6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

Knock Sensor or other ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2012
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of
Knock Sensor or other ?

I recently purchased a 1998 Civic EX coupe (manual) with 120,000 miles that didn't have service records. Car is is good shape inside and out, unfortunately not getting the gas mileage it probably should get: 22 City and 29 Highway. Other issues are:
1) When I rev the engine in neutral, at about 5K RPM's it starts to knock. I tried a motor mount test and they seem okay.
2) The car is very jerky especially in 1st gear (not my driving) and can be in higher gears, but to a lesser extent. Not like a severe engine misfire or stuttering, more like a rocking motion.
3) Engine idles well, seems to run well, gets up to operating temp in a normal way (within a few minutes). Just has seemingly poor gas mileage and the knock above 5K RPM's.

I have given it a complete tune-up including timing ,oil filter,air filter change. Cleaned all mechanical valves, except fuel injectors (couldn't find how-to's on the net).Cleaned all grounds. I've never diagnosed,tested or changed a knock sensor or possible bent valve, but after reading up on poor gas mileage and jerking (don't laugh) issues with civics it seems that Knock Sensor, Bent Valve,Jumped Tooth in timing belt, could all be a possibility.

I purchased a complete timing belt kit yesterday and hope to get it by next week. Is there a way to clean a knock sensor (possibly with electronic cleaner/lube)? and is it worth buying a cheap E-bay one.
Old 08-01-2012
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
antrmo is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Knock Sensor or other ?

maybe the knock is a rod bareing?,the jerking motion caused by slipping clutch?
Old 08-01-2012
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

1) why are you revving the engine to 5k in neutral?
2) the gearing in first gear is really low, which is what makes it jerk. I havnt driven a manual car that didn't do that to some extent. Some cars are better then others.
3) poor gas mileage can be cause by worn o2 sensors, dirty air filter, bad ignition (spark plugs), under inflated tires, crappy gas.

Use a Honda knock sensor if you get one. Not a cheap eBay one.
Old 12-25-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
adrav is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by turd_ferguson
I recently purchased a 1998 Civic EX coupe (manual) with 120,000 miles that didn't have service records. Car is is good shape inside and out, unfortunately not getting the gas mileage it probably should get: 22 City and 29 Highway. Other issues are:
1) When I rev the engine in neutral, at about 5K RPM's it starts to knock. I tried a motor mount test and they seem okay.
2) The car is very jerky especially in 1st gear (not my driving) and can be in higher gears, but to a lesser extent. Not like a severe engine misfire or stuttering, more like a rocking motion.
3) Engine idles well, seems to run well, gets up to operating temp in a normal way (within a few minutes). Just has seemingly poor gas mileage and the knock above 5K RPM's.

I have given it a complete tune-up including timing ,oil filter,air filter change. Cleaned all mechanical valves, except fuel injectors (couldn't find how-to's on the net).Cleaned all grounds. I've never diagnosed,tested or changed a knock sensor or possible bent valve, but after reading up on poor gas mileage and jerking (don't laugh) issues with civics it seems that Knock Sensor, Bent Valve,Jumped Tooth in timing belt, could all be a possibility.

I purchased a complete timing belt kit yesterday and hope to get it by next week. Is there a way to clean a knock sensor (possibly with electronic cleaner/lube)? and is it worth buying a cheap E-bay one.
Same car, same issue. Clean your IAC sensor. Solved. I just did mine. 2 years it took me to solve. No code, but gummed up. Tooth brush and carb cleaner. 2 12 mil bolts. 5 minutes.