6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

this always happens......

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ace.i.R is an unknown quantity at this point
this always happens......

Hey guys it seems as though everytime i try to do something good to or for my car something goes wrong. The other day i cleaned my throttle body and it ran better than ever for 30mins, not i get a p0505 which is idle control system, i have a high idle and when the car is fully warm and i let it idle, it goes into like this backup mode and idles at1500 rpms and if i give it just a littlegas it surges almost sounds like a 2 step. and is very jerky to drive. also before it goes into this mode when i free rev it it will rev nice and drop down to 1000 or so and then climb right back up to 1500 and then slowly drop. I have a scanner and all the sensors are ok and reading fine. Whats weird is that when i force the throttle plate down to close more snuggly the idle drops a bit? Any suggestions i was thinking to take the throttle body off and clean it a little better but could it be that the throttle plate is not sealing now that ive removed all the carbon and stuff around it? it would explain the idle drop. Any suggestions are awsome. Cheers!!
Old 01-15-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang
Re: this always happens......

Do an idle relearn!
Old 01-15-2010
Registered!!

Like reset the ecu? Ive tried that with no luck.
Old 01-15-2010
Premium Member

TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

Make sure all electronics are off, start the car, go for a short drive to warm the engine, turn the car off. Turn it back on and let it idle for 10 mins with everyhting off: radio, lights, amps. After 10 mins, turn it off. Now your idle is reset.

If that doesnt work, then you have an issue with the TB, prob was put on incorrectly or you tweaked something in the process of putting it back on.
Old 01-16-2010
Registered!!

I found the screw for the adjustment for the throttle plate and i tweaked with it a little bit. took me like 6 tries but i got it pretty good now. Ill be able to tell on the way to work tomorow but for now everyhting seems ok.
Old 01-16-2010
Premium Member

Sweet. So was it just the butterfly plate that was slightly misaligned?
Old 01-16-2010
Registered!!

dagua002 is an unknown quantity at this point

the samething happened to my car. p0505 idle control system, is the Idle Air Control Valve (IAC) its faulty. maybe its dirty and cleaning it might fix the problem but replacing it will fix it for sure.
Old 01-18-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by TRIZ
Sweet. So was it just the butterfly plate that was slightly misaligned?
Yeah im guessing after i cleaned the TB i cleared all the soot and carbon around the plate and it didnt seal anymore. So this did the trick its been off for 2 days. And Dagua002 i wouldnt replace my idle air control valve so soon becasue p0505 is idle air control system not valve. I cleaned my valve like 3 times with the same code and no difference. I would do some testing before i replace a expensive part.
Old 01-18-2010
Premium Member

If anyone needs a throttle body with all the sensors I got one up for sale-CHEAP. Worked 100% when it was pulled.

-01-05 EX throttle body with sensors- $50/make an offer (or pay $200 brand new from honda)

Link to partout thread in sig.
Old 01-19-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ace.i.R
Yeah im guessing after i cleaned the TB i cleared all the soot and carbon around the plate and it didnt seal anymore. So this did the trick its been off for 2 days. And Dagua002 i wouldnt replace my idle air control valve so soon becasue p0505 is idle air control system not valve. I cleaned my valve like 3 times with the same code and no difference. I would do some testing before i replace a expensive part.
after cleaning the TB has it been off since? i still haven't fixed my car and i'm trying to get different opinions about my problem.
Old 01-19-2010
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

you guys may also want to lube the throttle lever and part of the cable showing. sometimes gunk builds up and slows down reaction time. but thats only for gas pedal action, not iac control.
Old 01-19-2010
Registered!!

what about for the iac? thats what i've been told is the problem. my car chokes up and feels like its going to turn off but doesn't. what would be the solution for that?
Old 01-19-2010
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

take it off and spray carb cleaner inside to remove all the carbon. its the piece bolted to the throttle body with the two coolant hoses going into it.