6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

driver's side power window

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bxd20 is an unknown quantity at this point
driver's side power window

2000 Civic LX 4 door.

Driver's window has been slow to go up, and getting slower. Part from dealer is about $200. Motor and regulator, only sold together.

I see the motor & regulator on Ebay for $50.
Any experience with these?

As far as the replacement goes, can I make the job quicker by only replacing the motor from the new assembly? (I haven't opened the door yet to look at it.)

Are there any tricks to the job? Should I start with the window up or down?

Any other tips?

Thanks
Brian
Old 03-15-2009
Registered!!

IcApstoneI is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: driver's side power window

Ive had the same issue for about 2 years with my '00 Si. The drivers window makes an obnoxious noise and falls off track a lot, therefore it wont roll up all the way. The passenger side is just weak.

Ive heard that there is a bad part that has been fixed for these year models, but im not sure if its the regulator or what??

Im sick and tired of it doing this and I want to fix it once and for all. Can anyone help with this? I need to know what part is actually causing this and how much I can expect to pay. Thanks.
Old 03-16-2009
Registered!!

shadymechanic is an unknown quantity at this point

I have had my civic for 12 years -1996 179K. My experience has been that it is the rubber guide which either binds with the window or rubber wears its slick coating. Replace rubber window guide or use white lithium grease. Apply lithium grease (spray if you wish)to the inside rubber window guide with a Qtip and see if that works. Wipe off all excess grease with cleaning solution. Be careful not to touch the interior with the grease on your fingers. It works for me. Just reapply every few months.

I KNOW THE FEELING
I have had to replace my drivers side rubber window guide 3 times in 8 years. I finally gave up and started using grease - it saves me about 150$. My car has has been in the shop 6X for power window trouble in 5 years. My rear right just slipped of the regulator mechanism - loose screws. You going to have to open it up and look - best option. You'll see where it's not working- easy to spot. My power window on my driver's side now rocks back and forth - I'm opting for retirement. This is getting expensive.
Old 03-16-2009
Registered!!

bxd20 is an unknown quantity at this point

I tried white lithium grease. I rolled the window all the way down, attached the thin red tube to the spray nozzle and sprayed generously into the channel. Ran it up and down a few times, didn't seem to help at all. So I'm guessing it's the motor and not the rubber guide.

Not sure if it's easier to swap the motor from the new assembly, or if I'm stuck doing the regulator as well. Might be worth swapping the whole thing.
Old 03-16-2009
Registered!!

Sorry, man, It was worth a try. It always worked for me. The whole unit might be riveted together. If not then it's worth changing what you need and selling the other piece for some of the cash back. Good Luck. Take the panel off and look for obvious binding (flashlight and mirror) before you change it. Window might have to come out, first, so that it doesn't fall on your fingers or shatter.
Old 03-17-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

my window has a bad squeaking when its rolling up too in addition to being slow.
Old 03-17-2009
Registered!!

Check seals at teh aft of the window first.
Old 03-17-2009
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

yeah all the seals look fine, i even lubed the track and it didnt help. on top of that i have a nasty rattle from the driver panel, when i push on it it goes away. im ready to open it up and stuff a bunch of towels inside lol.
Old 03-18-2009
Premium Member

wow great news everyone! all my windows are rolling up/down normally and the driver side squeaking sound is completely gone! so the first time i had lubed the tracks by spraying a paper towel and then shoving it in the track. well i guess this lubed the sides but not the back cause it wouldnt shove that much. i noticed a tiny improvement but still had squeak. so today i went nuts and sprayed lube all over inside the channels (above the door panel only). i put a paper towel at the bottom so excess lube doesnt run off into the panel or on my tinted windows. i let it sit for maybe 10 mins until mostly dry, then rolled the windows up and down a few times. i also cleaned both sides of the windows and that helped make the glass smoother too. in the end, they are gliding no problem without annoying squeaks. i did not use the lithium grease cause its supposed to be for metals and can get messy, so instead i used silicone spray which is clear and will actually dry without leaving residue. i had some marine dry lube which is better, but it dries with a white haze. so yeah def look into lubing those window tracks. i wanted to do the bottom under the door panel too but its a big hassle to take all that stuff out (and dynamat) so im not doing it esp since its problem solved already. yay! im sure the sounds will come back over time but at least i know how to deal with it. i think its just super dusty around here.

Last edited by gearbox; 03-18-2009 at 08:16 PM.
Old 03-19-2009
Registered!!

I'm happy it worked out!