6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

Major screw-up while replacing antenna

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
montevideano is an unknown quantity at this point
Major screw-up while replacing antenna

NEED ADVICE

The string broke while attempting to replace the antenna in my daughter's 1997 Honda Civic coupe. I was following the advice given in a video that I found in YouTube.

I was able to bring up the string from the bottom of the car and attach it to the new antenna. When I attempted to bring the new antenna (attached to the string) it appear to get stuck towards the end of the bottom of the pillar. When I used force to bring it farther down the string broke and now I'm not able to bring the antenna cable all the way down to the connector.

I need advice in how to resolve my problem.

I welcome any suggestions.

HELP HELP HELP

Thanks in advance.

Montevideano
Old 08-06-2012
Registered!!

nsxvtec will become famous soon enough
Re: Major screw-up while replacing antenna

Use a wire coat hanger (opened out like a string) from the top antenna opening on the roof.

Fish it down and look for/feel for it at the base of the "A" pillar opening, just behind the area of the fuse box. You might want to unbolt the fuse box to give your hand a bit more room (2-10mm nuts) and a couple of the relays that seem to be placed there just to stop you getting your hand into the area. Gently ease the fuse box over a bit. Once you have the end of the coat hanger fished thru the opening, tape the end of the antennae cable to the top end of the coat hanger at the roof and gently guide the cable and antennae mast thru the opening. (having a second pair of hands to assist here usually helps). You should then be OK.

Just did this for 98Si mast replacement 2 days ago.

The best orig. way is to cut the old cable right at the roof, after removing the 2 screws, taping the new cable end to the old cable and fishing it thru, gently easing it thru as you pull it out at the base of the "A" pillar.
Old 08-06-2012
Registered!!

montevideano is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for your advice. Will try it when my daughter bring her car this coming weekend.

Montevideano
Old 10-27-2017
Registered!!

John West is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nsxvtec
Use a wire coat hanger (opened out like a string) from the top antenna opening on the roof.

Fish it down and look for/feel for it at the base of the "A" pillar opening, just behind the area of the fuse box. You might want to unbolt the fuse box to give your hand a bit more room (2-10mm nuts) and a couple of the relays that seem to be placed there just to stop you getting your hand into the area. Gently ease the fuse box over a bit. Once you have the end of the coat hanger fished thru the opening, tape the end of the antennae cable to the top end of the coat hanger at the roof and gently guide the cable and antennae mast thru the opening. (having a second pair of hands to assist here usually helps). You should then be OK.

Just did this for 98Si mast replacement 2 days ago.

The best orig. way is to cut the old cable right at the roof, after removing the 2 screws, taping the new cable end to the old cable and fishing it thru, gently easing it thru as you pull it out at the base of the "A" pillar.
I had the same problem and coathanger was too short and bulky .Then my father got A tool too few know about. Fish tape. It comes on a spool similar to a plumber’s snake and has a hooked end . When I tried to send it up through, the hook caught on other wires in cavity. Tape the end to prevent trouble. Follow instructions above for rest of advice. God Bless, John West

Last edited by John West; 10-27-2017 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Missed letter