6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

P0505 CEL and 98 dx sat untouched for 1 year.

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ggsbassist is an unknown quantity at this point
P0505 CEL and 98 dx sat untouched for 1 year.

I'm new to civics. I got this car because my grandma crashed it, parked it, and forgot about it. In effort to bring it back to life seeing as it only has 49k miles and it free I seafoamed, changed tranny fluid, oil change, flushed and changed coolant, and changed brake rotors and pads. The car always idled funny but I thought it was just bad gas in the system so I just let it be (NO CEL) and topped off the tank after everything listed above. I was driving to work and the rpm's started acting up (no tac on the auto dx) and the car would bog and jerk on the low rpm range and the CEL came on. It came back as p0505 and the guy at autozone checked it and said it was a dirty tb. I bought a cleaner spray and used it in the parking lot and no change. My rpm's still dip and rise like waves in idle and at low rpms while in drive I look like I'm shifting like a moron. I read other threads but none came to an actual conclusion. Do I need a new tb? Can I clean some sensors and be ok? Can I replace something in the tb? Please help. I'm good at doing my own work but don't know much about actual mechanics. Point in me the right direction with idiot proof language and I should be able to get it right.
Old 10-07-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of
Re: P0505 CEL and 98 dx sat untouched for 1 year.

Take Idle Air Control (IAC) off and clean it too. It's #2: http://www.bkhondaparts.com/billkay/...itch=&hidIrno= Other than that you may have a vacuum leak.
Old 10-08-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ggsbassist is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: P0505 CEL and 98 dx sat untouched for 1 year.

Thanks, I'll try to take it off and clean it. Any way of checking for leaks other than spraying into the tb? Is there anything I should know about the sensor before trying to remove it?
Old 10-09-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of
Re: P0505 CEL and 98 dx sat untouched for 1 year.

Clean with cleaner only and air dry. Replace gasket if necessary.

If you clean it and it's still having problems then we can troubleshoot that IAC.