6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

led headlights

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thamikestab0y56 is an unknown quantity at this point
led headlights

hey guys. ill be getting a 6th gen honda civic coupe soon and im lookin at replacing the halogen headlights with leds rather than go with hids. has anyone put led headlights on their civics before? what's the best way to do it? thanks.
Old 02-11-2014
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: led headlights

I haven't seen anyone do it before, nor do I know how the light output would be, but it'd be awesome if you could be our proverbial guinea pig. There are companies out there that sell LED headlight bulb systems (one I know of is v-leds), so that would probably be your best bet. Downside is they're backordered on H4 sets until mid March and their fancy-pants bulbs are usually spendy as hell (like $120 for the LED kit)

If you do decide to do this, PLEASE post up pictures. If you can, comparison shots of OEM halogen to the LEDs. I'm curious as to whether or not you'll experience glare issues like some do when they install HIDs in stock housings. Also incredibly curious as to light output difference.

edit: just took a look at the bulb specs of their LEDs. Good color temperature, in my opinion. I've always been a fan of 5000k over other color temps. They claim 2000lm per bulb (halogen is [per google-fu] somewhere around 1000lm, and TRS Morimoto 3Five's are around ~4200, assuming 120lm/watt). That said, light output should improve over halogen, but not quite as good as HID.

Last edited by xRiCeBoYx; 02-11-2014 at 04:47 PM.
Old 02-11-2014
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

I have been curious about the LED's also.

eZone posted a site before that sold LED headlights. I'll see if I can find it.
Old 02-11-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GolNat
I have been curious about the LED's also.

eZone posted a site before that sold LED headlights. I'll see if I can find it.
http://www.jwspeaker.com/
Old 02-11-2014
Registered!!

thamikestab0y56 is an unknown quantity at this point

I looked at both sites and I like what jw speaker has in terms of projectors. I am having mixed reactions as to whether or not it would fit in the factory housing or if i should get aftermarket projectors and remove the existing projector and bulb if i decide to go with the projector ones... as far as the bulbs, i saw the image on one of the v-leds bulbs that compared 5k and 6k. i prefer 6k because i prefer pure white over slight yellowish white and to me the 6k looked legitimately white. it looks as if they don't have a 6k version for part #9003...

Last edited by thamikestab0y56; 02-11-2014 at 09:53 PM.
Old 02-11-2014
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

You'll get better light output (more visible light on the ground) while still maintaining a pure white look with 5000k. 6000k, to me, starts to give a blue-ish vibe to it.

So, I was gonna be lazy and not look at the jwspeaker site, but I did anyways. The projector (of which I'm assuming you're referring to the 90mm projectors they have), you'd have to retrofit into some headlights yourself. The v-led ones are direct bulb replacements. Choice is yours in the end.
Old 02-13-2014
Registered!!

Couran is an unknown quantity at this point

the lateral illumination is not achieved by the light bulb but by the headlight hosing. so if you are getting more lateral shine is because of light diffusing out of control and therefore blinding oncoming traffic. in a word, ILLEGAL.
Old 12-01-2017
Registered!!

cranberryman is an unknown quantity at this point

I would suggest checking out Lasfit LED headlights. They have 9006/HB4 bulbs available for sale on Amazon. I put the H11's into my Honda Accord and am looking into putting the HB4's into my dad's civic.I've been extremely satisfied with how they look in my car because they have a very pure white light compared to other LED's I've used before. The Samsung LED chip lights I used had pretty bad output and were quite dim.
Old 12-01-2017
Administrator
Administrator

Hmm.. I might look into those. I know LED bulb performance has greatly improved since this thread was created, and has gotten a hair cheaper. I'm gonna see if they have 2500-3000k h8's for my 2018's fogs. Lol
Old 12-02-2017
Registered!!

cranberryman is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah I would definitely recommend checking them out. I know they're a fairly new company and are very open to their customer recommendations for improvements. Also looking through their reviews it seems like they always reach out to any customers who have any problems with their products and try to help them solve it.
Old 12-02-2017
Administrator
Administrator

Always a good sign from a new company. Checked 'em out, unfortunately they've only got the standard 6000K bulbs for now. Reasonably priced, I must add. My only issue with LED headlight bulbs at the moment is the throw, or rather the lack thereof. Compared to halogen and HID, the throw of LED bulbs is typically quite short.