6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

97 ex clutch slipping. how do you adjust?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quinc is an unknown quantity at this point
97 ex clutch slipping. how do you adjust?

My girlfriends clutch isn't grabbing as much as it should and of course it happened while i was driving. anyway i was hoping someone might be able to tell me how to adjust the clutch? or if there might be something else i should trouble shoot? driving it the rpms will go up alot and your speed will slowly increase. i might be wrong but i'm pretty sure its the clutch, any help would be very appreciated.
Thank you!
Old 02-20-2008
Registered!!

HighBoost is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 97 ex clutch slipping. how do you adjust?

cluth wear out. need a new clutch.
Old 02-20-2008
Registered!!

Quinc is an unknown quantity at this point

is it possible to adjust them?
Old 02-22-2008
Registered!!

sql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of light

No , your clutch is hydrolic so as it wears more fluid is pumps to the clutch cylinder much like a disc brake system. Sounds like you just need a new clutch.
Old 03-01-2008
Registered!!

97civicb18c1 is an unknown quantity at this point

it does sound like your clutch is going out but there is one way you could adjust it and it might help for a little bit. If you go inside the car and look at the linkage between the clutch pedal and the clutch master cylinder it is a threaded rod that screws into the pedal, there is also a peg with a cotter pin above that for a pivot point for the pedal...Take the cotter pin out and the peg then adjust that rod connected to the clutch master cylinder. If you screw it in the clutch wont pull out as far when you push the pedal down and it will grab harder when you pull the clutch out just play with that and see if it helps..when your done there is an adjustable bump stop that the pedal hits when its not depressed, adjust that until it hits the pedal so your pedal doesnt have "play" in it.

If all that doesnt work then you need a new clutch, no other way out.
Old 03-01-2008
7th gen old timer.
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

CivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond repute

its the clutch. all adjusting the pedal is going to do is make the unenguagment (pedal pressed down, clutch is free)tighter not the engagement(clutch pedal is up).

when the pedal is up(not pressing it in gear) thats all you can get. the only adjustment you could make it when the pedal catches closer to the floor or closer to the top. i hope that makes sense i tried to make it as easy to understand as i could.
Old 03-02-2008
Registered!!

sql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of light

Another thought, be sure that you have enough fluid in your clutch master cylinder reservoir.
Old 07-16-2009
Registered!!

smithj is an unknown quantity at this point

just out of curiositty what does the pedal have to do with the clutch grabbing or not grabbing. if the pedal is out and the clutch is good then it should grab. now if the pedal was out of adjustment then when you went to move the car would grind into gear or it wouldn't go in at all.
Old 07-18-2009
Registered!!

Fanatic4Christ is an unknown quantity at this point

you need a new clutch.. if you have some tool's it's not that hard, unscrew all the stuff and take out the axel's.. i changed my clutch twice in one day (over looked it and put it in backwards LOL) but it took me like 6-7 hours the first time to install and re-install everything to running condition then the 2nd time (RIGHT after) took me 2-3 hours in and out =D i can do it even faster if i was to do it again haha i'd say 1 hour and 45 mins!!!!!!!!!! haha but you can't adjust it just just swap it out.. new clutch? 100 bux from a autopart store... OR cheaper online... ALSO you MIGHT need a new flywheel... i know i put in my clutch and i need a new fly wheel and like yeah i dident have the money and now when i take off sometimes my tires kinda jump jump jump like grip grip grip like weird i dunno how to explain it.. makes my car jump alot though.. haha so CHECK THAT FLYWHEEL WHILE YOUR AT IT and i recommend you do this yourself.... with someone that knows how to do it or if you do still have a friend or relative help you out...
Old 06-27-2017
Registered!!

Bigred1957 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by CivicHatch9one
its the clutch. all adjusting the pedal is going to do is make the unenguagment (pedal pressed down, clutch is free)tighter not the engagement(clutch pedal is up).

when the pedal is up(not pressing it in gear) thats all you can get. the only adjustment you could make it when the pedal catches closer to the floor or closer to the top. i hope that makes sense i tried to make it as easy to understand as i could.
Not if the clutch is adjusted too tight previously! Happened to me on a customer's car once. Wouldn't admit he messed with it and burned out his clutch. So there definitely are cons to attempting to "get a few more miles" out of a bad clutch. Much more expensive in the long run, better to just replace the clutch.