6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

ebay muffler

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ptsixsecondz is an unknown quantity at this point
ebay muffler

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TITANIUM-BUR...ht_4594wt_1185

or

http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Remo...=pd_sbs_auto_3

Well these are both the basic n1 style ebay mufflers. Does anyone have one or one similar? Is the quality good? Is it too loud or is the sound quality good? Please respond thanks!
Old 03-25-2012
Autocross Padawan

Zeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of light
Re: ebay muffler

Both are going to be obnoxiously loud and the quality will be poor. N1 style mufflers are the coffee cans of mufflers. If you want a nice axle back exhaust, go with HKS, or Greddy. There's one particular brand I am trying to think of that's been mentioned on this forum numerous times but the name is escaping my memory. Mindbomber (one of our admins) would definitely know. Use the search function and you'll find that there are plenty of good mufflers that you can buy for a fair price and will sound fine.
Old 03-25-2012
Registered!!

Thanks man, i dont want to be a ricer....i just want a deep yet fairly quiet growl to my civic. Ill defiantly look into some of those mufflers, Thanks.
Old 03-25-2012
My favorite TV shows are JDM. My Honda isn't...

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
krudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the rough

I had a Spec-D N1 Catback system on my car for a few months until a friend sold me an Apexi N1.

The Ebay set was actually very good. The quality is slightly less than that of well-known manufacturers, but it was solid nonetheless. Easy to install and gave my car a 10hp boost, which is surprising...

As for the sound, it is very low and grumbly but sounds a bit shouty in the high RPMs. Inside the car, the muffler is rather quiet unless your charging up a hill under heavy load. I found that after adding a short ram intake, all the annoying whines of the exhaust were gone and it sounded even more throaty.

All in all, it's a good buy if you're not looking to shell out much money. To be honest, I like the sound of my Ebay exhaust better than the Apexi so I kept the pipiing from the Apexi, but left the Spec-D muffler on

EDIT: Go for a catback system. You can install it yourself and it sounds MUCH better.
Old 03-25-2012
Registered!!

So full cat back system will add horsepower? and just adding a muffler wont add any, right?
I dont want to shell out a lot of cash on greddy or something of the sort due to the fact that my 2000 dx coupe wont get that much faster.
Old 03-25-2012
Autocross Padawan

Zeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of light

If you're looking for a decent budget exhaust that has a nice tone to it I'd recommend the A'pexi WS2 catback. It's a little louder than stock and has a nice growl to it. You can find a couple youtube videos of it I am sure. The whole exhuast I believe runs in the $500 range.

eBay mufflers can be good, I didn't want to come off saying all eBay stuff is bad, just that, well, most of it is, haha. you're rollin' the dice when you go eBay.
Old 03-25-2012

krudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by ptsixsecondz
Thanks man, i dont want to be a ricer....i just want a deep yet fairly quiet growl to my civic. Ill defiantly look into some of those mufflers, Thanks.
That's exactly how I see it! I'm not seeing much potential in my 7th gen, mostly because I don't want to dedicate my life's earnings to a Civic... but I figured a cheap exhaust system was good enough. Like I said, people may think I'm crazy, but I like my Ebay catback better than an Apexi set valued at $600. The added $500 pricetag is not going to give you much more than a cleaner sound and a bit more horses. The main reason for buying expensive kits is street-cred and quality. If you don't mind the occasional uneducated passerby calling it a "ricer", then go with the ebay stuff. Just be cautious of your seller. K2Motor sold mine and they were excellent so I recommend.
Old 03-25-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by krudmuphin
K2Motor sold mine and they were excellent so I recommend.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1992-2000-HO...ht_5388wt_1185

is this a similar catback to the one you purchased? its from the same seller?
Old 03-25-2012

[QUOTE=ptsixsecondz;4593729]http://www.ebay.com/itm/1992-2000-HO...ht_5388wt_1185

Exactly that one! (Except mine is for a 01-05 of course) There are a lot of companies that sell similar sets, but I went with K2Motor because I have purchased fog lights from them before. They have quick service and sell good quality products as advertised.
Old 03-25-2012
Naturally Aspirated

513EM1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Installing the Yonaka Catback Exhaust is the best thing Ive ever don't to my Civic. I wanted a nice deep, quiet toned exhaust, and I must say It satisfied all my needs. Not to mention the price is hard to beat ($250 shipped anywhere you look). People compare it to the Apexi WS2, which is a very popular, awesome sounding exhaust, priced at over $500.

You won't regret getting it trust me.
Old 03-25-2012
Autocross Padawan

^^ THAT was the name I was looking for. Sheesh. Thanks, haha. Yes, the Yonaka is excellent as well.
Old 03-25-2012
Registered!!

