6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

98 Civic AWD Conversion

Old 12-03-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of
Re: 98 Civic AWD Conversion

Like xRiceboyx said, we'd all love to see it happen, its just someone coming in and making their first post about an AWD first time one off completely custom swap is something we've seen many times. Its more often a noob question than a serious question, I'd love to see a build thread though.

On a serious note, what motor are you thinking of going with?
Old 12-03-2010
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

the hell with it!

let the build begin!!!

post up a lot of pixs so this thread will be 1231204818490314 pages long!
Old 12-03-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
98D16Y8CivicEX is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MindBomber
Like xRiceboyx said, we'd all love to see it happen, its just someone coming in and making their first post about an AWD first time one off completely custom swap is something we've seen many times. Its more often a noob question than a serious question, I'd love to see a build thread though.

On a serious note, what motor are you thinking of going with?
I understand the initial skepticism that comes with a post like this as I've seen many of them myself just fizzle out and die after a few comments.

Motor wise, I'm sticking with the stock D16Y8 motor that came with the car (although plans for doing an all-motor build are in the pre-planning stages).
Old 12-03-2010
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,143 Likes on 798 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

You're gonna have to go with an engine equipped for awd. Even if you somehow make an awd platform work with a d16, the drivetrain losses would defeat the purpose of going to awd in the first place
Old 12-04-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
You're gonna have to go with an engine equipped for awd. Even if you somehow make an awd platform work with a d16, the drive train losses would defeat the purpose of going to awd in the first place
Not really sure why the motor would have to be equipped for AWD when there's been plenty of other motors out there (both foreign and domestics) that were not originally equipped for AWD and have it anyway.
Old 12-05-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,437 Likes on 1,193 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by 98D16Y8CivicEX
Not really sure why the motor would have to be equipped for AWD when there's been plenty of other motors out there (both foreign and domestics) that were not originally equipped for AWD and have it anyway.
K24 in the near future?
did you get a look at the car-parts site? they have used parts from all over the country
http://www.car-part.com/

Last edited by sdaidoji; 12-05-2010 at 08:07 AM.
Old 12-05-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

I can't think of a single foreign or domestic motor not originally equipped for AWD that has it.
Old 12-05-2010
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,143 Likes on 798 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MindBomber
I can't think of a single foreign or domestic motor not originally equipped for AWD that has it.
yea.. me either.. Also, even if you could fab up something to work, I wouldn't want a D series to power an AWD drivetrain... Just sayin..
Old 12-05-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
yea.. me either.. Also, even if you could fab up something to work, I wouldn't want a D series to power an AWD drivetrain... Just sayin..
Well, the motor will eventually get completely rebuilt as an all-motor beast, but for now it's just getting some minor upgrades.
Old 12-05-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Good stuff.

I think what Riceboy was getting at is that your going to loose a ton of power well adding weight in the short term, but if you build the motor up big then that will probably compensate pretty well.
Old 12-16-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Update:
I found one more...
Much more details now...
http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread...ight=4wd+civic
http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread...ight=4wd+civic

Last edited by sdaidoji; 12-16-2010 at 07:02 PM.
Old 12-16-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

I've actually seen it a few times now after searching for a bit, you def need to know what your doing though and have the ability to fabricate and design custom wiring harnesses. I'm going to do a k-swap awd conversion, just wait 5 or 6 years when I have time and you'll see lol
Old 12-16-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

yup, not something that i would tackle myself, just stumbled at it when looking for other stuff, but these ones have more details also, so i thought it would be a good incentive to OP if he still around
Old 12-16-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Its the wiring thats the biggest obstacle, you need to now more than just how to move pins around to build those circuit boards.
Old 12-19-2010
Autocross Padawan

Zeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sl33pyriceboi
not this **** again.
I couldn't help but burst out laughing.
Old 12-28-2010
Registered!!

!UPDATE!

Still looking for a CRV donor car for this swap. Haven't been able to find any that are under $5000 or so. Once I find one, the swap will begin!

HA HA HA HA HA

sorry.
Old 12-29-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

did you take a look at the car-parts.com?
good to see you still there
Old 12-29-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

You can't buy a complete donor car off that site..
Old 12-29-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

oh, i was thinking he could find each part there, but maybe more expensive
Old 11-24-2012
Registered!!

Ok. Here's an update for anyone still out there listening. I am currently trying to catch back up to LIFE. This build is still in the planning stages as it is something that WILL be done, just not right now. I'm still trying to locate the parts for the build, as well as the money for the parts. Eventually I will have both as well as time to do this, but for the foreseeable future, I have to put the whole build on pause. I have a family to take care of and that takes precedence over anything else.

I will try to post pics of what my car looks like in the near future.

Laterz
Old 11-25-2012
PITA Admin
Administrator

holy C. good to see yer still trying it, then. (honestly)
Old 12-30-2012
Registered!!

awbyers9009 is an unknown quantity at this point

!UPDATE!

Still looking for a CRV donor car for this swap. Haven't been able to find any that are under $5000 or so. Once I find one, the swap will begin!

HA HA HA HA HA

sorry.
what year crv are you using ??
Old 01-01-2013
Registered!!

dnice78 is an unknown quantity at this point

Are you still thinking about sticking with the D series? Wouldn't it be much more effective to do a Wagovan RT4wd swap that mates a D vs. doing a D2B and AWD?