6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

96 ek coolant temp issues

Old 06-30-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jdmek420 is an unknown quantity at this point
96 ek coolant temp issues

recently swapped out my dx motor for a ex motor..it runs fine if i leave the heat on red, it dosent have to be blowing air it just has to be on red. as soon as i slide it down to blue my coolant temp goes up..i change the thermostat and did a flush. what is the problem??
Old 06-30-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 96 ek coolant temp issues

First thought is
low coolant level or air trapped in the cooling system.
They can trap air in the heater system easily if the coolant got that low, and an engine replacement job would do it.

Turn the heater on HOT and the fan on full blast. Is there great heat? Does it get hotter as the engine is revved up? Does it cool off when you let it idle?
Old 06-30-2012
Registered!!

jdmek420 is an unknown quantity at this point

the heat is normal, it gets hott like it should and stays hot, it dosent go up n down.. you wouldnt even know there was a problem if you never take it off the red. so i have no idea.. i have heard about the trapped air and ive tried to burp it and still does it..im stumped!
Old 06-30-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Well, when you have the heater (water valve) set on HEAT, you are adding antifreeze capacity to the cooling system.
That would probably send me in the direction of looking at the radiator for being inefficient.

Like maybe the radiator is plugged up in the core tubes, or restricted, undersized/too small for the engine, or something of the like.

Or even a thermostat that can't open wide enough. (You didn't stick it in there backwards, did you?)

Have you checked the accuracy of your temperature gauge?? Maybe it isn't correct.
Old 07-14-2012
Registered!!

davemanjam is an unknown quantity at this point

could be head gasket issue. Take off the coolant cover and run the engine, if you continue to see bubbles its coming from the combustion chamber leaking through the head gasket. There are additional tests to confirm this but its a good start.