6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

What brakes and rotors do you guys recomend?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mike98 is an unknown quantity at this point
What brakes and rotors do you guys recomend?

I not necessarily looking for performance... i just need some good quality, long lasting, dust free set of brakes (and maybe a good set of rotors to go with them). I used to get the $20 lifetime warranty Autozone ones for my old neon but they always leave a lot of brake dust.

I'm hoping not to spend more than $50-60 for front brakes but if they are worth it a can go up a little more. As for the rotors, idk what to expect.

Thanks
Old 08-10-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What brakes and rotors do you guys recomend?

honda oem is your best bet.
Old 08-10-2011
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

OEM rotors, hawk ceramic pads
Old 08-10-2011
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

i have read a ton of reviews on the hawks and believe they do stop a bit better for just street pad replacements, but they are harder on rotors. so you are always trading one thing for another. the oem is a good balance between life, dust, stopping, and rotor wear.
Old 08-11-2011
Registered!!

mike98 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gearbox
i have read a ton of reviews on the hawks and believe they do stop a bit better for just street pad replacements, but they are harder on rotors. so you are always trading one thing for another. the oem is a good balance between life, dust, stopping, and rotor wear.
Are the oem pads ceramic? I probably need to get ceramic pads because i have polished aluminum wheels and i hate having to clean them every time i drive.
I've looked up some hawk pads and found only one(forgot which one) that claims to prolong rotor life.

As for rotors, i think I'm going to get a pair of oem if i they are to thin to be turned.

Thanks
Old 08-11-2011
A scene before your eyes

Balzdpr is on a distinguished road

Pro Civic .com has a Roto set for every year our cars have been out. Im pretty sure they are just slotted but they may be drilled and slotted. I have talked with some guys here in Shreve City La. and they recommend the brand that Pro Civic has to offer. The only down side to that rotor that any one can say is that in our Southern enviroments with all of the humidity and all there is a significant amount of rusting. But I have yet to see this occure as all the civics I drive dont have time to rust I beat the **** out of them. On the negitive side of using ProCivic, they are mega over priced but it gives you a good informational base to work with. I f you do chosse tyo pay there salary then I suggest you order there Hawk brake pads and rotors and have them put on together.
Old 08-11-2011
Autocross Padawan

Zeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of light

Brembo blanks. (http://passwordjdm.com/Honda-Acura-C573.aspx) Best possible OEM rotor you can buy and work's absolutely phenomenal with hawk pads (or OEM pads). Don't go with drilled and slotted rotors. They're about as dysfunctional as the scoops on a mustang. Even the race-prepped Ferrari's I saw at Lime Rock a couple weeks ago didn't have drilled and slotted rotors. Stick with Honda OEM pads. Hawk's are too bitey for most tires unless you're running a sticky summer tire. When I put my all-seasons back on after driving on Azenis all summer (running Hawk HP+ pads) I almost lost the car doing my usual heel-toe-practice corner on my street. Tire's locked up and my car slid right into my neighbors yard. They totally overrided my ABS.

Last edited by Zeferint; 08-11-2011 at 11:19 AM.
Old 08-11-2011
Premium Member

oem pads are semi metallic. but yeah i can see if you have rims, it may be too much dust coming out and onto the paint. ceramic has dust too, its just a brown color instead of black so it doesnt look as dirty.

brembo blank is garbage imo, i noticed a huge stopping improvement after going back to oem.
Old 08-11-2011
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

^ Huh, I never seen brembo blanks go for that cheap before. interesting.

My HP+ maybe annoying as hell, but they sure did save my life a good couple of times. the stopping power is immense on those, but they do take a toll on the rotors...and my ears.

Edit:
Oh, nvm they are sold PER rotor, not as a set.
Same price everywhere else
Old 08-11-2011
Autocross Padawan

Zeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Kennykid2002
My HP+ maybe annoying as hell, but they sure did save my life a good couple of times. the stopping power is immense on those, but they do take a toll on the rotors...and my ears.
Yeah when I go to pull into a parking lot I just drive really slowly and use the e-brake to stop LOL