6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

1996 Honda Civic Distributor

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Canerrity is an unknown quantity at this point
1996 Honda Civic Distributor

I have a 1996 Honda Civic. My mechanic says it needs a new distributor and wiring. He gave a quote of $1100 CAD ($1000 US). Is this reasonable.

Also, this is the first major repair this car has required. I am wondering if it has reached the point where I should consider selling. It has less that 125000 miles.
Old 05-01-2014
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: 1996 Honda Civic Distributor

That seems really high!

125k miles is not a lot. It stills has a lot of life left In it. Not sure how the whole distributor went bad though. I thought you could replace all the individual components in it.
Old 05-01-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not there, I can't see what's wrong with it....

...But at only 125k I'd guess it's got no spark --- and would expect it only needs the coil replaced.

EASILY tested IF one knows what they are doing.
Sadly, not many know how to test anything these days it seems.

What is the problem, exactly, that makes one believe it needs a whole distributor? AND wiring?????

Name:  SzALe.png
Views: 34
Size:  486.8 KB
Old 05-06-2014
Registered!!

Canerrity is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks,

The car is not misbehaving at all. The engine light went on and this was what I was told the problem is. I have never had an engine defect in this car since purchased in 96. Just routine maintenance.
I was given a quote of $455 for the distributor and wiring. Probably needs a tuneup as well. That's still $500+ for labor. I am taking it to a mechanic of a friend this week.
Old 05-06-2014

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Canerrity
Thanks,

The car is not misbehaving at all. The engine light went on and this was what I was told the problem is.
I see. I figured it had died and wouldn't start.

If it has coded for one of the sensors inside the distributor, the only way you can get those is to replace the entire unit.

Be wary, cheap aftermarket distributors are a crapshoot. Half won't get out the door (try 4-5 in a row to get a good one!), the rest don't last worth a darn.
Old 05-09-2014
Registered!!

danwat12345 has a spectacular aura aboutdanwat12345 has a spectacular aura about

Are any compatible 6th gen Civic distributors water resistant? As in spraying water on it? I notice there is no gasket on the distributor cap (as far as I could tell)
Old 05-09-2014
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

hefty price, but if you can find the parts that are causing the issue, not so much.
http://www.hondapartscheap.com/auto-...5-speed-manual

the housing is the most expensive, due to age, i guess.

same for the harness. just find someone that knows how to find the spot that is causing the issue.

http://www.hondapartscheap.com/auto-...5-speed-manual
Old 05-09-2014

Originally Posted by danwat12345
Are any compatible 6th gen Civic distributors water resistant? As in spraying water on it? I notice there is no gasket on the distributor cap (as far as I could tell)
WaterPROOF, none really are ever waterproof.
Resistant, yes. IF the gasket is new and the cap is straight and good.

There is an O ring type rubber gasket to seal the cap, it's in a groove around the distributor base where the cap sits. If you still have an original seal in there it's probably worthless by now.

OE/dealer caps used to come with a new gasket.

#8 is the gasket here
Old 05-10-2014
SOHC Enthusiast

SeAmUs_MaCk will become famous soon enough

I would replace the ICM...If thats the code your getting....but most likely its the Coil....I just replaced my coil...Bought it FROM HONDA $136 US...they are like $75 in the store non-Honda Brand....That is WAYYYY to expensive....But the Coil and ICM together are about $230-300 depending on brand (ICM= Ignition Control Module) It basically tells the coil when to spark according to your timing. I didn't think you needed to replace the whole dizzy...But then again I could be wrong.....its not difficult to change either part out...ask someone to help you.....if you bought both, it would save you $800 lol....After 125k miles it would be a good idea if your getting codes and not running up to par, and not getting as good gas milage...I changed my cap, rotor, and coil, along with new NGK G-Power Spark plugs with wires, and there was such a huge difference...like night and day.....I have a stock D16y7 with 207,000 miles on my 98 Coupe....just change the oil....and the other common Honda parts that go bad after a while, and it will run forever....I also have a new Rad, Alternator, including all the spark parts we are talking about....if I just changed the oil and touched nothing else....I would bet my car will run another 200k miles....maybe change fuel pump....I still have 180 psi in all 4 cylinders so Im Happy with My DD