6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

Ask your intake questions here!

Old 05-19-2010
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ask your intake questions here!

I knew it existed. Lol

AEM DryFlow FTMFW indeed
Old 05-20-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JonnyT_373 is an unknown quantity at this point

Whoops! The D-series engine didn't come to mind. Sorry!
Old 05-27-2010
Registered!!

DRUMMERGUY791 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey i drive a 98 lx and plan on getting a b16 in the future. If i bought an intake that would fit the stock engine now, would it still fit if there was a b16 instead of stock?

Last edited by DRUMMERGUY791; 05-27-2010 at 12:39 PM.
Old 08-14-2010
Registered!!

Pimpedrabit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dnice78
Remember friends don't let friends drive STOCK
Great line man
Old 08-14-2010
Registered!!

Pimpedrabit is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a 98 civic LX and I stuck an EX short ram intake on my original air box. Is that a problem?
Old 08-14-2010
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

should be fine so long as you do not have any air filter in the stock box, only the one on the end of the intake pipe. two filters would be too much restriction.
Old 08-30-2010
Registered!!

zolton is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey guys,
I am new to these forums so be nice!! I have a 2000 Dx, I have been debating adding an intake for awhile. I have thought about buying one or making my own. If I were to make my own this is the ideas I had in mind:

The first one was to keep the stock air box and buy a K&N oem replacement drop in filter and run pipe from the box to the bumper and buy mesh and cut holes next to my fog lights, then put the mesh over the holes with the pipe behind them.

The second idea I had was to remove the stock air box and run a pipe from the throttle body to the place where the resonator box was and create a custom air box/heat shield and place a K&N cone filter in there. Then I would route a pipe from that box to the spots next to the fog lights.

Essentially does it matter where the filter is or what filter I use? Is there a better way to do this. I know I could just buy a kit but I like these kind of projects better. Is there any disadvantages to doing it the ways I have mentioned? Any thoughts/insights about this?
Old 08-31-2010
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

yeah it matters, some filters like K&N have very poor filtration. stick with oiled foam (not cotton gauze) or the dry paper filters that aem makes (dryflow). so long as you have an air filter somewhere, the piping wont matter much. just do not make it too large or airflow will be decreased.
Old 09-18-2010
Registered!!

vincent.hkchua is an unknown quantity at this point

I got a problem with my civic 1.6 vtec 6th gen and I do not know who can help me.
Old 09-21-2010
Registered!!

Joe Hondaman is an unknown quantity at this point

I've got a ebay short ram right now and ever since I put it in it makes some really ugly piercing/whistling sound. Anybody ever hear of this? I'm 99.999999999% sure it's because it's an ebay one so I'm going to upgrade it. Thinking AEM - does anybody have opinions on them? Or are fujitas really worth the money?
Old 10-08-2010
Registered!!

99 Ex is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Benny88
ok well theres heaps of ways the ppl say to do like just disconnecting your battery for 10 min and stuff like that, but i found that this way works best. from hondahookup.com

prob the most safest to do anyway

step 1: take your car for a brisk drive to get the motor to operating temperature.

step 2: take your car home, and take the fuse for the ecu out. it'll more times than not be labeled, but on civics and integras it's under the hood for sure. wait 15 minutes.

step 3: put the fuse back in.

step 4: turn the car on. DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING. GIVE IT NO GAS. let the car idle for roughly 15 minutes, or until the car is idling smooth at lower rpm's.

step 5: turn the ignition off. ONCE AGAIN, DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING OTHER THAN THE KEY. immediately turn the ignition back on after you have gone to full off. this will store the new settings your ecu has made.

hopefully it all works out well for u!
My 99 Civic has recently (twice now in a few weeks) lit my check engine light due to my forward O2 sensor located on my header; I do have a short ram and I am wondering if it can be due the cooling temperatures approaching...disconnecting the O2 sensor and putting it back worked the first time, but today the engine light is back on (idle rpms are much lower than normal again)...those steps you gave would still be a good solution to this problem? or better than dcing and recing the sensor?
Old 10-08-2010
Low and slow!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
02civicsi02 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by 99 Ex
My 99 Civic has recently (twice now in a few weeks) lit my check engine light due to my forward O2 sensor located on my header; I do have a short ram and I am wondering if it can be due the cooling temperatures approaching...disconnecting the O2 sensor and putting it back worked the first time, but today the engine light is back on (idle rpms are much lower than normal again)...those steps you gave would still be a good solution to this problem? or better than dcing and recing the sensor?
He actually said that completely wrong. If you really want to do this you need to disconnect the battery, take the fuse for the battery off and the ecu fuse out to reset everything. You put it all back in then get in the car and make sure the ac, defogger, lights, radio or whatever is all of. Then crank the car and hold the accelerator to 3k rpms with no load until the radiator fan comes on then let the car idle for 5 more minutes. That is the correct way to reset the ecu and do the idle relearn.
Old 11-13-2010
Registered!!

