6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

98 Civic EX spark plug blew out of engine

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rujoesmith is an unknown quantity at this point
98 Civic EX spark plug blew out of engine

I was driving around yesterday with no problems when out of nowhere a loud bang came from under the hood followed by what sounded like a popped tire hitting against the wheel well.

Popped the hood and found that the #3 spark plug had blown out of the cylinder leaving a noticeable dent which even made a crack in the paint on the top side of the hood. When I tried to replace the plug with a new one I noticed there was no longer any threads for the spark plug to screw into and had to have it towed.

The engine still started (but sounded awful) and for some reason no check engine lights came on. I replaced the head gasket myself about 6 months ago as well as swapping out the studs with ARP's, and this is the first problem ive had since.

can the hole can simply be re threaded? Or is the problem more likely the piston has snapped off the rod and screwed up the entire cylinder? Any advice/input would be much appreciated.

Engine is a D16Y8 with 147k

Thanks!
Old 09-15-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 98 Civic EX spark plug blew out of engine

It can be fixed without removing the head.

You can't just retap the threads, that doesn't work.

Thread inserts are available to repair this issue. I'd expect most parts stores would have them available. I'd go with a well known brand name. (Choose the kit carefully--- I have had to modify tools to get the job done, due to the deep spark plug holes in some cylinder heads.)

Google: 'spark plug thread repair'.

If you DIY it, make sure all the valves are closed on the affected cylinder before you begin, because the tools can bend valves that happen to be open at the time.

If you trash it by botching the DIY, you might have to pull the head off to get it fixed.
Old 09-15-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
youmadeyou is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm interested in knowing what caused this ? if anyone knows !
Old 09-15-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Um, previously boogered threads is my guess.

It's not like these engines have a problem with blowing plugs out, like some other manufacturers.......