6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

Dash Bezel removal

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CivicinCincy is an unknown quantity at this point
Dash Bezel removal

Some Grinch decided to break into my car and viciously rip out my aftermarket head unit. Broke tons of pieces on the plastic bezel around it and the whole thing needs to be replaced. Anyone have a good DIY?

Also, they broke the rear vent window if someone has advice on that as well.

Thanks!
Old 12-29-2010
Autocross Padawan

Zeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Dash Bezel removal

Sorry to hear about it man. While the bezel can be pulled out by just giving it a good tug, in order to totally remove it from your dash you need to a few steps before hand. I would love to give visuals, but I literally just finished ripping apart my dash trying to return my civic back to stock haha. I will try to explain it in words as best as I can.

First off--I have a 00' Sedan, but I am sure the process will be very similar for coupes. Just a heads up. Also, it's probably a good idea to disconnect the negative terminal to your battery. Ya never know. Taking apart your dash is actually fairly simple. It's like a giant sequence. Gotta go through the sequence. You'll pick it up once you start removing the first few pieces. I even wipe down the pieces everytime I take them out..I like a really clean interior

Anyways..to the makeshift DIY

First thing to get removed is the center console. There should be four screws (2 on either side). Then you need to unscrew the other piece that its connected to (with the cupholders) -- again, that should be 4 screws. Two on each side. Both parts are kind of interlaced so it takes a little wiggling but they should come right off. Don't forget to unscrew the shifter boot!

Next unscrew the piece right below the cigarette lighter. Should just be four screws. The last piece to come out is the piece directly below the bezel. To remove this, put your glovebox all the way down (squeeze it till the rubber ***** move past) there should be two screws there. Take those out.

Next, unscrew the panel below the steering wheel. There should be a total of four screws (two on the left side of the steering wheel two on the right side) -- after the screws are off give it a gentle tug and it should pop off. Disconnect any plugs. Now two more screws should be revealed, and you can now finally unscrew the piece directly below the bezel.

Disconnect the cigarette lighter. Now you should be able to reach behind the bezel. Now heres where things can get a little tricky. Give the bezel a tug -- it should pop out 2 or 3 inches. Take a flathead and GENTLY pry off the connector to the hazards. Then reach behind the bezel and there should be two connectors for your climate controls. Pull those out. The only thing that might be holding it on are a few bolts (they hold the bezel to the rest of the dash) -- to be honest these were already removed when I bought the car so I don't know what else you could run into, but with bottom part of the interior removed you should have a really good view of whatever is in there.

Hope this helps. Sorry to hear about the theft. Some people these days...makes me want to
Old 12-29-2010
Registered!!

Thanks for the tips!
Old 12-29-2010
Registered!!

asianboy781 is a jewel in the roughasianboy781 is a jewel in the roughasianboy781 is a jewel in the roughasianboy781 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by CivicinCincy
Thanks for the tips!
im working on my car tomarrow as of thursday
i can take pics and guide u to how to take out the center bezel
the rear vent window hmm
i changed it once on a camery
but not a civic
my friend got a sedan but i dont think i ever see him soon
cuz i can find out how to take it out
Old 12-29-2010
Registered!!

If you could take pictures that would be great. Thanks
Old 12-29-2010
Registered!!

asianboy781 is a jewel in the roughasianboy781 is a jewel in the roughasianboy781 is a jewel in the roughasianboy781 is a jewel in the rough

yup i'll take pics