BIGJOE is an unknown quantity at this point

hey guys im new to the site,
i have a 98 civic coupe dx i is my daily driver and im looking to spice it up a little i want to put on a intake i was thinking short ram because i don't want to worry about water problems with the cold air, does anyone know of a cheap brand i can get that mounts from the top not the side?
thanks
Old 11-18-2010
Registered!!

billdoodle is an unknown quantity at this point
deer in the intake

i recently hit a deer in my 97 civic and destroyed my resonator box so, i tossed the box the cut the intake hose in two above where the box was. is this a problem or is there anything i need to do beyond just driving the car??
Old 11-18-2010
Premium Member

so long as the filter box is still there, should be fine. it may make some noise when you step on the gas tho. you could also switch to aftermarket pipe and filter intake.
Old 11-19-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
so long as the filter box is still there, should be fine. it may make some noise when you step on the gas tho. you could also switch to aftermarket pipe and filter intake.
is it imperative to do this since the filter is intact or would it provide more benefits like with a short ram???
Old 11-19-2010
Premium Member

it really wont matter, the filter is the important part. an intake may locate the filter forther away from the engine for more cold air, but warm air wont hurt anything either and you will get better gas mileage (but slightly less power).
Old 11-19-2010
Registered!!

will a chip help me in mileage and power???
Old 11-30-2010
Registered!!

bettybee96 is an unknown quantity at this point

i've got a 96ex (automatic) i just installed a aem short ram intake....... sounds great performs great.....my only problem is that when im cruising at speed and slightly step on the gas not enought to make it drop gears but raise the rpms i get cricket sounding noise but then when i press harder on the gas it goes aw
please help?

Last edited by bettybee96; 12-01-2010 at 01:27 PM.
Old 01-11-2011
Registered!!

asianboy781 is a jewel in the roughasianboy781 is a jewel in the roughasianboy781 is a jewel in the roughasianboy781 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by bettybee96
i've got a 96ex (automatic) i just installed a aem short ram intake....... sounds great performs great.....my only problem is that when im cruising at speed and slightly step on the gas not enought to make it drop gears but raise the rpms i get cricket sounding noise but then when i press harder on the gas it goes aw
please help?
u ever whistle with ur lips
same thing with the filter as air get suck in through the mesh screen
i have that noise too at open throttle on my si but it doesnt effect anything
either that its the noise from ur injectors
working its butt off to meet fuel demands of ur engine
Old 01-11-2011
Registered!!

PriceRobby is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a 97 Honda civic EX coupe OHC, and it is making a ticking noise from the motor, its not a rod knock, and it speeds up when the rpm's go up, its not really loud but you can tell its there, any one know what to do or where i can get some info?
Old 01-11-2011
Premium Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

Originally Posted by PriceRobby
I have a 97 Honda civic EX coupe OHC, and it is making a ticking noise from the motor, its not a rod knock, and it speeds up when the rpm's go up, its not really loud but you can tell its there, any one know what to do or where i can get some info?
Wrong thread.
Old 02-21-2011
Registered!!

martin5784 is an unknown quantity at this point
please help!!!! 1999 civic hx

ok i have a 1999 hx, it is throwing a cel code for the IAC valve, i cleaned it and then reset the ECU code came back. got a newer IAC valve replaced old one and reset ECU code came back. i just put a new tps sensor on and a new map sensor. the code keeps coming back for the IAC valve. and idle goes up and down and it makes a funny noise from intake kind of like a blup blup. oh and i checked IAC valve with a battery and it works and i checked plug to the IAC valve it is throwing like 20 volts to the IAC valve, i cant figure out wat is wrong. also every now and then when the code kicks the car jerks as you hit the gas but if you turn the car off then back on it stops. someone please help me
Old 04-03-2011
Registered!!

riboflavin is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello, I am wondering if anyone knows what engine/chassis this intake is made for? I bought it for my d16y8 ek coupe but it is the wrong shape(seller gave me wrong info). It also has one tube sticking out for the pcv hose. Would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	0323011733.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	80585  
Old 04-03-2011
Premium Member

hmm not even sure it would fit most older accords and civics. and it has a weapon-r secret weapon (SW1) filter on it for some reason. not that its bad, thats one of the best intake filters you can buy. just strange it would be on there. i cant think of any honda or acura that shape would fit.
Old 04-09-2011
Registered!!

jim1123us is an unknown quantity at this point

Doing a tune up on my son's 02 civic ex I found what looked like a big ball of string in the air filter. I thought it was probably mice making a nest. My dumb question is: Did this come from the resonator box? What's in that thing???
Old 04-09-2011
Premium Member

should be mostly hollow tubes in there. nothing that can come out. its all plastic.
Old 04-12-2011
Registered!!

Stock_Civic is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry if this has already been asked. I have a 97 honda civic LX manual transmission with the D16y7 and want to swap the intake manifold out with a y8. A few questions that I have about it. Do I need a manual intake or standard intake? Can I go with a B series throttle body? I was hoping to go with a b16a or something similar because it is 60mm in comparison to the 56mm that I have. What else will I need to make sure that I have everything needed with the swap? Also do I need the intake gasket for the IM or the original sized one?
Old 05-16-2011
Registered!!

teahou is an unknown quantity at this point

Someone needs to ask the weekly stupid question, i nominate myself.

Ahem.... I have a 96 civic (not sure yet about all the engine codes) but the TB sits on the middle of the intake manifold, instead of at the end like I am used to seeing. All the after market intakes I have seen that say they fit this car, have the TB attaching at the end. SO, to put an aftermarket intake manifold on my car, do I need to move things around to fit the new config, or am i looking the wrong after market intakes?
Old 05-17-2011
Registered!!

complexconcepts is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone know where's the best place to get the vacuum hose that goes from the intake to the brake booster on a 2000 EX? I went to my local autozone but they couldn't find it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ask your intake questions here!