Krudmuphin,

is the eBay catback so loud that cops were pulling you over? I or so loud that neighbors were complaining? Because those are two situations that I do not want to have to deal with. :-)
Old 03-25-2012

Krudmuphin,

is the eBay catback so loud that cops were pulling you over? I or so loud that neighbors were complaining? Because those are two situations that I do not want to have to deal with. :-)
It shouldn't be too loud. I haven't had any complaints or any run ins with police for over a year now. As long as you're driving responsibly and light on the gas, it shouldn't be a problem
Old 03-25-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

One of the biggest reasons ebay exhausts are priced lower than brand name alternatives is the type of steel used. Cheap parts are made with steel produced in China with very low standards, every batch has fairly widely varying metallurgical contents. That effects strength and is why you shouldn't buy knock off control arms and coilovers off ebay, but it also effects corrosion. Ebay exhausts often have low nickle content in the steel, so they rust quickly. Solution, paint them with BBQ paint before installing.
Old 03-25-2012
Naturally Aspirated

513EM1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MindBomber
One of the biggest reasons ebay exhausts are priced lower than brand name alternatives is the type of steel used. Cheap parts are made with steel produced in China with very low standards, every batch has fairly widely varying metallurgical contents. That effects strength and is why you shouldn't buy knock off control arms and coilovers off ebay, but it also effects corrosion. Ebay exhausts often have low nickle content in the steel, so they rust quickly. Solution, paint them with BBQ paint before installing.
+1 for learning something new everyday.
Old 03-25-2012
Registered!!

Luckily I live in southern California so rust really isn't a problem, hahaha. But I defiantly will paint the exhaust if i go with an eBay catback, thank you for the helpful information.
Old 03-26-2012

I was aware of the corrosion problem too with the low grade steel so as a preventative measure I sprayed the parts with a stainless steel rust protector which you can find at almost any place that sells BBQ grills or straight off amazon.com for $10. Honestly I can't tell if it really worked, but two years later and my Ebay exhaust still looks shiny as new.

All in all, if your pipes do corrode, it doesn't look bad to just spray the whole thing flat black.
Old 03-29-2012
Registered!!

Spiffy_B is an unknown quantity at this point

It's not that loud that you'll be pulled over or sound like a pissed off weed whacker.

I needed a intermediate pipe so I bought the ebay exhaust kit (headers, pipe and muffler then a hi flow cat 2 weeks later). After installing, I never liked the sound, it just wasn't what I wanted. At low rev it sounds alright and at high rev, it sounds as if I'm going fast but I'm not.

Here's the kit actually-
Old 03-29-2012
Registered!!

Spiffy_B,

What about the quality of the exhaust and catback? How long did you have it and was it holding up well for that period of use?

Thanks
Old 03-29-2012

Spiffy_B,

What about the quality of the exhaust and catback? How long did you have it and was it holding up well for that period of use?

Thanks
I have essentially the same thing as him, but no header.
The quality is pretty good. The welds are done by machine and therefore are flawless. The only problem is that Ebay exhausts are made from steel that isn't quality-controlled as well as some of the name brands. If you live in an area where they use road salts to melt ice in the winter, you may want to coat your muffler with cooking oils to prevent rust stains from collecting. I've had my exhaust for a year and it's starting to show signs of slight corrosion, but it's no more than mere surface staining. Eventually if it looks bad, you can paint the thing flat black with rust-oleum paint and call it good for life.

EDIT: Ooops, we already mentioned all of this, I didn't realize this was the same thread, lol
Old 03-29-2012
Registered!!

That is good news! Being in So Cal there is obviously no road ice so rust is not an issue. I appreciate the quick responses
Old 03-30-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by krudmuphin
I have essentially the same thing as him, but no header.

Did you install all of this yourself or did you have a shop do it? Also with the eBay catback, the cars stock catalytic converter remains on the car, right?
Old 03-30-2012

Did you install all of this yourself or did you have a shop do it? Also with the eBay catback, the cars stock catalytic converter remains on the car, right?
Bolted it on myself in an hour! I'm completely inexperienced, but it was so easy! Just make sure you know how to properly and safely jack up your car. You will need metric socket wrenches and possibly a breaker bar attachment for the bolts on the cat which are extremely tight. Spray them with WD40 or PB Blaster beforehand to make it easier.

And yes, it bolts straight up to the cat. You might have to bend some sheet metal of the cat's heat shield, but it should be a good fit otherwise.
Old 03-30-2012
Registered!!

Spiffy_B,

Thanks
I've had the kit for about a year and installed the headers a few months later. It does became corroded a few months later, but I never cared how to underbody looked. the muffler looked cheap and I always felt like a ricer. I just passed inspection so I'll say it's holding up quite well so far.
Old 03-30-2012
Registered!!

Yes the stock cat stays on BUT it'll be must easy if you bought another cat and o2 sensor. The bolts on the old car 12 years old assuming this is the first time your taking them off. It took a long as time to get my super rusted bolts off.

Secondly, if you buy a new cat, dont buy the $20-$30 dollar ebay cat. I did and it died within a month and made my car sound like *** especially goin uphill. Oh yea, the cat had my downstream o2 sensor in a downward position and I eventually ended up killing it after 2 road craps. if anybody wants to hear the story let me know. In short buy a new OEM or OEM high flow cat. I bought a magnaflow cat for about $125 I think.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_000271 (2).jpg
Views:	144
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	82954   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_000268.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	82956   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_000273 (2).jpg
Views:	124
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	82957  
Old 03-30-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Spiffy_B
if anybody wants to hear the story let me know. .

lets hear the story...
Old 03-31-2012
Registered!!

lets hear the story...
After buying the high flow cat from eBay, it murdered the o2 sensor after hitting a pothole, pump or whatever and caused the check engine and battery light to come on. After putting in a new alternator, come to find out it was just the alternator fuse...SMH.

A month later I drove across a construction zone and the metal plate on the ground has bolts that stick up. I drove across on the wrong angle and scrap! Check light immediately on. After replacing the o2 sensor, the cat started sounding raspy with this static type of sound. My last post showed the inside of the cat and it began falling apart, that's why I bought the magnaflow.

Typing this makes me seem like a bad driver.