6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

1998 Honda Civic LX - TB/WP change + oil leak problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gremlin82 is an unknown quantity at this point
1998 Honda Civic LX - TB/WP change + oil leak problem

Hi guys

you all have been extremely helpful in helping me figure out the TB/WP change in this thread and this was very much appreciated. https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...ml#post4659544

as a background again, my 1998 Honda Civic LX car last change TB/WP when it is at 95K miles in late year 2005 by the previous owner. then it got sold to me in Jan 2006 and i am the second owner. now in year 2014, it is at 140K miles but due for change since 7-8 yrs has relapsed even though my driving mileage is relatively low. i do plan to keep the car for the foreseeable future

my car now has a side problem: there is oil leak from the front seal and rear main seal - but i was told it is minor at this point.

My questions:

1) my plan is to go ahead and have front cam/crank seal replaced while i do TB/WP change in the next few weeks (since mechanic will be working in that engine area afterall) - get it fixed in one go. but question here is, should i or do i also need to go ahead and replace the rear cam seal? or can i safely get by the next few years by not having that replaced, but only replacing the front seal?

2) reason for question #1 is because i understand replacing real seal involves a completely different or extra set of work since this requires pulling out the transmission, and hence presumably extra $$. what should i expect to pay for this extra cost of work - both labor and parts? need a ballpark figure here

3) back to the TB/WP question. there is a "basic" package i was offered at a supposedly reputable independent car shop where they use original honda parts and are quoting me $500 for the following work TB + WP + antifreeze.

but i can do the following "extras" with the associated cost if i wish to
- front cam/crank seal $50-60 [probably will go ahead to do it]
- rear cam seal [question 1 and 2 relates to this]
- tensioner/tension bearing spring $60
- driving belts (PS/AC/ALT) $30
- valve adjustment $47

should i go ahead and just get it all done for 'posterity' sake - since i intend to use the car for the next 2-3 years at the very least? the car shop mechanic/owner seems to think some of the "extras" i listed above is actually not very necessary. but i would like your thoughts in view of the fact that i still plan to keep the car for a while. additionally, plan to use the car extensively for upcoming spring/summer road-tripping this year.
in short, is there anything above that you consider truly optional or would you lean more towards highly recommended for getting them done?

thank you in advance again everyone.
Old 04-08-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 1998 Honda Civic LX - TB/WP change + oil leak problem

replace the rear cam seal?
You mean the rear crank seal?

or can i safely get by the next few years by not having that replaced,
Sure, if you don't mind a drip and checking your oil on a regular basis.

I guess it all depends on how bad the leak is, vs. pulling out the trans to replace a seal, which is a whole lot of labor $$$.

FWIW on this engine, when one removes the oil filter it dribbles oil and runs down the back of the engine towards the transmission. You might not really have a leak, they might just be seeing the runoff from past oil changes.

So keep that in mind. Might be worth cleaning the entire area underneath really good then drive it for a long while and see how long it takes for fresh oil leakage to show itself.

- front cam/crank seal $50-60 [probably will go ahead to do it]

- tensioner/tension bearing spring $60
- driving belts (PS/AC/ALT) $30
- valve adjustment $47
Yes, do all this unless you know for certain the bearing was already replaced last time the belt was done or you know the valves were adjusted recently. JMO.

Wait, only keeping it another 2-3 years? I figured this would make this area good for another 100k or 7 years.