6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

HELP!!!!! crankshaft bolt

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DX5spd is an unknown quantity at this point
HELP!!!!! crankshaft bolt

I need advice on how to get the bolt off the crankshaft pulley i dont have any power tools or air tools to remove it so i need to know how i can remove it and if it needs to be turned to the left to loosen or if its gotta be turned to the right to loosen it
Old 01-12-2008
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
reddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to all
Re: HELP!!!!! crankshaft bolt

Originally Posted by DX5spd
I need advice on how to get the bolt off the crankshaft pulley i dont have any power tools or air tools to remove it so i need to know how i can remove it and if it needs to be turned to the left to loosen or if its gotta be turned to the right to loosen it

Search function is your friend. This has been discussed before. The bolt turns normally (Lefty-loosey - righty-tighty). You need the crank pulley holder tool (Or a screwdriver in the flywheel) and a big *** breaker and cheater bar.

Here's my Timing Belt DIY with pictures of the tool and a link to video of it in action.
Old 09-09-2010
Registered!!

lortech is an unknown quantity at this point

Well dam! I thought using the starter to loosen the bolt would work but no! the starter turns counterclockwise! That means, I was tighting the bolt, not loosening it with the starter! Shees! Anyway, some one is loaning me a snapon ct4850 cordless impact to get it off. Hopefully it will work. Now, because some one broke into my work truck and took my pully puller, I may have to rent/buy one. How often can one pull it off by hand? I did one will little problem.
Old 11-27-2010
Registered!!

johnwfranks is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DX5spd
http://www.johnwfranks.com/how%20to%...ft%20bolt.html

This did it for me........
Old 11-27-2010
Registered!!

johnwfranks is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: HELP!!!!! crankshaft bolt

Originally Posted by reddawnman
Search function is your friend. This has been discussed before. The bolt turns normally (Lefty-loosey - righty-tighty). You need the crank pulley holder tool (Or a screwdriver in the flywheel) and a big *** breaker and cheater bar.

Here's my Timing Belt DIY with pictures of the tool and a link to video of it in action.
Screw driver will break your lower cover possibly....Try this method.

http://www.johnwfranks.com/how%20to%...ft%20bolt.html

This did it for me........
Old 09-21-2013
Registered!!

saujad is an unknown quantity at this point

We were able to hold our crankshaft by putting a allen head wrench in one of the small holes in our pulley and wedging the other end on the body of the car. Much to our surprise it held and the bolt loosen with our breaker bar.
Did the same in opposite direction to re-tighten the bolt.
Old 08-08-2016
Registered!!

mscir is an unknown quantity at this point

How long does the extension shaft have to be to use a breaker bar to get the crank bolt off?

And do you guys use any cleaner on the pulleys and tensioner to get them all super clean before installing the belt?

Last edited by mscir; 08-08-2016 at 09:31 PM.
Old 08-08-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mscir
How long does the extension shaft have to be to use a breaker bar to get the crank bolt off?
You need enough length to get the breaker bar and cheater pipe out past the fender. Measure from the crank bolt to the outside of the fender. You need a little more than that to clear the fender and not hit anything.

Set it up and use a tape measure?
In half-inch drive, commonly found lengths might be 3", 6", 12", 24"

And do you guys use any cleaner on the pulleys and tensioner to get them all super clean before installing the belt?
Timing pulley should already be clean, I don't normally need to mess with it unless I get something on it, like changing the water pump can get antifreeze on it, for example.
Old 08-08-2016
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

This is what I used:

Name:  IMG_1121_zps98525277.jpg
Views: 4352
Size:  331.5 KB

I think it was a 12" and 6" and rested it on a jack stand. Also used a 6ft iron pipe as a breaker bar.
Old 08-09-2016
Registered!!

Nice setup, thanks for the comments guys!
I found a great price on 1/2" socket extensions on ebay, 4 pcs: 3" 5" 8" 10" for $11.06
http://www.ebay.com/itm/400851762692

Last edited by mscir; 08-12-2016 at 12:46 AM.
Old 08-23-2016
Registered!!

ON 2nd thought don't buy these socket extensions, I tried getting the crank bolt off with them and they twisted! I guess you get what you pay for, lol.
Old 08-23-2016

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

ON 2nd thought don't buy these socket extensions, I tried getting the crank bolt off with them and they twisted! I guess you get what you pay for, lol.
You don't have a Sears near you? I'd hope Craftsman should be good enough. Get impact type if they have it.
Old 08-24-2016
Prelude Owner

GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ezone
Get impact type if they have it.
Yes!

I got impact ones from Autozone. I did break a none impact one and took it back to AZ and they replaced it for free. I got the impact one instead and it did a lot better!
Old 08-24-2016
Registered!!

Thanks ezone and GolNat, a buddy is letting me borrow his impact driver.

