6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

Civic runs rough for first 10-30 seconds...then it runs normal.

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mike98 is an unknown quantity at this point
Civic runs rough for first 10-30 seconds...then it runs normal.

Hi, i have a 1998 civic ex and I've been having this problem for a couple of months now.
Sometimes when i start it, it runs rough for 10-30 seconds (rpm's fluctuate a little bit) then it runs normal. Usually it happens in the morning when i go to school, but it happened a few times later when i left school too.
First I thought it might just be some moisture in the throttle body but then yesterday the engine light turned on. I went to autozone and they pulled P0301 and P1399 out, which is Cylinder 1 misfire and Random cylinder misfire, respectively.
Oh and the car had a complete tune about 1 year ago by previous owner.

I am also slowly loosing coolant but i don't know where/how... if that hepls

I've found one thread on here that had the same exact issue, but the guy never said if he fixed it or not.

thanks
Old 01-02-2012
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the rough
Re: Civic runs rough for first 10-30 seconds...then it runs normal.

Sounds like a bad headgasket. Pull your spark plugs, espesially cylinder 1's, look for signs of coolant on it. You could be leaking coolant into the cylinder causing the misfire.
Old 01-03-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by pwnsauce
Sounds like a bad headgasket. Pull your spark plugs, espesially cylinder 1's, look for signs of coolant on it. You could be leaking coolant into the cylinder causing the misfire.
Thanks for reply,

Ok so i took the spark plugs off and took a couple of pictures. #2, 3 and 4 looked identical to the one on the left and #1 is the one on the right. I had to regap #1 since it looked about 15% wider than the rest. Could that have been my problem?

One more thing, should i test it with an combustion leak tester if it still sounds like its the head gasket?

thanks again
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	spark1.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	82331   Click image for larger version

Name:	spark2.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	82332  
Old 01-03-2012
Registered!!

pwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the roughpwnsauce is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by mike98
Thanks for reply,

Ok so i took the spark plugs off and took a couple of pictures. #2, 3 and 4 looked identical to the one on the left and #1 is the one on the right. I had to regap #1 since it looked about 15% wider than the rest. Could that have been my problem?

One more thing, should i test it with an combustion leak tester if it still sounds like its the head gasket?

thanks again
well the gap couldve been the problem...does it still idle rough after you re gapped it? #1 doesnt look right at all...every plug ive seen thats been used for a while is white on the tip like 2 3 and 4.

id say do the chemical test that you set on top of the radiator. it tests for carcinogens (exhaust bubbles) in the coolant. if you fail the chem test u need a headgasket
Old 01-03-2012
Registered!!

well the gap couldve been the problem...does it still idle rough after you re gapped it? #1 doesnt look right at all...every plug ive seen thats been used for a while is white on the tip like 2 3 and 4.

id say do the chemical test that you set on top of the radiator. it tests for carcinogens (exhaust bubbles) in the coolant. if you fail the chem test u need a headgasket

OK I've randomly started the car about 4-5 times today and everything seems fine now after I've regaped #1 plug. I'll buy one of those combustion leak tester tomorrow and see what result i get.

Again, thanks a lot
Old 01-03-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

A compression test might be in order too, just for peace of mind.
Old 01-04-2012
Registered!!

Agreed. Hopefully that fixed your problem for good, i know our cars are pretty sensitive when it comes to plugs. But id do a compression test also just to be safe.

Keep us updated how the tests go
Old 01-12-2012
Registered!!

Agreed. Hopefully that fixed your problem for good, i know our cars are pretty sensitive when it comes to plugs. But id do a compression test also just to be safe.

Keep us updated how the tests go
Good news!!
I finally got the combustion leak tester in the mail and tried it and results came negative. I've also did a compression test on all cylinders and the numbers were 190, 185, 190 and 190.
Plus, ever since i regapped that spark plug the car has worked properly, so i think that was the problem.

Well thanks a lot guys, i really appreciated your help.