6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

I thought these cars were supposed to get 30+mpg???

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
modular2v is an unknown quantity at this point
I thought these cars were supposed to get 30+mpg???

Hey guys. Im new to civics as I just bought a 97 with the 1.6 non vtec. Im completely ignorant when it comes to these cars as im a die hard mustang guy. Can anyone please tell me why my little 2 door 5spd car is only getting 240miles per tank? My 600hp mustang gets better fuel mileage than that and with milage this bad it defeats the purpose of the car. The kid I bought it from has in lowered on its *** with 17s, a header and off road pipe of dome sort and a spectre cold air. Any ideas on how I can get this thing to pull better mpg? Oh and im not trying to bash honda but im thinking something has to be up with this car becauseit is literally too slow to get out of its own way in 5th gear while climbing a hill with cruisecontrol on. The car is so slow that it feels unsafe on the highway. Please help guys!
Old 01-03-2013
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: I thought these cars were supposed to get 30+mpg???

It's an economy car so its going to be slow. Your going to need more horsepower to be able go up a hill with the cruise on in 5th and have a car actually move. Remove all the aftermarket parts, return it to stock. Then check (replace) plugs, o2 sensors, air filter, put economy tires back on and try your mpg again. The computer is probably all out of whack!
Old 01-03-2013
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of light

What does 240 miles per tank mean? How many gallons are you putting in when you fill it? Your Mustang, (which if it really does produce 600HP probably only gets 10-15MPG) has a fuel tank probably twice the size of the Honda.
If you are basing it off of the fuel gauge, that will tell you nothing. I have an auto and the first half tank will provide 200 miles but the second half will only provide 100 miles.
Does that mean I get 50% less mileage out of the second half of the tank? No, it means the gauge doesn't read correctly. But based on gallons used, I averaged 34.2mpg on a trip to San Diego last week. Not bad for a 94 with auto averaging 80 at 3500rpm.
Compute by the gallons used and then you will have an accurate number. And if you already are and are basing it off of 10 gallons at a fill up, then yes, there is something wrong (depending on your driving style, 600hp mustang drivers usually have lead feet)
And no, a 100 hp civic will not pull a hill in 5th gear.
Old 01-03-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by TiggerDX
What does 240 miles per tank mean? How many gallons are you putting in when you fill it? Your Mustang, (which if it really does produce 600HP probably only gets 10-15MPG) has a fuel tank probably twice the size of the Honda.
If you are basing it off of the fuel gauge, that will tell you nothing. I have an auto and the first half tank will provide 200 miles but the second half will only provide 100 miles.
Does that mean I get 50% less mileage out of the second half of the tank? No, it means the gauge doesn't read correctly. But based on gallons used, I averaged 34.2mpg on a trip to San Diego last week. Not bad for a 94 with auto averaging 80 at 3500rpm.
Compute by the gallons used and then you will have an accurate number. And if you already are and are basing it off of 10 gallons at a fill up, then yes, there is something wrong (depending on your driving style, 600hp mustang drivers usually have lead feet)
And no, a 100 hp civic will not pull a hill in 5th gear.
I fill the tank to max capicity in the civic which I know is approx 12 gallons. Doing the math isnt hard! The mustang does pull 18mpg. Thanks for the helpful advice about returning the car to stock as I was planning to. I was honestly concerned about the car being able to pull a hill in 5th and wasnt trying to bash honda at all. I appreciate the advice . I dont have a lead foot even in the stang. Im a landman and bought the civic to put miles on and travel.
Old 01-03-2013
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

1) use smaller rims, the 17 depending on tire size might be off in outer diameter
Note that if you drive highway a lot, heavier wheel/tire will maintain momentum and get you better mileage. if you do stop-go traffic, you better with lighter sets.
2) when in downhill, remove foot from the throttle, the gas will cut and there's where you get mileage.
3) what maintenance did you do? clogged filters wacks the efficiency of engine. less than 100 HP will feel this way more than more powerful engines.
Old 01-03-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
1) use smaller rims, the 17 depending on tire size might be off in outer diameter
Note that if you drive highway a lot, heavier wheel/tire will maintain momentum and get you better mileage. if you do stop-go traffic, you better with lighter sets.
2) when in downhill, remove foot from the throttle, the gas will cut and there's where you get mileage.
3) what maintenance did you do? clogged filters wacks the efficiency of engine. less than 100 HP will feel this way more than more powerful engines.
Not tooting my own horn but I consider myself the king of maintenance. I keep scheduled books of all my vehicles
Old 01-03-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

*ahem*

My 600hp mustang

Sorry. Couldn't pass it up. HAD to do it.

Can anyone please tell me why my little 2 door 5spd car is only getting 240miles per tank?
It's either normal, or it isn't.
Cars' fault, or drivers' fault.

Or serious math fail.
Care to state TRUE miles per gallon, as calculated in the accepted and correct manner, averaged over multiple tanks of fuel?

