6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

Selling my 97 Civic-Oil burning question

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chandra25 is an unknown quantity at this point
Selling my 97 Civic-Oil burning question

Hi,

I am the original owner of a Civic LX with 195,000 miles. I have maintained it very well and driven it with care. It is in great shape and runs well.

I just bought a new car and am selling this one. The issue is that it burns some oil. I am not exactly sure how much oil it burns. Maybe about 1/2 quart in 400 or 500 miles when traveling at highway speeds. My mechanic told me I don't need to disclose this to potential buyers because 1 quart in 1000 miles is considered acceptable for a car this age. Still, I find myself feeling guilty not telling potential buyers. Then again, if I tell them, I think it will discourage them from buying it.

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

Chandra
Old 07-07-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Selling my 97 Civic-Oil burning question

You aren't in Kalifornia are you?

You ain't selling a brand-freeking-new car.
They ain't buying a brand-freeking-new car.

Telling the buyer it uses a lot of oil might give the wrong impression.
A quart per 1000 miles is perfectly acceptable consumption, especially for that many miles.
But they ain't buying a brand-freeking-new car.
Telling the buyer to open the hood and check the fluids with every fill up, maybe. I think any owners manual will say something real similar.

Don't sell it to anyone you personally know.
Both of you meet at the DMV to get the title transferred.
Once that title is signed and done, they own the car and all of its problems.

They ain't buying a brand-freeking-new car.
Anyone buying a car with 200k should learn really quick that it needs regular care. If the buyer can't grasp and understand that, they need to be "taxed".
Old 07-07-2012
old guy

T-Bohn will become famous soon enoughT-Bohn will become famous soon enough

Yeah the oil usage for miles is not bad. If your worried tell them it uses a bit of oil, but it is 195k, shrug and keep going really not that big of a deal.
Old 07-07-2012
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

put some auto-rx.com in there, will fix it right up or at least greatly reduce the burning by over 50% or more. the only catch is for the best results you gotta do an oil change, run the additive for 5k miles, then change oil again and drive another 5k miles without additive. then change oil again. just be sure to use regular dino oil for the process. after that, i recommend using valvoline maxlife oil. will feel like a new car and burn much less oil. but it takes a while for the whole process.
Old 07-09-2012
Registered!!

rollondad is an unknown quantity at this point

Its a used car with nearly 200k miles...some oil burning is expected. I wouldn't worry about disclosing it.
Old 07-11-2012
Lord Sin

Lordsin is an unknown quantity at this point

It's a used car and the oil consumption is normal even in a newer car. Some times it's an umbrella valve or a valve problem. I would buy the car with that many miles. As a new project or to learn about cars.
Old 07-12-2012
Registered!!

lswartz is an unknown quantity at this point

If you are not comfortable, take it to an auto auction. At 210,000 I still do not have to check oil between oil changes (at 5,000), so I would definitely disclose using 4+ quarts before an oil change. Since it is in good shape & runs well, it still is a good car for someone who needs low cost transportation.
Old 07-22-2012
Registered!!

danwat12345 has a spectacular aura aboutdanwat12345 has a spectacular aura about

I would disclose that information. 1qt per 1000 miles is on the heavy side imo. Don't use additives, try first to just up the viscosity a bit. Tell the buyer to use 10w30 or 10w40 and may reduce oil consumption significantly.

To put the oil consumption in perspective, my Civic has 226,000 on it (mostly hwy) and burns 1 quart for every ~3500 miles
Old 07-22-2012
Autocross Padawan

Zeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of light

^^ Not a bad idea, but I gotta say there is nothing run with additives. I've used everything from sea foam to injector cleaner and I've seen noticeably improved results.

Also, make sure you aren't using synthetic oil. At almost 150k miles my civic doesn't lose a drop of oil per change, but one time I tried using synthetic and by the time I was 1,000 miles in I lost 2 quarts. Went back to regular 5w-30 castrol syntec and went back to 0 oil consumption.
Old 07-22-2012
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

yeah i noticed i tend to burn synthetic a bit more than usual, but still not bad. usually a year on dino oil i barely lose any, but with synthetic its down to the middle of the dipstick.
Old 07-22-2012
Lord Sin

Lordsin is an unknown quantity at this point

My 1997 civic lx burns oil when I go past 4k rpms and what not and it has 105579 miles
Old 08-06-2012
Registered!!

Chandra25 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone for your advice. I didn't subscribe to this forum (by accident) so didn't see your replies till today when my email reminded me I haven't logged in lately.

Long story short: I sold the car for a very good price. I DID disclose the oil situation. I said that it uses more oil now that it has more miles on it, but mainly when traveling at highway speeds. It doesn't use extra oil driving around town. The person who bought it was totally fine with that as it meets his needs for transportation. So, all is well!

Thanks again for everybody's input!
Chandra