6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

Front speaker wiring

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AK750 is an unknown quantity at this point
Front speaker wiring

Hi everyone
Im new to the forum and just picked up a 00civic for cheap. I put a deck in the other day and now im trying to get the front speakers going. The front left does not work at all and the front right cuts in and out as the door opens and does not work closed. Wondering do i have to pull these wires out of he harness to replace or can i match the colors from under the dash to the doors. Then cut them under the dash and run new wire along side the old ones to the speakers. Also the diagram in the haynes manual shows different colors than are actually in the door. Is it likely they are wrong for this year or did someone already put different wires in. It did say typical stereo diagram so i figured it may have just been off. Any help is much appreciated. Hoping it wont be an issue to run the wires from under dash. I have done alot of work on bikes but not very familiar with cars...hoping to learn and do most of the stuff on this myself.
Thanks
Old 07-25-2013
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Front speaker wiring

I would just leave the old wires there and run a new set from the stereo to the speakers directly. Anytime you cut and splice, you are adding another potential area for a short.

Although, if you do want to remove the old wires, you can attach them to the new wires to pull the new ones through the grommet. Might make for an easier install.
Old 07-25-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AK750 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yea i figure thats what ill do. I got some wire at lunch today and made it acessible to get at the deck wiring. Only issue is running the new wire out into the door. I see the harness under the glove box after it comes in the car but cant find the same color wires in that bundle as are in the door so i dont think ill be able to pull them through. Does the rubber cover near the door hinge come out with the doors on? Hoping after work i can pull the rubber back and habe room in there to run the wire... tested speakers already when i disconnected the wires coming out of the deck...they sound good...now i just gotta get them through that rubber and into the door.
Old 07-25-2013
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of light

I used the stock wiring so not sure how hard it is to feed through the rubber sleeve. I know in any other car I have done, it was a royal pain. Have you tried looking behind the kick panel to see if you can see where the wires come into the body at? I imagine if you have electronic locks and windows, you will still have to trace the wire color.

It may be possible to use some 12 gauge solid core wire to push from inside the door into the cabin through the sleeve. Then you could use that to pull the wires through. Just not sure how much extra room there is in the sleeve.