6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

98 Civic AWD Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of
Re: 98 Civic AWD Conversion

How long do you expect the swap will take to complete?
Old 11-29-2010
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Fluid dynamics of exhaust flow would be disrupted and can potentially harm performance. Kinda like how AEM's V2 intake utilizes 2 different pipe diameters for performance. Although the results are negligible on a 7thgen, the V2 intake definitely sounds and feels different than a regular pipe. They took into account sound resonation and air flow to achieve performance gains. It could work the other way by messing up the flow of exhaust gases. That also kinda ties in with flow restrictions.

Only way to tell for sure is if you had some sort of air flow bench to test it out.
Old 11-29-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

sorry, after re-reading what i wrote, i have to admit that i am completely nuts and love to see this type of challenge... But it is for real. If you want, study the basics and go ahead. (this is a must)
even if you fail, that is a thing learned.

Last edited by sdaidoji; 11-29-2010 at 11:07 PM.
Old 11-29-2010
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

You and me both, man. I would LOVE to actually be able to follow someone's progress in creating an AWD civic. I've only seen it in stories. lol

What about eh SH-AWD system honda has? It's not a full time AWD, but it engages when traction starts to slip.. or something like that. I understand it's for a V6 app only though, right? But that would be awesome if you could fab something like that up. There was a dude that fit a V6 under his civic hood, so anythings possible, right?

I'm freakin excited now, if this project ever gets underway.
Old 11-29-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
98D16Y8CivicEX is an unknown quantity at this point

As soon as I'm able to start this project, I will be posting pics and updates here for everyone.

Thanks for all the advice/wise words.
Old 11-30-2010
Registered!!

19civic98 is an unknown quantity at this point

sell your civic and get an awd car.
98 imprexa coupe cost like grand or 2 more.
competly worth it and complety worth not trying to make your civic awd.
Unless your into migrains and throwing away thousends go for it.
Old 11-30-2010
Registered!!

yeabmx is an unknown quantity at this point

wow... i checked out that link. that thread is amazing. literally in shock after i checked it out. anyone who hasnt should definitely take a look. it was amazing.
Old 11-30-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by 19civic98
sell your civic and get an awd car.
98 imprexa coupe cost like grand or 2 more.
competly worth it and complety worth not trying to make your civic awd.
Unless your into migrains and throwing away thousends go for it.
this may be true, but then what would I learn? The point of doing this project is to learn what works and what doesn't. If everyone always took the easy way on everything, then we'd still be stuck in the stone age. The only way to progress further with our lives is by making mistakes and learning from them.

Hopefully, this won't be a mistake, but it will still be a learning experience for all involved.
Old 11-30-2010
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond repute

Subscribed but not holding my breath.

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
Hey, if you can make it fit, then go ahead and stick it in...
Words to live by.
Old 11-30-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by 98D16Y8CivicEX
On a side note, my Haynes manual has nothing in it for different transmission except AT and MT. Does that mean that the CRV, Integra and Civic for those years that the book covers (not entirely sure, the book is down in the car) have the same transmission?
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...er=219639_0_0_
Old 11-30-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

ahhh, ok, sorry...
mine have only the 01-02 civic in it. sorry, my mistake.
Old 11-30-2010
Registered!!

It's all good.
Old 11-30-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

this may be true, but then what would I learn? The point of doing this project is to learn what works and what doesn't. If everyone always took the easy way on everything, then we'd still be stuck in the stone age. The only way to progress further with our lives is by making mistakes and learning from them.

Hopefully, this won't be a mistake, but it will still be a learning experience for all involved.
As long as you don't mind dropping some serious coin, its completely possible to and you'd learn a lot. will be interesting to see progress
Old 12-02-2010
Registered!!

Ok, so I've decided I want to start this thing as soon as I can....only one thing stands in my way right now.....

does anyone know where I can get a "donor" CRV for cheap?

MUST BE AWD!
Old 12-02-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

CRVs aren't cheap, especially with the AWD option.

Put calls into local scrap yards, sometimes they can source you one but it'll probably cost a few thousand.
Old 12-02-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by MindBomber
CRVs aren't cheap, especially with the AWD option.

Put calls into local scrap yards, sometimes they can source you one but it'll probably cost a few thousand.
Even a wrecked one! Man, this is going to take a while.

BTW, Love your sig!
Old 12-02-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Wrecked is a relative term when it comes to a donor.

The body can be completely destroyed, but since you need something with an intact drive train all the most valuable parts are still there. I'd guess your looking at an absolute minimum of $2000 if you get lucky.

Thanks, I like it to
Old 12-02-2010
Registered!!

Would it be possible (I know it'll be more costly) to just buy the pieces one by one that I need? Or should I just hold out for the whole system?
Old 12-02-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

carparts.com
Old 12-02-2010
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

Would it be possible (I know it'll be more costly) to just buy the pieces one by one that I need? Or should I just hold out for the whole system?
well, first you have to have these basic:

1. know how to weld.
2. know how to install/take part suspension, including how to install/remove ball joints, rods, hub + hub bearing, breaks, rotors, lines, axles....etc
3. know how thing work together.
4. u needa have all the proper tools (its a lot of tools)

if u dont have all 4 basics, ur in for a very......very and i mean VERY hard learning experience.... pretty much makes it impossible.
Old 12-03-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

You could but it will be more costly and since this is a completely custom swap you'll probably won't realize all the parts you need until your almost done. For example, are you planning on using the civic suspension or the crv suspension, will either bolt up without fab? Since this is AWD I assume you'll want to keep power steering, but how will you tie the civic P/S system to CRV engine? What parts are coming from what vehicle..

