6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

Need some suggestions...

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OCDjG will become famous soon enough
Need some suggestions...

Hey what up. OK so here's the deal... In about 1-2 months from now I plan on getting a new ride, a 2007 or 08 Dodge Magnum r/t. Once I get my new ride I'll be selling my blue beast, the 98 Civic LX. However if for some reason I don't get my Mag, or I can't find it which is what I'm seeing, then I'll probably keep the Civic for a while longer (6 months to a year maybe).

Now if I keep this ride I may pour some money into it. Currently I have the following;

Body-
*Mugen style lip, custom rear lip, "type r" mesh grill
*16" Motegi Wheels, gunmetal finish
*Black housed headlights
*Black housed taillights
*Light blue paint job (crappy job imo though)

Engine-
*Cheap autozone intake attached to the stock plastic air filter box (yes I took out the stock filter)
*Eibach strut tower

So pretty much I'm stock minus those items mentioned above. Body wise I'm happy with the way she looks minus the paint job. Engine wise, I'm not a fan. After driving a modified 2002 Honda Accord (oh how I miss her ), the driving experience of the Civic just sucks for a lack of a better word.

So now on to the point. If I keep this car for a minimum 6 months, without getting nos, what is the easiest and most cost effective (not cheapest, cost effective, there is a difference!) way to pep up this engine? By the way I got 150,000 miles on the original engine, and I maintained it pretty good imo. Plus its an auto tranny which with my commute I do not want to get rid of. With that info is it even worth it too?

OK discuss

Last edited by OCDjG; 09-14-2009 at 10:58 AM.
Old 09-14-2009
Registered!!

Update from old thread

Here is a link to the old thread...
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...some-help.html

Anyhow just to let whoever is curious or searching for info here are a few things I did to the car so far since that last post.

1. Headlight issue: I was right about the sockets being bad. Well at least the passenger side socket was. Also the wiring was completely screwed. So I went to Autozone and picked up a pair of new sockets to replace the old damaged one. Anyone needing to do this be prepared for mis-matched colors! The new sockets had a red wire, green wire, and black wire. The Civic's stock wiring has a black wire, a red/white wire and a red/blue wire . Here is a quick snapshot of what you need to do;

New Socket wiring - Stock Wiring
Black - Black
Green - Red/white
Red - Red/blue

After soldering up the new wiring then sealing my work with shrink tube the lights worked flawlessly. Oh and I needed to replace my highbeam fuse too which is located under the steering wheel column.

2. Sluggish drive & mps: So I found out that the intake was not on properly on. It was loose basically. So I tightened it back up to eliminate any air leaks. After that I performed the seafoam treatment & oil change. I noticed a smoother ride and slightly better mpgs after the treatment. I also replaced the front brake pads. The old ones were worn down pretty bad. Car is driving pretty good now, slow but good .
Old 09-14-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Need some suggestions...

keep the civic and fix it up
Old 09-15-2009
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
keep the civic and fix it up
OK but why and how?

I did a lot of digging around and it seems maybe adding a supercharger to my D16y7 would be my best bet. Anyone do this to their car (i.e. stock auto tranny d16y7 w/supercharger)?

Last edited by OCDjG; 09-15-2009 at 09:24 AM.
Old 09-15-2009
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

no keep the engine mostly stock and just fix up the overall condition and exterior-make it look nice
Old 09-16-2009
Registered!!

no keep the engine mostly stock and just fix up the overall condition and exterior-make it look nice
I need to post some pics of the car so you can see what I'm working with here...I'll do that later actually.

Anyhow to bring the exterior back to my standards it will require a few things;
1. A drop. The stock height is just comical imo. Also the shocks on there now are the original ones and I'm pretty sure their days are numbered. So getting some new springs (Eibach most likely) and a set of shocks seems logical and needed.

2. Paint & body. I got a "custom" blue paint job on there now, but its from Earl Sheib
IMO, its horrendous. To add my front bumper and lip are not painted (got them on after the paint job), aaand the side moldings, mirrors and license plate frame are also unpainted. So a new coat of paint from a reputable shop is needed. Blue would not be the color I'd go with. Instead I'd probably opt for a graphite silver or gunmetal color scheme. For the body, its in good shape minus a sagging rear corner and a bunch of little dings scattered throughout the car.

Then there's the interior. More on that later.
Old 09-16-2009
Premium Member

eibach springs (prokit or sportline) and tokicos would be good for a nice drop but still driveable. for the paint, try to strip and sand the entire car down, then prime it, then sand it again til its smooth, then take it in to one of those cheap paint places. all they will do is spray the paint on and clear coat it which is the easiest part. most place charge so much because of the prep work. but if you diy, then youll save a ton.
Old 09-17-2009
Registered!!

As promised here are some pics...excuse the quality they are camera phone pics...
Name:  civic1.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  25.8 KB
Name:  civic.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  24.3 KB

eibach springs (prokit or sportline) and tokicos would be good for a nice drop but still driveable. for the paint, try to strip and sand the entire car down, then prime it, then sand it again til its smooth, then take it in to one of those cheap paint places. all they will do is spray the paint on and clear coat it which is the easiest part. most place charge so much because of the prep work. but if you diy, then youll save a ton.
Yeah the eibach sportline/tokicos setup would be the one I'd go with. As for the paint, yeah I could diy to save me some cash. But at the end of the day I'll still be driving a 106hp slug. I care more about the performance than the looks and if I do keep her I'd rather focus on the engine first, then dress it up afterwards. I'm not trying to race anybody, I just hate getting stared down by grandma's on the freeway.

Last edited by OCDjG; 09-17-2009 at 09:26 AM.
Old 04-11-2010
Registered!!

Jtay is an unknown quantity at this point

I got a 2007 honda civic 2 door and im looking for really good blue headlights and day lights. Anyone have any suggestions? In some canadien local store?
Old 04-12-2010
Registered!!

dnice78 is an unknown quantity at this point

From the dead...^ Nokya