well. It's getting very hard to find a used one that hasn't been modified in someway or another.

There are basically 2 stock engines for this generation a D16y7 (100hp) non vtec and the D16y8 (137hp) vtec. I believe the EX/Si are the y8 engine. I'm not sure what your plans are but the y7 engine would be a better canditate for either a engine swap, a head swap (y8) or turbo setup. There are lots of bolt on mods (intake/header/exhaust) but they don't create much hp vs the cost.

6th gen Civic are also the only ones to have a double wishbone suspension and there are also lots of upgrade options here as well.

First things I would look at for this gen Civic would be tires/rims/suspension/window tint and then look for engine upgrading after that. Personally I'd go engine swap and if it was only going to be a weekend toy then turbo.
Old 06-24-2014
Registered!!

clbnksysdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Its going to be a teens car. I want to go JDM on the motor. B16 or B18. I want him to help on the motor swap. I'll buy parts but he's going to help put them on. Overhauling brakes and tires off the bat. Well drop it eventually. Not going turbo though.
Old 02-01-2019
Registered!!

Kye_low is an unknown quantity at this point

Yea ek generation is good. If he wants a stance car get a ex or hx she’ll. (Power windows, locks, etc...) if he wants a fast one ( which I don’t recommend for a first car ) get the lightest shell possible. Which would be something with roll up windows, manual locks, no sunroof, etc...) 8th gen civics are good for stance, they have good engines (R18 SOHC vtec motor, and the Si has a k24. I would highly recommend getting something cheap for him starting out.
Old 02-01-2019
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

Most bang for your buck/time would be a honda j30 swap (280hp v6 or j35 at 300hp).

It has been done in a few 6th gens. Obviously that's a much larger engine, I'm not sure if any modifications are needed to the frame/firewall.

Old 02-01-2019
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Four and a half year old thread, fellas. lol
Old 02-01-2019
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

@xRiCeBoYx lol, good call, didn't notice at all.
Old 07-26-2019
Registered!!

rayje0423 is an unknown quantity at this point

I wonder if he ever got it done.....
Old 11-14-2019
Registered!!

Jack Burton is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello , I'm a dad in the same situation.
I inherited a 1998 Hatchback Civic with 5 speed manual and 130K miles on the engine. Transmission was rebuilt 6 months ago. This little car was my Stepdad's mom's car. She bought it brand new and only drove it to the store every now and then.
Its in amazing condition. I would like to add some OEM style fog lights , maybe do some engine and exhaust upgrades.
Any advice on quality parts or dos/ donts to keep this little car running for a long time to come is much appreciated.
Thanks!