6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

shakey rpms!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: shakey rpms!!

that sucks. i think i paid around $50 for each bosch sensor (actually the sensor in the box was ntk, just rebadged label). but yeah my biggest problem with most shops is they use dirt cheap and junk parts that they mark up just to make money. you cant imagine the things ive seen as an auto parts delivery driver. i will never forget the look on my face when i brought sears a set of 4 rotors and pads, the cheapest and worst garbage brand we carry for barely $20 each, and he told me theyre going in some guys truck and being charged $1k for a full brake job. other shops buy the worst oil filter some generic powerflo for $1 each, then sell it for $10 as part of a $30 oil change. its all highway robbery. like the dealership charging $120 to change a pair of $15 cabin filters that takes two minutes and no tools required to remove.
Old 07-17-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CivicRage is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok i have a 99 civic ex. Get a bosch or an ntk? I know they go hand in hand but what directly am i looking for in this 02 sensor so i dont get a wrong one again.

Look at the 5th sensor down this page http://www.drivewire.com/vehicle/hon...oxygen-sensor/ Is this what i should get??? I want to order it right now. If not show me a better price or something.
Old 07-17-2010
Registered!!

Last edited by CivicRage; 08-18-2010 at 04:09 AM.
Old 07-17-2010
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

either ntk or denso would work, honda uses them interchangably. bosch sensor is actually an ntk sensor, but be sure you open the box and check the writing on the sensor. some of them are not ntk. if you cannot find bosch in a store to look at, play it safe and order ntk to be sure. this part is for your car W0133-1617546 for the primary sensor (before the cat). you can also get the one inside the cat, but it doesnt really affect how the car drives.
Old 07-17-2010
Registered!!

Old 07-17-2010
Premium Member

try the o2 sensor first, iac you prolly will end up returning. and thanks for the $$ but i dont accept money for help. you already spent too much as is lol
Old 07-18-2010
Registered!!

Old 07-18-2010
Premium Member

"warmed up" is a relative term, because at warm idle the engine temp can easily drop below what is needed to keep the o2 sensor at the right heat range. the sensor heater is always working on and off, even after the car reaches its operating temp. what should happen tho with a malfunctioning heater is the check engine light usually comes on. iacv determines how warm the engine is by the coolant temp (there is a small amount of coolant flowing right to the sensor). so the iacv adjusts idle speed mainly from when the car is cold up to when it warms up. then it pretty much stays in the same place unless you use heavy accessories like a/c that cause rpm to drop. but yeah on cheap o2 sensors, alot of times the heater circuit just sucks, or it burns out but the ecu still thinks its working since power goes thru the heating element portion.
Old 07-18-2010
Registered!!

David923 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by CivicRage
At 117,000 miles my pcv valve was finally changed and i noticed 0 difference. It didnt help my idle or acceleration any. It also wasn't clogged. I wonder what clogs them up...and yeah..what a dirty ***** it was to change on a 99 civic. I had to get underneath the car and then it broke off in the crankcase . Spent 2 hours trying to pry the **** out with about 2 inches of hand space to work with..

Gearbox. Forget all i asked. I just wanna know this: What is your map sensor reading at idle?? i already know my tps is good. My map sensor is at 10.0 now at idle.

I've now ruled out the o2 sensors and tps.
well it wasnt the pcv valve about to change my o2 sensors thank god i dont have to buy them i have another 97 civic (thats working fine) just gunna swap the sensors and see if that works before i throw more money on parts i dont need...
Old 07-18-2010
Registered!!

Last edited by CivicRage; 08-18-2010 at 04:10 AM.
Old 08-14-2010
Registered!!

Last edited by CivicRage; 08-18-2010 at 04:11 AM.
Old 08-14-2010
Premium Member

oxygen sensors are not "required" for the engine to run properly. at most you will gain 2-3mpg when using a new one over an old or dead one. im sure the new universal sensor was sending strange voltage readings to the ecu and screwing with the engine whereas if its dead, the ecu defaults to a preset program. i would recommend putting in the bosch oem sensor, it will be better than the dead one. and its not good to have check engine light cause then you wont know if any number of other codes are also being stored if you have problems later on with something else. just make sure the sensor is the right one for primary and plugs to the oem harness.
Old 08-14-2010
Registered!!

Last edited by CivicRage; 08-18-2010 at 04:11 AM.
Old 08-18-2010
Registered!!

Old 08-20-2010
Premium Member

hmm does that mean problem solved?
Old 08-25-2010
Registered!!

twisty13 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gearbox
if that is how you expect to get help for a problem, by going around to forums and telling everyone how worthless they are, im not surprised nobody has bothered to say anything. you need to understand we are not trained mechanics, just regular people with other interests, one of which is cars, but not our main profession. so ofcourse you have to expect educated guesses and random comments. if many different mechanics could not solve your problems, how do you expect some group of online forum members to do any better except offer suggestions? im sure you are frustrated, but cars are complicated. thousands of parts, lots of things can go wrong, and nobody knows everything about how an engine works. have you tried hooking up your data logger to see what the throttle positions are, it should be 10% closed and 90% when fully open. is your throttle plate loose, is the gasket between throttle body and intake manifold leaking air, what about the iac gasket, etc. unfortunately with so many parts, you have to go thru and slowly eliminate parts. like i mentioned in your other thread, the tps sensor could have cracked internally and you would never even see it unless you take it apart and look. the sensor is plastic and has a strong spring loaded mechanism with a plastic key hole. the throttle body connector is metal, so it can easily crack the sensor over time and throw off the readings. if you have an older pre-2001 civic, there is also a fast idle valve that can go bad or get loose inside. it can cause erratic idle and stalling. we are trying to help, but you cant expect a quick fix. try checking the pcv valve too.

You're a jacka$$
Old 08-25-2010
Premium Member

i guess its easy to say that after the other guy deleted all his insulting posts, yet i still continued to help him out if you bother to read any of the other posts.
Old 08-30-2010
Registered!!

David923 is an unknown quantity at this point

car problem fixed itself