6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

'99 Civic Hatchback DX (Canada)

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stocko is an unknown quantity at this point
'99 Civic Hatchback DX (Canada)

Hi guys,

I'm looking to make my first purchase. I like the way the Honda Civic Hatchback looks and thought I should probably start out in the 6th generation series (trying to learn manual). I currently have my eyes set on a '99/00 civic hatchback DX.

Here's one I found:
'99 Black civic hatchback DX - 313k kms
some rust
recent maintenance - rad, muffler, 2 oxygen sensors, spark plugs, just been oil changed. passed emissions test last year.
May need new tires soon.
pioneer deck.
Also he has mentioned he's not the mechanic 'type' of guy so he doesn't know what to replace and what not (I'm not either, but I read that its a good thing to know about since you wanna know about the car and the driver).

He says he bought this car in 2002, been driving it since, everything is bone-stock except things he changed. So timing belt, alternator and clutch still the same and have been running for 313k.

My questions are: At what price should I pay for this car?
Should I be worried about timing belt, clutch and alternator? (I'm probably going to use it for a year or two.)
Possible upgrades to make my ride more smooth (not necessarily more powerful)?

Thanks, sorry for the amount of questions - I'm fairly new to buying cars. I do have a buddy helping me out and checking out the car since he drives manual, but I wanted to know from the civic community what they think of the vehicle in general.

PS. I'm in Ontario, Canada. If that matters. Thanks!

I pulled some pics from his ad also:

Thanks a lot!
Old 02-03-2012
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: '99 Civic Hatchback DX (Canada)

313 000 KMS?

It's due for a timing belt going on the idea it should have been done around 160 000 KMS. Manual says 7 years/160 000kms, less for severe driving conditions (severe = Canada to make a long story short). Clutch who knows? I doubt that's the original clutch in that car. My mechanic said a well driven clutch should go until the low 200 000 kms in that car. You can try getting it rolling and then put it in 4th and step on it. If the engine revs up but the car doesn't accelerate then the clutch is slipping.

I always get sketched out when the sale ad says 'oil was just changed' if the tires need to be changed then that's a negotiating factor. A set of regular tires is going to be around $400-$600.

... but frankly if you're not mechanically inclined then take it to a mechanic and get their opinion on it. It could save you alot of grief in the long run.

Provided the original suspension is in good shape there really shouldn't be any need to upgrade the 6th gen they ride really nice just the way they were made. Bolt on mods (exhaust,intake,etc) are a waste of time and money on this car.

A car is worth what people are willing to pay for it. I'm not going to comment further on that unless I was standing in front of it.

Good luck!

Last edited by Stock 99; 02-03-2012 at 07:54 PM.
Old 02-03-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

If it's close to or out of inspection- pass
Timing belt, tensioner, and waterpump haven't been changed in 10 years- pass
Oil just changed (sounds kinda fishy)- pass

Are you seeing a pattern? He doesn't do enough regular maintenance- pass

EDIT: $1200/OBO isn't a bad price. If the inspection isn't too old and you're only gonna have it a couple of years and he's really wanting a quick sell AND it doesn't have mega rust, then tell him to knock it down under $1000 cause the timing belt is way past due and absolutely has to be done now. And that costs $500 here in the states. From what I've heard from our Canadian members is that everything is more expensive in Canada.

BTW: Why are civics so cheap there? Are they all rust buckets?

Last edited by lazlong; 02-03-2012 at 10:00 PM.
Old 02-03-2012
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by lazlong
the timing belt is way past due and absolutely has to be done now. And that costs $500 here in the states. From what I've heard from our Canadian members is that everything is more expensive in Canada.

BTW: Why are civics so cheap there? Are they all rust buckets?
My independent mechanic said it would be about $500 to do a timing belt, Honda wanted $900. Ontario and Quebec salt the sh*t out of their roads. A 10 year old car is generally held together by rust out there. Us tree hugging hippy dippy westerners don't use salt.

BTW - The DX Civic didn't come with a tach so it's hard to say if the mileage is correct on that car.

Last edited by Stock 99; 02-03-2012 at 11:42 PM.