6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

2000 rpm Idle on 96 EX

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
enkindel is an unknown quantity at this point
2000 rpm Idle on 96 EX

When I push my clutch in many times instead of a normal 800rpm idle it will be anywhere from 2000 to 2500, whichever it is at it will stay steady but is just way too high.

The good news is I have an idea where this problem originated.

I purchased this car about 6 months ago and noticed the TPS sensor was unhooked, I continued to run it this way after I unsuccessfully tried to reset the code. About a week ago I finally hooked it back up and successfully reset the code, now it runs muuuuuch better and is more responsive and at 55-65 it is only about 2500 rpm istead of 3500 rpm it ran at when the TPS sensor was unhooked... but I have a new problem now and thats when I pull up to a stop light or slow down and have my clutch pushed in the rpm go up to 2000 or 2500 while Im not driving, now as soon as I let out on the clutch and creep forward it will act like normal and drop down to 700 or so until I push the clutch back in and then it goes back up to 2-2.5k rpm.

Anyone have any ideas, something wrong with the throttle body, a bad seal perhaps?
Old 02-09-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2000 rpm Idle on 96 EX

Your CEL works, yes?
The computer should have coded for the TPS while it was unplugged. Clear the code.

Drive it....
See if it sets codes for the TPS now that it is plugged in.

What is the TPS voltage with the throttle closed?
IF that value is wrong, the computer may hold the IAC open.
Old 02-09-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Your CEL works, yes?
The computer should have coded for the TPS while it was unplugged. Clear the code.

Drive it....
See if it sets codes for the TPS now that it is plugged in.

What is the TPS voltage with the throttle closed?
IF that value is wrong, the computer may hold the IAC open.
Yes it showed the code when not plugged up, plugged up I cleared the code and it has not yet thrown the code again.

What should the voltage be when it is closed, I can check this over the weekend.

Soon as I take off the idle drops down like it should to 700ish as soon as I start to creep away it drops to normal, its only when the clutch is completely held in, such as at a stoplight.
Old 02-09-2013

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by enkindel
What should the voltage be when it is closed,
0.49v at closed throttle, or damn close to it (+/- 0.02v ?). 99.99% will show 0.49v on a scanner datalist. If I see one that isn't, I start looking for a problem.

Soon as I take off the idle drops down like it should to 700ish as soon as I start to creep away it drops to normal, its only when the clutch is completely held in, such as at a stoplight.
I'm trying to figure out if you mean you can cause the RPM to drop by using the clutch to load the engine, or if the idle will naturally drop once the vehicle is rolling, no load on the engine.
Old 02-10-2013
Registered!!

"the idle will naturally drop once the vehicle is rolling, no load on the engine."

Yes this. High RPM as Im standing still with the clutch pushed in, or even in neutral with no clutch, but as soon as I start moving forward the RPM will drop in the range it should be.
Old 02-10-2013

So...you mean that if you get it rolling at 3 or 5 MPH and push the clutch in, the idle speed drops to 700ish? If you let the car coast to a stop, does the RPM stay normal or does it raise by itself again?

If you shut it off, then restart it, does the idle stay normal or not?

Sounds like an electronic control issue right now....Would need to see what the engine datalist looks like, may be more clues in that.

Hmmmm.......Not sure what to think.....

Dumb thought, did someone manage to get the connectors swapped between the MAP and TPS? The connectors are the same and can swap with some effort on many of the cars. I forget exactly how one runs if those get swapped (lousy), but maybe that's why the one was left off....

While the engine is racing, make sure one of the throttle cables isn't too tight and holding throttle open.
Pull the breather snorkel off and plug off the IAC passage hole with your fingers. Does that make the idle drop?

Have you performed an idle relearn yet?
Old 02-10-2013
Registered!!

So...you mean that if you get it rolling at 3 or 5 MPH and push the clutch in, the idle speed drops to 700ish? If you let the car coast to a stop, does the RPM stay normal or does it raise by itself again?

If you shut it off, then restart it, does the idle stay normal or not?

Sounds like an electronic control issue right now....Would need to see what the engine datalist looks like, may be more clues in that.

Hmmmm.......Not sure what to think.....

Dumb thought, did someone manage to get the connectors swapped between the MAP and TPS? The connectors are the same and can swap with some effort on many of the cars. I forget exactly how one runs if those get swapped (lousy), but maybe that's why the one was left off....

While the engine is racing, make sure one of the throttle cables isn't too tight and holding throttle open.
Pull the breather snorkel off and plug off the IAC passage hole with your fingers. Does that make the idle drop?

Have you performed an idle relearn yet?
Well if the clutch is pushed in then no the RPMs will still stay high. but I mean when you let out of the clutch and like you said are going 5 mph then the RPM will be really low like it should be but the second you push that clutch in it goes high.

I havent performed anything on it, I took it the Honda shop and they reset the code and hooked up the TPS for me I was taking it there to see if they could get a rounded off drain plug removed for me since wal mart couldnt do it, of course they attempted to sale me a whole new oil pan which I took it to a tire shop and got it off and an oil change for 30 dollars an hour later... lol. I just figured while near the honda shop Id see if they could look it over and see what all they saw wrong with it so I could fix in the future somewhere else haha. I dont have jack stands so Im limited to what I can see and do.

Ill see what I can do over the next two days off and see if shutting it off and restarting it gives me a normal idle when Im at a stoplight and notice it high. I will check the throttle cable too like you mentioned as well, Ill see if I can start with the small stuff and work up.
Old 02-10-2013

Well if the clutch is pushed in then no the RPMs will still stay high. but I mean when you let out of the clutch and like you said are going 5 mph then the RPM will be really low like it should be but the second you push that clutch in it goes high.

So.....you cause a load on the engine by using the clutch to start the car moving and the RPM comes down, that is correct and normal, you can kill the engine if you let the clutch out too fast.

Now I'm guessing you just have an excessively high idle speed (a much simpler issue).

Does the RPM surge up and down at closed throttle, from 1200-2000 repeatedly?
If no, then look at TPS and ECT values on a scanner datalist. If the ECT indicates operating temperature of 180*-212*F, then the TPS is probably a bit higher than 0.49v...throttle stuck open or TPS way out of whack.
If yes, then look for stuck IAC, vacuum leaks, and anything else that can cause high uncontrolled idle.
Old 02-10-2013
Registered!!

So.....you cause a load on the engine by using the clutch to start the car moving and the RPM comes down, that is correct and normal, you can kill the engine if you let the clutch out too fast.

Now I'm guessing you just have an excessively high idle speed (a much simpler issue).

Does the RPM surge up and down at closed throttle, from 1200-2000 repeatedly?
If no, then look at TPS and ECT values on a scanner datalist. If the ECT indicates operating temperature of 180*-212*F, then the TPS is probably a bit higher than 0.49v...throttle stuck open or TPS way out of whack.
Yeah I think that sums it up, it stays at a pretty steady 2kish, sometimes higher, have seen it up to 2.5k but whatever its at it will stay steady.

Thanks for the great info, if it wasnt raining today Id go check it out. This scanner datalist for ECT and TPS is something I can have autozone do for me I guess? Sorry Im a complete noob.
Old 02-10-2013

Easy stuff first: See if the throttle is hanging open. See if the cables are too tight. With the engine running, twist the throttle to close it. If the RPMs come down to normal, you found most of the problem.

See, I don't think the same way you would need to to accomplish things, I think like I would if the car was in my bay. I do as much as I can from the comfort of the drivers seat.

No, I doubt the code readers at the Zoo can display live engine data. A better scanner would be needed if it came down to needing that info.