6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

New member, ? about skunk2 manifold on D16Y7

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
alec_b is an unknown quantity at this point
New member, ? about skunk2 manifold on D16Y7

Hi all-

You guys seem to have one of the biggest civic forums out there, so i'll give this a shot.

My and my buddy tried installing a skunk2 intake manifold on his '97 dx coupe today, but we're having trouble. We got everything pretty much hooked up, with a little creativity, but there's a problem.

The car will start and run just fine, but you can't really give it much throttle. If you SLOWLY add throttle, it will rev fine, but if you punch it it falls flat. It seems like it's starving for fuel.

The car ran perfect before, could this have something to do with the fact that the skunk2 is designed for a D16Y8, on an EX, and really isn't meant to be used on a Y7?

Thanks a lot guys!
Old 03-02-2008
Registered!!

sql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of light
Re: New member, ? about skunk2 manifold on D16Y7

Other than VTEC and higher flowing injectors there isn't much difference between the Y7 and Y8 long block. VTEC kicks in at 5400rpm and also long as you didn't swap ECUs your injectors should work fine. There's no difference between the IM mating surfaces of the Y7 vs Y8 but I suspect you have a vacuum leak somewhere. Did you use a new IM and TB gasket? Did you replace the injector o-rings?
Old 03-16-2008
Registered!!

zip180 is an unknown quantity at this point

i have a 96 ex d16y8 that is doing the same thing. ive checked for vacuum leaks and im pretty sure there are none.

one thing that is confusing me though is the iacv sensor was located on the stock tb, and the skunk2 tb that came with my intake manifold doesnt have a spot for it. there is a spot on the back of the im though for the other style.

i called skunk2 and they told me to screw a metal plate on the intake where the iacv goes; saying this motor doesnt need it??????

could this be why im having that problem?
Old 03-17-2008
Registered!!

sql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of light

On a D16Y8 the IACV is located on the back of the IM. It doesn't make sense why yours is on the the TB unless it's an automatic?

Skunk is wrong though, you do need an IACV in some form or another if you're using an OEM ECU.
Old 03-18-2008
Registered!!

thanks i thought that sounded kinda funny. i forgot to mention i do have an automatic; i wish i would have gotten the manual .

is it possible to take an IACV off of a manual and put it on there?
Old 03-19-2008
Registered!!

Yes it is possible to put a manual IACV on the back of the Y8 IM but then you should also use a different TB. But it sounds like you're using the TB from your D16Y7 which has the IACV built into it. I'm also assuming you've run coolant lines through it and rigged the throttle cable and rotor somehow so that you can use the accelerator properly. So if all of this is rigged up properly then all you need to do is mount the IACV to the Skunk, run coolant lines through it and wire it up.
Old 03-19-2008
Registered!!

i replaced the injector seals and did some adjustments on the TB adjuster screw. seems to work fine now, just a little boggy at first. im going to put the IACV on it and call it good. hopefully it helps the boggy part a little bit.

oh and i do have both the skunk IM and TB.

thanks a lot for the help.