6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

Couple problems with engine swap 01 engine in 96 EX

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BlkRauderMatt is an unknown quantity at this point
Couple problems with engine swap 01 engine in 96 EX

Hello all,

I recently did an engine swap with an engine I bought off eBay. The engine was advertised as a 96-00 JDM which is why I bought it. I just wanted a direct swap since my girlfriend decided to run the engine in her 96 EX til it overheated and warped the heads/block. (she got it REALLY hot!)

Since I don't know a whole lot about Honda engines, I didn't figure out til after the new engine was in and running that it is actually from a 2001+ Civic and is most likely a 1.7L instead of the 1.6. (Which that surprises me even more that I even got it running!)

But I have a couple leftover wires that have no place to plug into. BUT the MAIN problems are the speedometer is now not working and it's idling weird. It will idle up to 1900 rpm and then drop back down to 1000 over and over. This has me confused, sounds like a sensor of some sort...

I appreciate any help that you guys can throw my way. I'll see if I can at least get a few pictures of the wires that aren't going anywhere later today.. THANKS!!!!!

ETA: I forgot to mention it's an automatic and the idling problem only happens when the car is in neutral or park. Otherwise it's fine in all other gears. I'm also using the original tranny, wiring harness and ECM. Thanks again!!

Last edited by BlkRauderMatt; 03-02-2010 at 10:05 AM.
Old 03-02-2010
Registered!!

98sLicKvIc is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Couple problems with engine swap 01 engine in 96 EX

Oh man. lol. Did you try sending it back or contacting ebay?
Old 03-03-2010
Registered!!

ScottDR will become famous soon enough

You will most likely need the correct ECU for the engine if they have it. The idle problem sounds like it could be the IACV or a vacuum line off.

What is the engine code on your new engine? Is it D17?

Last edited by ScottDR; 03-03-2010 at 07:25 AM.
Old 03-03-2010
Registered!!

LoL.. Don't want to send it back now.. It's already in the car! Didn't figure out it was the wrong engine til it was running and needed to change the oil.. The 96-00 filter wouldn't work so I check out an 01 oil filter.. Exact fit.. I feel dumb about that.. But I'm really a Ford rear-wheel guy lol.. Don't hate me!

Can you tell me where to look for the engine code? It was sold to me as a D16 engine, but I couldn't find a code on it anywhere.. But I have to admit I didn't look too hard for it.. Ya know what they say about hindsight..... My own fault..

Thanks for the help! And I thought getting it in there was enough of a challenge! The funny thing is it runs great!! Just no speedometer and when it's in Park or Neutral it revs like that... For a first timer with a front-wheel engine, I think I did ok...
Old 03-03-2010
Registered!!

civicpapi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BlkRauderMatt
LoL.. Don't want to send it back now.. It's already in the car! Didn't figure out it was the wrong engine til it was running and needed to change the oil.. The 96-00 filter wouldn't work so I check out an 01 oil filter.. Exact fit.. I feel dumb about that.. But I'm really a Ford rear-wheel guy lol.. Don't hate me!

Can you tell me where to look for the engine code? It was sold to me as a D16 engine, but I couldn't find a code on it anywhere.. But I have to admit I didn't look too hard for it.. Ya know what they say about hindsight..... My own fault..

Thanks for the help! And I thought getting it in there was enough of a challenge! The funny thing is it runs great!! Just no speedometer and when it's in Park or Neutral it revs like that... For a first timer with a front-wheel engine, I think I did ok...
I am surprised the engine mounts lined up properly and the rest of the lines like AC other stuff.

Take a pic of the engine and post it, the 01 1.7 is def different looking than the 96's, I know the 01's have ignition modules or something on the spark plugs etc.

If it is a 01 then you will need a computer, but will the harness match up I do not know.
Old 03-03-2010
Registered!!

Matt, there is a plaque area on the side of the block near the transmission (toward the front of the car that will state D16xxxxx or D17xxxx). Civicpapi is right, the d17's have individual coil packs on each plug!
Old 03-03-2010
Registered!!

That's odd... Physically the engine looks about the same. There were slight differences such as the fuel rail having the connection on top rather than on the side, stuff like that.. I just figured it was from a later model, such as a 99-00..

The motor was advertised as a Japanese Domestic Motor... Would that be the difference? And if I truly do need a new computer, would the current one even be running the car like it is? I really don't know, that's why I'm asking..

But literally everything lined up. We even used the old distributor since the wire connection was different.. When we first went to fire it up it just turned over. When we rotated the rotor 180 degrees it fired right up and ran great! Really surprised me and my buddy that was helping..

The best I can muster up is a grainy cell phone picture right now... It's dark here in FL but I'll try to take a better one tomorrow...

Name:  l_983d627d17b34724adf936c5c2509d47.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  25.6 KB
Old 03-04-2010
Registered!!

civicpapi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BlkRauderMatt
That's odd... Physically the engine looks about the same. There were slight differences such as the fuel rail having the connection on top rather than on the side, stuff like that.. I just figured it was from a later model, such as a 99-00..

The motor was advertised as a Japanese Domestic Motor... Would that be the difference? And if I truly do need a new computer, would the current one even be running the car like it is? I really don't know, that's why I'm asking..

But literally everything lined up. We even used the old distributor since the wire connection was different.. When we first went to fire it up it just turned over. When we rotated the rotor 180 degrees it fired right up and ran great! Really surprised me and my buddy that was helping..

The best I can muster up is a grainy cell phone picture right now... It's dark here in FL but I'll try to take a better one tomorrow...

that is not a 01 engine. Maybe it is a JDM engine the computer needs tuning (reflash)or a new one to match.
Old 03-04-2010
Registered!!

Actually it does appear to be a 6G ('96-00) from the picture. Please look for the plaque area stating the exact engine series. Since it's a JDM 6G engine your ECU should be ok and you just need to sort out the running issues.