6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

96' A/C mode selector works backwards???

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cmarsala is an unknown quantity at this point
96' A/C mode selector works backwards???

Yup, you read it rite. When I push the front vents button it blows from the
defrost, when I push the defrost, air comes from the dash vents. All the modes work in opposite order.

I am stumped. Any ideas as to why this is?
Old 09-18-2012
Registered!!

98_CivicDX is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 96' A/C mode selector works backwards???

Are you absolutely positive about this?

I know on my '98 DX, if I push the defrost button or the defrost/feet button, the two outer most vents will blow, as well. I assumed this was for window defogging.
Old 09-19-2012
Registered!!

cmarsala is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes I am positive. It's my daughters' car and she is ripping me a new one to get it fixed.
Anyone?????
Old 09-20-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Did this happen all of a sudden?

I'd suspect a bad mode control motor, then test accordingly to prove or disprove it, before throwing any parts at it.

Or, just to shut the kid up, make new labels for all the buttons... (This could be a fix!)
Old 12-08-2012
Registered!!

Mark R is an unknown quantity at this point

My son's '96 civic had the same problem. His car's blower diverter is electronic. The controlling mechanism is under the dash on the driver's side near the center of the car. there is a lever attached to a motor shaft that changes the baffle positions when the motor turns. The lever was off by 180 degrees, which probably happened when it was serviced in the past. Just remove the nut that holds the lever onto the knurled shaft and remount it 180 degrees from its previous position. Replace the washers and nut and, voila, the air blows from where the switch says it should.
Old 05-26-2016
Registered!!

444rose is an unknown quantity at this point

The last poster is absolutely correct...I had this issue since I bought the car 9 years ago, still own it and dealt with this idiotic problem. to further add some detail to the last post: you must get into a very awkward position and get your head under the dashboard on the drivers side, bring a flash light, an 8mm open end wrench, a screw driver (flat blade medium) a 1/4" drive ratchet w/an mm deep socket and it wouldn't hurt to bring a telescoping magnet. Now,

1: start the car and push the defrost button and when the air is blowing in your face, shut the car, do not press any other buttons.
2. remove the rod from the actuator by spring the plastic retainer to allow the rod to slide out exposing the 8mm nut
3. remove the 8mm nut with the wrench or socket, use the magnet now to suck off the 2 washers then using the screwdriver, pry off the arm that pushes the rod you removed from the splined shaft,
4. replace the arm on the splined shaft facing the 5 o'clock position exactly
5 carefully place the flat washer, then lock washer then nut while holding it in position, use the 8mm wrench to snug it down into the splines, tighten now with the ratchet tighten it down
6. put the rod back into position on the actuator arm and rotate retainer till it clips on the rod

That's it folks, you will be happy to see that the air comes from where it supposed too.

Good Luck!