6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

"Stop Leak" products any good?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012
Registered!!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Kevin_646 is an unknown quantity at this point
"Stop Leak" products any good?

Civic Experts,

I have a very small water leak. I think it's in the head gasket. It's so small, I only have to add anti-freeze about every 1,000 miles. But the check engine light is on.

Has anyone ever tried one of the "stop leak" products? I'm considering trying one of them.

Bar's Leaks has "Head Gasket Fix" for $30
Says: This formulation contains a combination of antifreeze compatible sodium silicate sealing liquid and various size gasket sealing particles which penetrate gaps & cracks and harden to permanently stop leaks.

CRC Industries also has a product "Permanent Head Gasket & Block Repair with Nanotechnology" for $21. Says: Permanent repair for head gaskets, radiator and heater core leaks. Advanced nanoparticles allow product to fill voids that a typical head gasket repair product can't

Do you know if these work? Even if temporarily? Has anyone tried one of these? Do you know if they also do bad things to my car? It's a 97 Civic LX, 4 door, with 260,000 miles.

Note: I notice that some versions of these say they don't work with coolant, which seems kinda worthless.

Thank you,
Kevin
Old 03-05-2012
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: "Stop Leak" products any good?

The best way to fix it is to replace the head gasket. Those products can really ruin the engine in my opinion. I have never used any of them personally but have never heard good things about them. The mechanic in a can is only a temporary solution and if your planning on keeping the car then you should do it the right way.