6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

Severe loss of power/acceleration - Looses speed uphil

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Skelt11 is an unknown quantity at this point
Severe loss of power/acceleration - Looses speed uphil

Hi guys,

New to the forum. I have a 99 2dr Civic EX (I think) with a 166k on it. It was my commuter for a while. Picked up Land Rover at the beginning of the year so it has set parked pretty much for 7 months. Started driving it recently and am having some issues with it.

Issues -
- SEVERE loss of power. Acceleration is slightly slow until around 4K RPM, from then on it just dies. I drove to work this morning on I95. While going up a long slight incline, the car couldn't maintain speed even after I down shifted to 4th and kept it floored. I slowed from 70-75 to 60 before I crested the hill. I keep it in 4th due the problem below.

- After I reach 4K rpm, I start hearing a noise thats like a tiss-tiss-tiss-tiss. It only occurs while accelerating and only at 4-4.5K rpm. I'm thinking exhaust leak somewhere but I can't find it.

- Just noticed that my oil pan has a leak. Easy enough.

- Also believe my CC is broken. I hear a rattle when I start and at idle, but goes away with acceleration for the most part. I hear it from time to time at slow speeds.

- MGP down to 18-20. (measured by total miles drive/gallons added)

What I have done so far-
- New plugs and wires
- New Air filter (It has an after market cold air intake. Replaced the cone filter)
- New fuel filter
- New battery (last on was dead)
- Been running 93 in it and added a bottle of Lucas fuel treatment.

So what are your thoughts? I haven't checked the cylinder compression yet, I don't have the tool. I know I need to replace the CC, but I don't believe that is the extent of the problems. Any suggestions you guys have would be GREATLY appreciate. I started driving this again to cut down my 500 a month gas bill from my land rover and so far its just costing me more.

Last edited by Skelt11; 08-06-2010 at 02:42 PM.
Old 08-13-2010
Registered!!

johnson8861 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Severe loss of power/acceleration - Looses speed uphil

You said you changed the plugs, check them to see if they fouled, if so disconnect the cat to see if the problem persists, if it does not replace the cat. This just happened to me.
Old 08-13-2010
Registered!!

Mal2000Si is an unknown quantity at this point

a simple compression test will tell you bunches, you might have a burnt or bent valve
Old 08-17-2010
Registered!!

LilSquirtEX is an unknown quantity at this point

I had the same problem with my 97 EX. I performed a complete tune-up, added a dc sports header, and cold air intake. Eventually, I went in and did a valve lash a.k.a. valve adjustment. It's pretty simple. Here is a link for step by step instructions. http://civic-eg.com/viewtopic.php?t=6340
It worked for me and I improved my mpg's by 12mpg. Hope this helps.