6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

Easy Performance Mods

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tyrant2012 is an unknown quantity at this point
Easy Performance Mods

Hello,
I have a few questions as I am not that experienced with cars. I own a 1998 Honda Civic LX 16YB engine I believe. I just had my entire body re-done with the SI paint new grill, HID 8000K lights, blue LED dome lightening inside,got a nice stereo in it, had my head gaskets, timing belt, radiator, water pump and pulley systems re-done and replaced. Also has fully adjustable stiff springs on it now. Soon to be buying new taillights 15 inch blacked out rims and a few other things for it like fog lights and some small interior things like new mats etc. Well to get to the point I want to add a little more Umph under the hood as the engine and as far performance its pretty much stock. So I want some advice on some somewhat cheap and easy mods I can do to the engine or car itself to give it maybe 10 to 25 more HP. I dont want to do anything major like a turbo or something like that. From what I know I should put a nice Cold air intake on it and performance spark plug wires and plugs. I dont want a exhaust kit though. So if anyone can give me some advice or recommandations would be greatly appreciated thanks alot.

Name:  IMG_0036.jpg
Views: 8667
Size:  106.2 KB

Name:  IMG_0032.jpg
Views: 10109
Size:  115.9 KB

Last edited by Tyrant2012; 06-19-2011 at 01:24 AM.
Old 06-19-2011
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Easy Performance Mods

Intake and plugs will give you minimal gains at best. You probably wouldn't even notice them to be honest. You're looking at a swap(my suggestion), upgraded exhaust along with the intake, different cams, and other internals.
Old 06-19-2011
Low and slow!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
02civicsi02 will become famous soon enough

Intake will give like 4 hp, the plugs won't really do anything. Upgrade exhaust, header, cams, ecu. Or you can swap.
Old 06-20-2011
Registered!!

Tyrant2012 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the tips everyone, although most of that stuff is just a little out of what I want, I dont want to make this thing super fast, I like the MPG I get I just want a little extra boost. ECU,Cams and especially a swap is all stuff I have to have a mechanic do and is just a little too pricy I jsut want mods I can do myself that arent too difficult. And its hard to find compatible parts for a 98 lx 4 door.
Old 06-20-2011
Registered!!

JackedByJack is an unknown quantity at this point

another way to make it alittle faster is weight reduction, by removing the spare tire, back seats, carpeting, any radio or aftermarket sound system, if you can go without ac remove that as well, go light weight alloy wheels, remove the air bags and install a new steering wheel. all this can greatly improve your speed and its absolutley free(except the wheels and steering wheel) you would be very suprised how much a difference 200 to 300 pounds can make.
Old 02-17-2015
Registered!!

hsennik is an unknown quantity at this point

have you considered a "sprint booster" they do not give you more horsepower or torque for that matter but it basically increases you elctronic speeds from flooring the pedal down to the motor. Its easy as hell to install and its only like $300. Some of the other guys may disagree but if your on a budget and its a DIY this is something to look into

Here check this link out:
Old 02-19-2015
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
06 EX Mild Mods has a spectacular aura about06 EX Mild Mods has a spectacular aura about06 EX Mild Mods has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by hsennik
have you considered a "sprint booster" they do not give you more horsepower or torque for that matter but it basically increases you elctronic speeds from flooring the pedal down to the motor. Its easy as hell to install and its only like $300. Some of the other guys may disagree but if your on a budget and its a DIY this is something to look into

Here check this link out:
Sprint Booster on Motorhead Garage TV - YouTube
Removed the resonator muffler to the right of pipe clamp and replaced it with a straight pipe, $65 at local muffler shop. Sounds better without the annoyingly loud sound of some large diameter mufflers. I did a intake mod that greatly reduced the stock intake restriction with just time and my own manual labor. If interested in this contact me.