6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

Cool Swap? Or Just Fiction?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2011
Busy Speeding!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SlimRisk is a jewel in the roughSlimRisk is a jewel in the roughSlimRisk is a jewel in the rough
Exclamation Cool Swap? Or Just Fiction?

Hey guys im from the 7th gen side of this site, and recently noticed the d16 engines are pretty bad a$$. now what im wondering, is if anybody has ever attempted to put a d16 dohc cylinder head on a d16 sohc. Ive heard this is pretty crazy, and everybody says that it cant be done, but only by word of mouth.
I want proof its not going to work if you say so. not just "I heard this" "I heard that" thats b.s.

How sweet would dohc vtec be on a civic?
Old 10-14-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of
Re: Cool Swap? Or Just Fiction?

It's not.

Why?
You would be able to use one, maybe two of the head studs,
the combustion chambers won't line up,
the oil and water passages won't line up,
I could go on..

If it's physically possible to do to a Honda engine, it's been done and spread across the internet.
Old 10-14-2011
Busy Speeding!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SlimRisk is a jewel in the roughSlimRisk is a jewel in the roughSlimRisk is a jewel in the rough

yeah you got a really good point with the last one mindbomber. but what about sohc d16 head on d17 block? I know a lot of people ask, and those 2 guys did it but i dont think they ever explained how. heard it would be pretty complicated but personally I think it would be worth it
Old 10-14-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Speedfoose, formally of this site, is/was working on it. I know he had a thread going on d-series for awhile with lots of pictures describing the process, but it wasn't something 99.99% of us could handle at home and it would cost thousands to have a shop do the modifications. There's quite a bit of tig welding involved iirc..

So really, it's only worth it if you have a tig already and pretty decently equipped shop..
Old 10-15-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Go to the junkyard, buy two engines for cheeeeap.. and have a science experiment It might get expensive !