6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

What would you do if...

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011
Autocross Padawan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of light
What would you do if...

Hey guys... sorry I haven't been around for awhile. Had some extra stuff for college and have been crazy busy with the car. Will post up results after.. quite a bit of body work and other misc. stuff

Anyway so I've ran into a dilemma... awhile ago I discovered what "torque specs" are the hard way by snapping a valve cover bolt (the back right one next to the oil cap). Since I didn't have any of the fancy tap&die tools I took it to a shop and for ~$50 they..er, "fixed" it. Basically what they did was put some sealant over it and cut the new valve cover bolt short so that it would fit the thread. Now 6 months later when I go to do some work on the head, as soon as I put it back together oil starts seeping out of the top of the bolt. At this point I have two options.. and I don't like either of them:

1) take it to a dealership
2) replace the head

What would you guys do? Any other suggestions? I can't really mimic their half-*** job and I can't really do anything about it since it was fine until I took the bolt off.

Thanks
Old 06-13-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of
Re: What would you do if...

Hmmm... are you still on your stock head gasket?
Old 06-13-2011
Autocross Padawan

Zeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of light

Nope. It's..well "aftermarket"...Now that you mention it I'm wondering if it's just the valve cover. I didn't actually try putting the old one back on. The new one sits on the gasket just fine it's just leaking out from the top of the bolt.
Old 06-13-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Well, if the bolts snapped off in the head I would remove it and let a machine shop drill it out and put in a helicoil. The shop that “fixed” it sounds like they did a pretty sketchy job, anyone can cut a bolt short and put some sealant on it. They essentially duct taped and problem they should have been able to easily repair.
Old 06-16-2011
Autocross Padawan

Sorry for the delayed response.. just a quick update. I went to inspect the thread to do a helicoil and basically when the shop attempted to tap the bolt out they cracked the thread hole in 4 different places. I got a 2nd opinion from a friend at the local honda dealership and they said the only way that damage could've been caused is from attempting to tap and drill out a screw.

With this information should I go to the shop that did it and tell them to buy me a new head? It's possible for the cracks to be welded and rethreaded by a machine shop but there really needs to be some accountability taken here.
Old 06-16-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

You don't have a leg to stand on since you caused the initial damage. I don't think your going to be able to get anything out of them but you can always try. That really sucks though A new head can be had for pretty cheap though.
Old 06-16-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

yeah, found one in my area for a 7th for 150, 60k miles - did not buy, though, mine seems fine
Old 06-17-2011
Low and slow!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
02civicsi02 will become famous soon enough

Why would you need a new head for this? So your just sayin a valvecover bolt just broke off and is stuck. Pics would be nice but there is always a way to get a bolt out. If you can use something to wessel it way out, use an easy out, drill it and tap it.
Old 06-17-2011
Autocross Padawan

I'd get pics but right now there's a temporary fix on there and im afraid to touch it until I get a new head.

Imagine looking at the thread hole where the bolt would screw into and having that being cracked in 3 different places. My only concern is that there's a part of it that's loose. This damage was caused from the shop attempting to tap it out and cracked it instead. I called the guy at the shop explained what happened and he wrote me off a check for $500 (115$ he charged me to do the hack job and 385$ for the new head) He excessively apologized and admitted that he knew what they did and knew it was wrong. I was surprised, but admired his honesty. I guess there's a lesson to be learned here.. if anything engine related goes wrong.. take it to a legitimate machine shop.. Or even better.. research the damn torque specs before hand..

Last edited by Zeferint; 06-17-2011 at 12:48 PM.
Old 06-17-2011
Low and slow!

So they cracked your head tryin to tap it out lmao what the hell were they thinking and how can you even do that my god. I swear shops today most of them don't kno wat the hell they are doin that's why I do everything myself no matter wat it is
Old 06-18-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

I'm surprised he owned up to it and cut you a check for $500, it takes a very honest person to do that.

If I were in your position I would scrap your head and buy a replacement, they're easy to find at junk yards for $50-100.
Old 06-18-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

02civicsi02, the heck is your new avatar?!? bwaaahahahaha!
Zeferint, i agree with MB, having a spare head is an insurance in your case.
Old 06-18-2011
Low and slow!

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
02civicsi02, the heck is your new avatar?!? bwaaahahahaha!
Zeferint, i agree with MB, having a spare head is an insurance in your case.
Lol its zach galifianakis from the hangover. Its been a while so I needed a new avatar
Old 06-18-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Wow awesome that he cut you a check.. Good news there now put a **** ton of sealant on there and see how long u canrun without it leaking < Bad Advice!
Old 06-18-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Sketchy seller, but check this out https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...ne-worked.html
Old 06-18-2011
Autocross Padawan

^^ Thanks man I recently came across that. My parents give that shop a lot of business so I'm sure the owner wouldn't have done that for just anyone. I talked to a Honda mechanic and they said that they rarely do tap procedures because of the risk involved (unless of course they break the bolt themselves). I guess when the grease monkeys at the shop tried to do it they put way too much stress on the head and cracked the damn thing. Ah well...
Old 06-19-2011
Autocross Padawan

Sorry for the double post but I figured I'd use the same thread for asking the question--if I do get a new head aside from the head is there anything that I should replace? Like....radiator hoses? Solenoid filter? Or is all of that really unnecessary?