6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

Frustration w/ Door Actuator

Old 04-07-2011
Autocross Padawan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of light
Frustration w/ Door Actuator

Hey guys,

Took out my passenger side door actuator today..well, in more than one piece. I read up on gearbox's DIY and though it was (extremely) helpful, I was unable to take this part off: (I had to cut the metal to get it out and unscrew it) Now what I'm wondering.. how on earth are you supposed to get this damn piece off so I can put it on the new actuator?

Name:  DSCF0969.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  18.1 KB

Name:  DSCF0970.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  24.1 KB

Thanks.
Old 04-07-2011
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Frustration w/ Door Actuator

Looks like a rivet, you cant take it off.... I doubt

and what the hell is that from?
I never saw anything like that from the driver side door taking apart my actuator

Are you replacing the actuator? or the entire door lock assembly?
Old 04-07-2011
Autocross Padawan

Zeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of light

The entire door lock assembly. That's the piece that screws into the door handle so when you lift the door handle it lifts the latch in the assembly that opens the door.

Quick pic of it before I took it out:

Name:  P1060118.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  24.8 KB
Old 04-07-2011
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

I cant really make out what it is...

Why are you replacing the entire lock assembly?
if the motor is fried, u can just replace the actuator itself

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...-actuator.html
Check that link out
Old 04-07-2011
Autocross Padawan

Name:  Acutatorandlatch.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  32.3 KB

The bottom half is the actuator on the 6th gen -- to get access to it you need to fully take it out in order to get access to the screws in order to take it out. I probably didn't have to fully take it out but my big ogre sized hands couldn't get in there to take out all the screws.
Old 04-07-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

i just replaced that part on my 02 civic yesterday and it took 5 mins. take a few screws out, the window channel, and the rods, then it just comes out. im not sure why you are messing with the handle at all. you just need to replace that part above. altho judging by your first pic, it looks like you broke the door handle where the rod connects. that clip can be a pain to squeeze out the rod, but a pair of wide nose pliars did the job for me. you made a big mistake cutting that off and now you need a whole new door handle too. the rod shouldve been able to squeeze out of that plastic clip.

i had the opposite problem that most have. my actuator worked fine, but the locking part was messed and my key wouldnt even turn it. only power lock worked.

Last edited by gearbox; 04-07-2011 at 10:53 PM.
Old 04-07-2011
Autocross Padawan

No I didn't break that part of the door handle it actually just screwed out. The new actuator/door locking mechanism comes with a new one so I can screw it back in when I get the new one (that's why I thought I had to take the whole thing out in the first place). But yeah overall I realized I shouldn't have taken the whole damn thing out. Ah well, I seem to always learn stuff the hard way first.
Old 04-07-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

ah okay lol. so did you get it working?
Old 04-08-2011
Autocross Padawan

Not yet, I'm waiting for a new door motor to come in .. figured since I had the door panel off might as well do it before putting everything back together.