6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

98 ex overheating

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
COSMOE CRAMER is an unknown quantity at this point
98 ex overheating

I have been having a constant problem with my civic overheating. I changed the thermostat, and the radiator once I noticed that it had a crack about 6 months ago. About a month and a half ago I noticed while I was driving to work that it was overheating again. So I pulled into the nearest gas station to investigate, and notice a rust colored build up in the filling neck of the raidator. That weekend i flushed the system, and put waterpump lubricant in the radiator. The next week i was overheating again, so I flushed the system again this time with a granular flush kit. The engine was running fine until this week on monday when the check engine light came on, I had a misfire in cylinder, and ignition. I changed the plugs and wires 7 months ago, and I know I should have done the cap and rotor as well, but with the economy I could not afford. Yesterday as I was driving home from work my engine started overheating again. When I woke up today to get my cap and rotor in hopes that it would solve my misfire problem I checked my overfill and radiator and they were both dry. I filled the radiator and overfill with antifreeze, and drove to my parents house to change the cap and rotor. While i was almost there my car was overheating again. Once again i checked the overfill and radiator, and dry again. Can anyone help this is the first Civic i have owned, and never once had a problem with my Toyota Pickup.
Old 12-05-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 98 ex overheating

sounds like a headgasket leak, youre burning coolant in the engine and thats also causing misfires.
Old 12-05-2009
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

Thats like 99% chance of a headgasket. Buy one of those O2 combustion testers and see if you are getting emissions inside your coolant.
Old 12-16-2009
Registered!!

So if the head gasket is my problem will just getting a new one fix the problem, or is there more I need to do?
Old 12-17-2009
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

usually the head needs to be inspected, because if its warped (from overheating) and you just replace the gasket, it will fail again. take the head to a machine shop and say you want the works (cleaning, prep, test compression, examine for warpage and possibly mill it flat, etc).
Old 12-17-2009
Registered!!

I have contacted a few mechanics and they said to look at my oil to see if it is a milky color, and if so that would indicate a blown head gasket. So I started the car and let it run for a few minutes and then turn off and let it settle for a bit. I checked the oil and it looks fine. Could I possibly have a water pump malfunction?
Old 12-17-2009
Registered!!

I also noticed that my fan switch is not working as well in the system.
Old 12-17-2009
Premium Member

cooling fan fail by itself usually wont cause overheating, it hardly ever comes on except on really hot days sitting in traffic. water pump is kinda hard to fail, it turns from the motor and almost never siezes up. you might also have clogged radiator. but it you are having misfires, its usually from some coolant leaking into the cylinders.
Old 12-22-2009
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

If your water pump doesn't leak then its more then likely not your water pump. Those fins really dont break down that easy.

Misfires means that your getting coolant in your cylinders not necessarily oil in your coolant.

Its a two way street depending on where your gasket leaks. I have first hand experience with this. My head gasket was blown and my oil never got coolant in it. However I got emissions gas in my coolant causing me to overheat.

Emission gases are hot which raises your coolant temperature, and also creates air pockets causing you to overheat and misfire because coolant gets in your combustion chamber and mixes with fuel.

Do yourself a favor, go to the mechanic and ask for a "combustion test" done on your coolant. My mechanic didn't even charge me to have it done, but it cant cost more then $20 tops. They will know what your talking about. If it checks out positive you head gasket is blown.

Trust me I have been through all this ****.

Last edited by 04 Honda Civic; 12-22-2009 at 02:16 AM.
Old 12-22-2009
Registered!!

bnikanor is an unknown quantity at this point

if only head gasket you can just replace it with the help of experienced mechanic.

but, you need to inspect the cylinder head also (if needed) they also require to be re-machining. oil color turn to white indicates that the oil is mixed up with coolant. but also do this, let the engine cool down, start the engine. open your radiator cap, see if the radiator water is 'kicking' back like a bubble. if you see this, sorry my friend, you have a leaked compression.

about the fan is not working, if you live in a place that have hot ambient temp, of course it can cause overheat. i wouldn't recommend to remove your thermostat though, they are there to keep the engine in a 'correct' temperature. hope to get your civic working normally again.
Old 01-21-2010
Registered!!

ibsmitty is an unknown quantity at this point

I have had two Civics that did this and it was the water pump both times. One time I had to change the head gasket because the overheating caused it to start leaking the engine compression into the coolant system.
Old 01-22-2010
Registered!!

civicpapi is an unknown quantity at this point

What year and model civic?

A few things head gasket is one common area. Run the car and check the tail pipe, any white smoke coming out?

Just a thought, prob won't work, but have you had your radiator cap pressure checked, it is cheap try replacing it.

As other said could be water pump, ever changed?