6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

Crank Shaft Position Sensor Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
m5u4r3p2h1y is an unknown quantity at this point
Crank Shaft Position Sensor Question

Hi. I recently had my car CEL diagnosed and Honda said I had a faulty crank TDC sensor. I believe they meant crankshaft position sensor. They gave me a part number 37500P2FA01 which I see for $50-100 althought they wanted to charge me 220$. Anyways I read on other forums that this sensor is within the distributor which I have to buy altogether, but why would the sensor be sold separately then? So my question is do I need to replace my crankshaft position sensor or my distributor?

P.S my car is a 1999 honda civic EX with a 1.6 L engine.

Thanks
Old 02-26-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Crank Shaft Position Sensor Question

So my question is do I need to replace my crankshaft position sensor or my distributor?
Post the code number please, then we can decide if the part number is correct and talk about it.
Anyways I read on other forums that this sensor is within the distributor which I have to buy altogether, but why would the sensor be sold separately then?
Cars are all different. You gotta deal with your car specifically, not cars that might be 5-10 years older or newer than yours.

37500P2FA01
37500-P2F-A01
Going by the part number you gave (did YOU look it up yourself online yet??) it has the name of "SENSOR ASSY., CRANK-TDC" sensor in the parts catalog, and it is also sometimes called a CKF (crankshaft fluctuation sensor) because it is used to measure crank deflection (fluctuation) for OBD2 misfire monitoring.
It could be called just a plain crank sensor, crankshaft sensor, CKP sensor, or crankshaft position sensor too. There might be a dozen different names for it.

See if the wires got cut open by the alternator belt, that seems to be the most common thing I have seen---usually shortly after someone did a timing belt job and didn't tuck the wires back into the holder on the timing cover.

which I see for $50-100 althought they wanted to charge me 220$.
Didn't you inquire as to why? Do you think it should be installed for free?

Last edited by ezone; 02-26-2014 at 07:23 PM.
Old 02-26-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
m5u4r3p2h1y is an unknown quantity at this point

"Post the code number please, then we can decide if the part number is correct and talk about it."
The honda guys didnt give me the code. Just the sensor that came up.

"Going by the part number you gave (did YOU look it up yourself online yet??) it has the name of "CRANK-TDC" sensor in the parts catalog, and it is also sometimes called a CKF (crankshaft fluctuation sensor) because it is used to measure crank deflection (fluctuation) for OBD2 misfire monitoring.
It could be called just a plain crank sensor, crankshaft sensor, CKP sensor, or crankshaft position sensor too. There might be a dozen different names for it."
What parts catalog are you looking at? Everytime I search the part number the name is crankshaft position sensor. This is different than the crankshaft fluctuation sensor.

"Didn't you inquire as to why? Do you think it should be installed for free?"
I hadn't looked up the part when they told me this cost and no it shouldn't be installed for free. I was merely stating the part cost not the labour.
Old 02-26-2014

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

The honda guys didnt give me the code. Just the sensor that came up.
Poop.

What parts catalog are you looking at?
I first looked it up in my US dealer catalog.

This time I used a couple internet catalogs so I can post the links and you can see...

Ok, the USA price for that part number is almost $60, online it can be had for 41.
Item #14 in this USA link http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...NER+%28SOHC%29

Canada: Link to the listing http://torontohondaparts.com/PartsLi...ine&illid=6540
Item #14 matches the part number you gave, and it's $215.
See item #25 in that link, it has the name you are using but may not be for your particular car.

Assuming I looked up the correct version of your car.

If you really want to, try entering your cars VIN into the online parts catalog and let it choose for you, based on your VIN.

I hadn't looked up the part when they told me this cost and no it shouldn't be installed for free. I was merely stating the part cost not the labour.
For that price, you must be in Canada, eh?
THAT explains the incredibly high price quote you got.
Sorry, I thought since the USA price I looked up first was so low, your quote would have included labor to replace it. My bad. I didn't realize Canada was so high.

Ok got to looking a bit closer at the differences according to my USA dealer catalog...

37500-P2F-A01 SENSOR ASSY., CRANK-TDC (TEXAS INSTRUMENTS) is for cars built in USA and Canada. (VIN begins with 1 or 2)

37501-P2J-J01 SENSOR, CRANK-TDC (DENSO) is for cars built in Japan. (VIN begins with J)

Everytime I search the part number the name is crankshaft position sensor. This is different than the crankshaft fluctuation sensor.
Different, yes, but the item your part number shows is also known as a CKF sensor, trust me.
THIS is why having the actual fault code is important.
Remember, there might be a dozen different names for any given part.
The factory service manual can call something a completely different name than what the factory parts catalog calls it.
I deal with it every day, and the issue is not exclusive to Honda.

I have to know many different names for almost any given item, and be able to choose things based on a description of what it does or where it is located, instead of what some department beancounter calls it.
Old 02-26-2014

Different, yes, but the item your part number shows is also known as a CKF sensor, trust me.
Look up codes P1336 and P1337 for a 99 Civic in the factory service manual, those both have to do with the CKF sensor, and it is this very sensor you are questioning.

Codes P0335, P0336, P1361, P1362, P1381, and P1382 all have to do with the CKP, CYP, and TDC sensors within the distributor.

Again, this is why knowing the actual fault code is important.