Originally Posted by sl33pyriceboi

1. know how to weld.
2. know how to install/take part suspension, including how to install/remove ball joints, rods, hub + hub bearing, breaks, rotors, lines, axles....etc

if u dont have all 4 basics, ur in for a very......very and i mean VERY hard learning experience.... pretty much makes it impossible.
I'll add a few things to the list if you don't mind...

5. Ability to custom fabricate parts
6. Ability to make a completely custom wiring harness
7. Pay for it, this will cost more than a k-swap by the time your finished.
8. A good workspace, because it will take a long time to figure out how to fit everything together.

If you complete it and do a good job, you might very well make it into a magazine though.

Last edited by MindBomber; 12-03-2010 at 12:40 AM.
Old 12-03-2010

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

^hhahah i was simply being basic. lol but ur list works as well.
Old 12-03-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

^hhahah i was simply being basic. lol but ur list works as well.
The combination of both is basic lol

The skill level to do this would have a list with a few hundred thing !!
Old 12-03-2010

The combination of both is basic lol

The skill level to do this would have a list with a few hundred thing !!
yea. i can rip my whole car apart and rebuild it completely, and even i would stay away from this project. lol

haha but y are we so negitive? let him do it! so what if he fails? ive failed a **** load of times working on my civic.

you live life and you learn.
Old 12-03-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

yea. i can rip my whole car apart and rebuild it completely, and even i would stay away from this project. lol

haha but y are we so negitive? let him do it! so what if he fails? ive failed a **** load of times working on my civic.

you live life and you learn.

I'm trying to be positive, I really want to see how far he gets with it..

Its just so hard not to flame.
Old 12-03-2010
Premium Member

TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

Initially I thought WTF is this guy thinking... And I kept reading because my jaw was still on the floor...

If you dont have to swap the engine, this could be pretty easy. If you have to swap the engine, then ****... just getting it mounted and running is going to be a task of its own- ecu, gauge cluster wiring, blah blah blah.

Maybe you should start thinking how to take a working crv awd and put your current civic's body on the frame. That sounds easier.

Engine change necessary? (I didnt follow any links yet)
Old 12-03-2010
Administrator
Administrator

Originally Posted by TRIZ
Initially I thought WTF is this guy thinking... And I kept reading because my jaw was still on the floor...

If you dont have to swap the engine, this could be pretty easy. If you have to swap the engine, then ****... just getting it mounted and running is going to be a task of its own- ecu, gauge cluster wiring, blah blah blah.

Maybe you should start thinking how to take a working crv awd and put your current civic's body on the frame. That sounds easier.

Engine change necessary? (I didnt follow any links yet)

If you haven't seen it before, definitely click the h-t link I posted. Dude put a eg body on a suby chassis, and thing looks clean
Old 12-03-2010
PITA Admin
Administrator

nuff said, except that this one is easier
Name:  2551263712_1e326744f1.jpg
Views: 16322
Size:  70.5 KB
http://autozine.com.br/classicos/fusca-v8

bottom line is - if it fits, you will find a way to make it work.

Last edited by sdaidoji; 12-05-2010 at 08:05 AM.
Old 12-03-2010
Registered!!

1. know how to weld.

1. I have a buddy of mine that is very proficient at welding
2. Suspension, ball joints, rods, hubs/bearings, breaks, rotors, lines, axles...etc are all in my basic know how to begin with. I've done them all on various cars that I've owned over the years.
3. Knowing how things work together is definitely a must and what I don't know, I have friends that do.
4. Proper tools is pretty much taken care of as I have a buddy with a garage with a ****-load of tools and what he doesn't have, AutoZone or Advanced Auto Parts can loan (or buy).

You could but it will be more costly and since this is a completely custom swap you'll probably won't realize all the parts you need until your almost done. For example, are you planning on using the civic suspension or the crv suspension, will either bolt up without fab? Since this is AWD I assume you'll want to keep power steering, but how will you tie the civic P/S system to CRV engine? What parts are coming from what vehicle..
Probably will use the Civic suspension, but if it doesn't work that way then will switch to CRV suspension. Not sure if I have to fab anything, but can and will if I have to. As far as the P/S goes, I'm putting the AWD system on my current engine, so will not have to worry about that. What I have to work on is getting the AWD tranny and the rest onto the Civic motor.

I'll add a few things to the list if you don't mind...

5. Ability to custom fabricate parts
6. Ability to make a completely custom wiring harness
7. Pay for it, this will cost more than a k-swap by the time your finished.
8. A good workspace, because it will take a long time to figure out how to fit everything together.

If you complete it and do a good job, you might very well make it into a magazine though.
5. Ability is not all there, though I do have friends that know how to and if not, they have friends that do.
6. Wiring harnesses? I'm not afraid to do a little re-wiring of the whole drivetrain and anything else that goes with it. Like I've said before, this is as much as a learning experience as it is anything else.
7. By trying to find as many parts as I can that are either from junked donors or possible some "gifts" , I should be able to keep the cost lower than most may think.
8. See #4 above. Let me elaborate on this. My buddy has a 6000 sq. ft. garage with almost as many tools as you would find in a mechanics workshop minus some of the more "specialized" tools.
Old 12-03-2010
Administrator
Administrator

Dude, like I've been saying, if you have the means, then do it. I would LOVE to follow a build thread like that.

Quick Reply: 98 Civic AWD Conversion