6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

1999 civic automatic shifting problems

Old 04-30-2014
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
skramer is an unknown quantity at this point
1999 civic automatic shifting problems

Hi all,
My daughters '99 civic is an automatic. I don't drive it much and just noticed that the gear selector is really sticky. I depressed the button and pulled the shifter back and it just didn't feel like any other car that I have ever driven. Once in gear, it runs great...through all the gears. Is there anything I can do to loosen this up? has anyone ever had this happen?

thank you
Scott
Old 04-30-2014
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light
Re: 1999 civic automatic shifting problems

Have you tried changing the transmission fluid? Using Honda ATF would be pretty cheap if that's all it needs.
Old 04-30-2014
Registered!!

No, I have not. the problem feels like some stickiness in the shifter. Maybe in the linkage somewhere. This car really shifts great through the gears while driving. its just getting it into the gears that seems sticky
Old 04-30-2014
Registered!!

Looking into it I bit further, could the guy I bought this car from just put really thick oil in the tranny to prevent slippage? I've heard that people will sometimes do this...
Old 04-30-2014
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light

I'm not sure. Since it's shifting between gears just fine it's probably not a fluid thing. Fluid changing is just good to change every so often and it's a cheap way to eliminate one possibility in your case. I'm sure one of our resident automotive experts will be here before too long.
Old 04-30-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I'd guess from the description that the problem will be in the shifter or cable.

People often spill sugary drinks on the shifter...... You should know what happens a couple weeks later.
Pull the shifter assembly off the floor, strip it, dunk it in hot soapy water for a while to loosen the syrup.

Then there's the shift cable, and the linkage and pivots where it connects under the trans.

I'd probably isolate, disconnect cable under the trans and see if the problem is still present. Then disconnect the cable from the shifter, check again.

You have some investigating to do.

HTH
Old 05-05-2014
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ali6500 should not be trusted

You need to change its transmission.
Old 05-05-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ali6500
You need to change its transmission.
^Why?^
Old 07-30-2014
Registered!!

Ali6500
no way. Change the transmission! I'm gonna try Ezones suggestion. Makes more sense to me.. Once in gear, this thing runs like a scalded dog. It just doesn't go into gear like either of my other Hondas have or any other car that I've ever owned for that matter