6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

96 EX Original Paint Chipping & Fading

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mnea is an unknown quantity at this point
96 EX Original Paint Chipping & Fading

If you were hoping to hold on to the car 'til she falls apart but don't want to break the bank, how would you handle these issues? THANKS!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	rust_001.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	80944   Click image for larger version

Name:	rust_002.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	80945   Click image for larger version

Name:	rust_003.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	80946   Click image for larger version

Name:	paint-roof.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	80947  
Old 06-03-2011
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light
Re: 96 EX Original Paint Chipping & Fading

Ouch. The first three photos look like you can just clean it up, and then use some OEM touch up paint on them. That's what I did and nobody notices. I filled in some gash that was on the car when I bought it with that stuff and you can barely tell. I mean, I can since it's my car, but you'd have to be really up close to notice it if you weren't me. The last one looks much more severe. I honestly don't know how I'd handle that one .
Old 06-04-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

That 4th one is oxidized bad. Ideally you want to do this inside. Make sure the car is clean and dry. Rough it up with super-fine grit sandpaper. You're just roughing it up, not trying to take anything off so, go very easy. O'reillys has some paint in a can that matches almost exactly. Spray it on and let it dry. Then spray on clear. It looks like crap up close but at least it won't look like a big piece of poo from further away.

I had the same problem and just went with flat black. So it's flat black on top and shiny black on the sides. Doesn't look terrible, just not good.
Old 06-06-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

For the haze perhaps you could try a rotary and some compound if you know how to use it. A dual action polisher may also work with some light compound, but may take longer. Start with the least abrassive way and work your way up to the most abrasive. The deep scratches either need to be completely repainted or touched up with touch up paint. Sandpaper wont work.
Old 06-06-2011
Registered!!

JackedByJack is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah i agree use some higher end vehicle paint and just do your best not to get runs, and its should come out pretty good