Most other cars I have had in the past would only get about 200 miles per tank of gas, and 200 was pushing it near the "walk" line on the gauge. I was happy with 200.
My Park Avenue had an 18 gallon tank, I could reach 300 miles with it.

in 5th gear while climbing a hill with cruisecontrol on
Don't drive like that.
Most cruise control setups can't pull the throttle all the way open, so of course it can't "pull the hill".

literally too slow to get out of its own way
It's an econobox. It doesn't have much power.
But at the same time, it shouldn't run crappy either.
If something is drastically wrong with the way it runs, that can kill a lot of gas mileage.
Im completely ignorant when it comes to these cars
I might suggest you take it to someone that KNOWS what they are doing and has plenty of experience with small cars like this.
Have them drive it.
Any mechanic with more than 3 working brain cells SHOULD be able to tell if it runs "OK" or if it has something "drastically wrong".

lowered on its ***..... , a header and off road pipe of dome sort and a spectre cold air. Any ideas on how I can get this thing to pull better mpg?
Yes.

with 17s
FWIW, I just put 18s on my '12 Civic and it's killing some of the gas mileage. Not exactly sure how much yet, but it seems significant.
Old 01-03-2013
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

good to hear you works on maintenance of your loved ones

some differences apply, since this thread is for the 7th gen cars, but see if you can find any honda engine specific item that you could have not noticed in here:

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...e-up-mods.html

just as an example of the honda engine quirks, in every one of the overheating threads, we say "the head gasket failed" and invariably most say: "but there is no coolant in the oil!"
surprise, surprise, a big portion of them need to change gasket after all. these engines push combustion gases to coolant, not coolant to the oil, even with a small portion of the gasket failing, the gases will go though. so small that when the engine is not running, the coolant does not go to combustion chamber. but the gases WILL go out when running. Not likely other car makers...

Last edited by sdaidoji; 01-03-2013 at 07:57 PM.
Old 01-04-2013
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of light

Again I go back to how many gallons are you putting in? I know how big the tank is. Doesn't mean you are using it all.
Filling it full from a half tank and getting 240 miles would be great.
Until you provide the number of gallons on a fill and the odometer was reset at the last fill you have no idea of what your mileage is.
Old 01-04-2013
Registered!!

Hence why I said 240miles per tank! Thats resetting the trip meter at each fill up and looking at it when the tank is empty!
Old 01-04-2013
Registered!!

Blazz is an unknown quantity at this point

my wife and I have the same car as you.. she gets about 30mpg in her car I get more on the 35-40mpg.. her car is stock. I have a cat back.. i can hear my car so i shift by the sound not rpm.. in her car she will drive 55 in 4th, i have to tell her the car has 5 gears all the time when im in the car with her.

her car is not as loud as mine so she don't shift the same as me.

what im saying is how you drive the car will make a big deal on mpg.
Old 01-04-2013
PITA Admin
Administrator

Originally Posted by modular2v
Hence why I said 240miles per tank! Thats resetting the trip meter at each fill up and looking at it when the tank is empty!
if you don't want to answer that, fine. I am OK with that, tho they just trying to help you.

instead, did you read the link i posted? there's definitely some tricks on the honda engine quirks that actually does not do much in other cars, but could help a honda, listed in there.
Old 01-04-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
*ahem*

It's either normal, or it isn't.
Cars' fault, or drivers' fault.

Or serious math fail.
Care to state TRUE miles per gallon, as calculated in the accepted and correct manner, averaged over multiple tanks of fuel?

Most other cars I have had in the past would only get about 200 miles per tank of gas, and 200 was pushing it near the "walk" line on the gauge. I was happy with 200.
My Park Avenue had an 18 gallon tank, I could reach 300 miles with it.

Don't drive like that.
Most cruise control setups can't pull the throttle all the way open, so of course it can't "pull the hill".

If something is drastically wrong with the way it runs, that can kill a lot of gas mileage.

I might suggest you take it to someone that KNOWS what they are doing and has plenty of experience with small cars like this.
Have them drive it.
Any mechanic with more than 3 working brain cells SHOULD be able to tell if it runs "OK" or if it has something "drastically wrong".

Yes.

FWIW, I just put 18s on my '12 Civic and it's killing some of the gas mileage. Not exactly sure how much yet, but it seems significant.
So how much power my stang makes, makes me a size queen?? Lol I was simply making a point that this car is 110% useless if it cant get good gas mileage
Old 01-05-2013

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

So how much power my stang makes, makes me a size queen?? Lol I was simply making a point that this car is 110% useless if it cant get good gas mileage
Did you miss this part under the pic?
Originally Posted by ezone
*ahem*

/Obligatory

Then the REST of the important stuff:

Have them drive it.
If that little car really gets crappy mileage, there's a reason.
Find out the reason.

WE can't tell if it is your fault or the cars' fault.

WE can't tell if it is getting crappy gas mileage or not, YOU don't seem to be able to post any PROOF that supports your claims.

