6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

Lurching forward/backward when gas applied/lifted

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
loadedmind is an unknown quantity at this point
Lurching forward/backward when gas applied/lifted

Hey all. Specs of car in sig. Just recently, I noticed my check engine light came on. After work today, I'll run by Autozone and have them OBD it to hopefully get a clearer picture, then post the results here.

While I'm in gear at speed (doesn't matter which gear or how fast), if I let off the gas, the car seems to lurch and the same holds true for applying gas. Once, while at idle, as I engaged 1st to take off, gently, I could hear the idle rev up and down around 200-400 RPM's fast, then it stopped doing that.

I searched the forums to see if others experienced similar issues and not seeing much. As I think about what might be happening under the hood, it's almost as if the clutch springs might need adjustment perhaps. I have the basic set of tools but I'm not afraid to work on it as I have a motorcycle for the sunny days.

I have an extremely good mechanic - he's a good distance away from my house and, like most others, he's not cheap, but at least he knows his stuff. I'm one of those that will exercise all options before taking it to him, but this sounds like it might call for the more advanced tools.

Thanks in advance for any/all help,
John
Old 09-02-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Lurching forward/backward when gas applied/lifted

find out what check engine light is on for first
Old 09-03-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
loadedmind is an unknown quantity at this point

OBD reader said P0505. Guy at Advance Auto had a Prelude but was new to working on Hondas like I was. He said based on my symptoms and the code, he thinks I'll be good by simply cleaning the IAC. Anyone happen to have a diagram map of parts under the hood before I have to fork out money for the Chiltons? I'm thinking the IAC is the small piece secured by plastic tabs about middle of the engine just to the left a bit.
Old 09-03-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

iac is bolted on or near the throttle body and has coolant lines feeding into it. so if you take the hoses off and some coolant spills out, you found the iac lol. loosen your radiator cap first to relieve pressure.