6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

Can american parts fit into japanese cars?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gio2323 is an unknown quantity at this point
Can american parts fit into japanese cars?

So i bought a 97' honda civic lx and the the top cover of the air filter is broken so i need to replace. So i went to my local honda dealer and i gave them my vin number. If the car was made here in america, the part would only cost me 20 bucks because come on, its pretty much a piece a plastic. But my car is Japanese according to the vin number so that same part instead of costing me 20 dollars, it would cost me about 70 DOLLARS!!!! I was like no way, that's unbelievable. So i was wondering, 1) Can american parts fit into my japanese honda? 2) Does that mean all the other parts are like 3x the price???. Thanks who ever replies and damn you honda for making s**t so complicated.
Old 08-02-2010
Registered!!

Re: Can american parts fit into japanese cars?

please someone reply
Old 08-02-2010
Registered!!

grendel has a spectacular aura aboutgrendel has a spectacular aura about

Who told you that the part you're looking for is a $20 part?
Who decoded your VIN and determined that your car was manufactured in Japan (do you drive from the left or right side)?
Why would you think that the exact same part would be different depending on where it was manufactured?

Honda parts are Honda parts, man.
Old 08-02-2010
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

What's the first character of your VIN? if it starts with "J" it was manufactured in japan. 1 or 4: USA, 2: Canada, 3: Mexico

also, don't go to the dealership. Go to www.hondaautomotiveparts.com or www.hondapartscheap.com or similar to buy your parts. Sure, the shipping charges can be kinda stupid (hondapartscheap usually has higher shipping charges, but slightly lower prices), but you pay less for honda OEM parts in the end.
Old 08-02-2010
Low and slow!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
02civicsi02 will become famous soon enough

Honda parts are honda parts. As long as the part is for your car it will fit no matter if it is from japan. Like riceboy said what is the first letter/number of your VIN. If its J then japan, if 1 or 4 is USA, if 2 then canada, if 3 then mexico, if S then its England/UK.
Old 08-02-2010
Registered!!

grendel:

1) hondapartscheap.com told me that it would cot 20 something dollars.
2) The guy at the dealership said if the vin number started with a J, its manufactured in Japan which meant that parts for my car would be outrageously expensive.

So if i get a part from a civic that was manufactured here in the U.S., it would fit into my civic that was manufactured in japan? So why are parts meant for civics that were manufactured in japan cost more than parts that are meant for civics that were manufactured here in the U.S.?

im a newbie, this is actually my first car to be honest so i don't know s**t
Old 08-02-2010
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

go back to the dealership and kick the dude in the *****. Look for the tranny stamp and it should say "D16Y7." It'll prolly be on the front end of the block, right where the tranny meets up with the block.. Like in the first photo in the link below, where you can clearly see "D16Y8"
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/p...229-post6.html
A 97 civic lx, looking at hondapartscheap, should have the same engine, thus the airbox cover should fit.

again, go back to the dealership and deliver a swift kick to the guy's genitalia
Old 08-03-2010
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

they are all the same parts. japan parts are always more expensive cause its made in japan. its the exact same part and you wont notice any difference. i have some jdm parts on my car just cause at the time, thats all that was available. and yeah it cost $50 more just for a stupid molding piece.
Old 08-03-2010
Registered!!

cool, thanks guys. helped a lot. well eff it, im not buying japanese parts, im sticking to american. Honda parts are honda parts, so s**t should fit in my civic.
Old 08-03-2010
Administrator
Administrator

I still say you should deliver a swift kick to the guy's genitalia. And if it was a chick, still deliver a swift kick to the groin.
Old 08-03-2010
Registered!!

matter in fact, imma do it tommarow ahaha
Old 08-03-2010
Administrator
Administrator

VIDEO OR IT NEVER HaPPENED! ahahhahaa
Old 08-03-2010
Low and slow!

02civicsi02 will become famous soon enough

Ya you should definitely kick him right in the *****. Kick him so hard he goes back to grad school cause thats where he needs to go. I hate it when people get hired at dealerships and know nothing.
Old 08-03-2010
Administrator
Administrator

I definitely hate it when I know more than the person tryin to sell me the ****.. (Honda) dealerships are especially the worst..
Old 08-03-2010
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to all

You should drag your sac across his face, that solves every problem lol
Old 08-03-2010
Registered!!

Name:  Image2.jpg
Views: 1969
Size:  53.8 KB

Name:  Image3.jpg
Views: 2007
Size:  70.5 KB

Name:  Image4.jpg
Views: 2014
Size:  61.4 KB

Name:  Image5.jpg
Views: 1967
Size:  67.5 KB

Name:  Image.jpg
Views: 2006
Size:  74.5 KB

Last edited by gio2323; 08-03-2010 at 07:46 PM.
Old 08-03-2010
Administrator
Administrator

did you make sure it had the same engine? i.e. looking at the stamp on the block like I alluded to earlier? There were 4 different engines they used in the 6th gen civic.. the D16y5 (HX model), -y7 (dx/lx/cx model), -y8 (ex model) and the B16A2 (Si model).. The y5 and y8 have the same air cleaner, while the y7 has a slightly different one.
Old 08-03-2010
Registered!!

dude the stamp says d16y7, so im sorry for being dumb. Thanks riceboy, helped alot. so one question, should i get the air filter cover on hondapartscheap.com but the one that costs like 11 bucks instead of that "japanese" air filter cover part that costs 60-70 bucks? would that fit?
Old 08-03-2010
Registered!!

lordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
Look for the tranny stamp and it should say "D16Y7."
Quote of the week. Most tranny stamps say something lame.

To the OP: I always check the dealer and majestic if I need an oem part. Sometimes the dealer is cheaper than the part+shipping from majestic. Try and find the air box at a junk yard or on hondatech. I'm sure someone will have changed their oem box for an intake.
Old 08-03-2010
Administrator
Administrator

Originally Posted by gio2323
dude the stamp says d16y7, so im sorry for being dumb. Thanks riceboy, helped alot. so one question, should i get the air filter cover on hondapartscheap.com but the one that costs like 11 bucks instead of that "japanese" air filter cover part that costs 60-70 bucks? would that fit?
I was talking about the donor engine, as well.
Old 08-03-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Air cleaner tops suck, I'm on me third. Stupid stripped bolts. lol