I sure can't see it and drive it from here. None of us can.

What, did you want a silver bullet or something?

My own Civic shows about 24 MPG right now......But I know exactly why.
Old 01-05-2013
PITA Admin
Administrator

definitely suspecting he is a troll, since he did not bother to answer my question... even if he is supposed to be the interested part in this...

won't try to defuse anymore...

bye modular, and g'lucky if you are actually serious... I have better stuff to do.
Old 01-05-2013
Registered!!

definitely suspecting he is a troll, since he did not bother to answer my question... even if he is supposed to be the interested part in this...

won't try to defuse anymore...

bye modular, and g'lucky if you are actually serious... I have better stuff to do.
Damn... was just trying to get an opinion. These angry weed eaters are new to me. No offense intended guys. Btw... I was a ford mechanic for 3yrs and have built several ohv and ohc motors so I inow a thing or two

Last edited by modular2v; 01-05-2013 at 12:44 AM.
Old 01-07-2013
Registered!!

danwat12345 has a spectacular aura aboutdanwat12345 has a spectacular aura about

You have to shift down to get power, not that much power at sub 3000RPM. Don't be afraid to run it towards redline and mash it if you are passing someone, that's normal operation as long as you don't do it all the time, and even then if the engine is in good condition with good fluids and the oil is hot then go for it. You'll get up to speed

If you aren't then something is out of tune. Try something simple like check the throttle cable position, sometimes with age the cable can permanently stretch somehow so you have to adjust it. Plug in a scanner if it's not as simple as that.

The average MPG for this car is about 31MPG on Fuelly so it's not epic but it's not bad. Most new econoboxes that aren't super small or hybrids don't get much better. They are getting better tho
Old 01-08-2013
PITA Admin
Administrator

only response to above was to the #3, as seen below...

Not tooting my own horn but I consider myself the king of maintenance. I keep scheduled books of all my vehicles
some differences apply, since this thread is for the 7th gen cars, but see if you can find any honda engine specific item that you could have not noticed in here:

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...e-up-mods.html
no response so far...

Damn... was just trying to get an opinion. No offense intended guys. Btw... I was a ford mechanic for 3yrs and have built several ohv and ohc motors so I inow a thing or two
asking is easy, but depend on ability of the inquirer to read, investigate and reply, otherwise it's pointless...

If the only questions you going to see and reply are the ones that you think is that you are being mocked (when it's actually guys trying to help you), then we cannot help you...

after all, all you are in the forums is an username in the left side of your post... as we are all, actually...
Old 01-08-2013

Was it my breath?
Was the Ron Jeremy pic offensive?
Too close to truth?
Not appropriate?
Did my armpits smell?
*shrug*

You would think that is the guy has 3 years of Ford dealer experience that he would have been in an old Fiesta, Festiva, Tracer, Escort, and others that have engines of 1.8L or less. SHOULD know how they run when they run decently.

OTOH, 3 years experience is just enough to be dangerous for a lot of people.

These angry weedeaters just aren't Furds, and will never be.
Old 01-25-2013
Lord Sin

Lordsin is an unknown quantity at this point

I own the same vehicle 1997 Honda Civic d16y7 and I get about 35-40 mpg 10 gallon tank (380-400) miles per fill up. It has a Short ram air intake, Ngk spark plugs, high flow muffler.
Old 02-04-2013
Registered!!

KyleSJ6033 is an unknown quantity at this point

I own a 99 civic lx with the d16y7 and I get something close to 35. I do all highway driving other than 3 stoplights everyday and I have 193k miles. I have the cold air intake, ex intake swap, ex exhaust manifold, 3" muffler from header back, lowered with a lip kit on stock wheels.
Old 03-16-2013
Registered!!

BlueMamba24 is an unknown quantity at this point

hmmm interesting new study on air filter doesnt result into better fuel economy.
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/maintain.shtml

NEW INFORMATION: Replacing a Clogged Air Filter on Modern Cars Improves Performance but Not MPG

A new study shows that replacing a clogged air filter on cars with fuel-injected, computer-controlled gasoline engines does not improve fuel economy but it can improve acceleration time by around 6 to 11 percent. This kind of engine is prevalent on most gasoline cars manufactured from the early 1980s onward.

Tests suggest that replacing a clogged air filter on an older car with a carbureted engine may improve fuel economy 2 to 6 percent under normal replacement conditions or up to 14 percent if the filter is so clogged that it significantly affects drivability.

The effect of a clogged air filter on diesel vehicles will be tested in the near future.
Old 03-16-2013

Originally Posted by BlueMamba24
hmmm interesting new study on air filter doesnt result into better fuel economy.
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/maintain.shtml
The facts are several decades old. (And well known to some of us.)

It's amazing to me that a government agency only recently came around to (admitting?) this realization. 2009 IIRC.

Oh wait, it's the government. I shouldn't be amazed at all.

JizzyLube will STILL try to scare you into buying an air filter every time you go there.