6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

1999 honda civic ex coupe stuck in theft mode?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ashley.renee is an unknown quantity at this point
1999 honda civic ex coupe stuck in theft mode?

The keyless entry button to my car got washed in the laundry last night so it is no longer working. I tried leaving it in rice and drying it out with a hairdryer. Whenever I unlock the door with my key and open it the alarm goes off. The only way to stop it is to unhook the battery or close the door and lock it back with the key. Because the car is in theft mode I cannot crank it or anything. Went by the honda dealership and they said it's probably stuck in theft mode so a new button will not help. I cannot drive it to them so I'd have to have it towed but I don't have the money to tow it. Does anyone know how to override the anti-theft system or what I can do to fix this?
Old 02-06-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 1999 honda civic ex coupe stuck in theft mode?

USA (market) car or Canadian car?
Factory or aftermarket system?

Factory fob (typical)

Got the user manual for the security system? (I was looking for user manual info about the valet switch, but couldn't download the info right now.)

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say to TRY remove fuse #6 from the dash fusebox and see what happens with the alarm. (I have NO idea if this will do anything helpful.)

If no help, put the fuse back in.

Next I'd try disconnecting the security control unit. Just unplug the one large connector from the box. See if the car will start now.
Location and drawing are on page 6, step 18 of these instructions (best I could find on the net on short notice) http://www.handa-accessories.com/civ...ritylxexvp.pdf

EDIT: Note: I can only guess this should work, all I have to work with are wire diagrams and internet.

Then get a new fob that works?

Last edited by ezone; 02-06-2013 at 08:13 PM.
Old 02-06-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ashley.renee is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you! I am going to try to remove the fuse tomorrow since I don't want to wake the neighbors up. Haha. I will let you know if it all works!

Also, it is a USA car and it is all stock, no aftermarket.
Old 02-06-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Great.

Read through those instructions I linked so you know where to disconnect the security control unit--- if the fuse alone doesn't take care of it.