A question for you guys, the manual I downloaded says not to use an impact driver to tighten the bolt, you torque it to a specific amount then turn it 90 degress more. Did any of you just mark it then use an impact driver to get the 90 degrees tightening? Did they say that because the ID can hurt the engine or were they concerned about overtorquing?
Old 08-24-2016

a buddy is letting me borrow his impact driver.
A homeowner gun may not have the nads needed for some of this stuff.
you torque it to a specific amount then turn it 90 degress more.
This sounds correct (from memory here), and this is exactly what I do. Torque to the spec in the manual then tighten additional 90 degrees. Or whatever it says to do.
Old 08-24-2016
Prelude Owner

a buddy is letting me borrow his impact driver.
It's worth a shot but like ezon said I don't think it will be enough. I borrowed a buddies electric (I think rated at 250-300 lb•ft) and it wouldn't budge. I had a 6' pipe (that's a lot of leverage) and it still took effort. I thought I broke something when it finally loosened up.

Don't use impact for tightening it. I would mark it once torqued and then do the 90 degrees like it says.

**Also do you have the tool to hold the crank pulley? I know people do it without but I messed around with other methods and finally just got all the right tools and had no issues.

Last edited by GolNat; 08-24-2016 at 11:14 PM.
Old 08-24-2016

Originally Posted by GolNat
It's worth a shot but like ezon said I don't think it will be enough.
A homeowner gun may not have the nads needed for some of this stuff.
Ya, I've got a Ingersol-Rand 1/2" ungodly high torque Gladiator Gun, our shop air pressure goes up to 175 PSI, and this gun can't remove some of the crank pulley bolts...... especially on the V6 engines that have never been taken apart.

I got a powersocket (weighted socket) that increases applied impact torque by up to 50% and it's absolutely incredible how well it works. Removes damn near every crank bolt with no hesitation now.
Old 08-25-2016
Registered!!

Yes!
I got impact ones from Autozone. I did break a none impact one and took it back to AZ and they replaced it for free. I got the impact one instead and it did a lot better!
Is this the part you bought from Autozone?
http://www.autozone.com/ratchets-soc...et/390933_0_0/
They don't list a torque rating on their web page. If it worked for you then it may work for me, lol.
Old 08-25-2016
Registered!!

<snip>
Don't use impact for tightening it. I would mark it once torqued and then do the 90 degrees like it says.
**Also do you have the tool to hold the crank pulley? I know people do it without but I messed around with other methods and finally just got all the right tools and had no issues.
Yeah, better safe than sorry, good advice. Yes I bought the tool to hold the crank pulley stationary, now just have to find an extension that won't twist.
Thanks.
Old 08-26-2016
Prelude Owner

Ya, I've got a Ingersol-Rand 1/2" ungodly high torque Gladiator Gun, our shop air pressure goes up to 175 PSI, and this gun can't remove some of the crank pulley bolts...... especially on the V6 engines that have never been taken apart.
That is a crazy amount of torque!! I am sure 3/4" drives would probably help a lot but they a so expensive!

I got a powersocket (weighted socket) that increases applied impact torque by up to 50% and it's absolutely incredible how well it works. Removes damn near every crank bolt with no hesitation now.
I remember you posting a video of a guy using one. That was a bad *** socket and a priceless investment for someone who does it all the time.

Is this the part you bought from Autozone?
http://www.autozone.com/ratchets-soc...et/390933_0_0/
They don't list a torque rating on their web page. If it worked for you then it may work for me, lol.
That looks about right except it doesn't specify that it's impact rated. I just grabbed whatever they had in the store. Pep Boys, Home Depot, Lowe's, Sears would all have what you need. It's all made by the same few manufactures over seas and will do just fine for what you need.
Old 08-26-2016
Registered!!

Found em, impact rated, going to pick up today... yeeha
http://www.autozone.com/ratchets-soc...et/914182_0_0/

Used em... Thanks GolNat! These worked great. My buddy's 135lb compressor & impact driver didn't budge the nut. Duralast rocks! Used a 4' hydraulic floor jack handle on the breaker bar and the nut broke loose with a loud crack, just like you I started looking for something broken lol, and as you said, Duralast has a lifetime warranty. Great tools, thanks again for the referral.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	duralast.jpg
Views:	444
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	89047  

Last edited by mscir; 08-26-2016 at 08:36 PM.
Old 08-26-2016
Prelude Owner

That's the set I bought.

Lol, it's a scary sound when she breaks loose!!

Awesome, glad it worked
Old 08-30-2016
Registered!!

Thanks GolNat and everybody who commented, got the car back together today, my first timing belt, it's running great, I appreciate all of the great help. Best forum ever.
Old 09-06-2016
Registered!!

EthanJM is an unknown quantity at this point

Did my timing belt a few months ago, mine was incredibly tight. Mechanic tried a 3/8ths impact wrench, didn't work. They called a neighboring semi tire shop/mechanic and told them I was coming, I get there, they try their 3/8ths, didn't work. They step it up to their 1/2", still didn't work. So they bring out their 1" impact, they ask for my permission to continue because by now there is a good chance the bolt is just going to snap, I reluctantly agree and cross my fingers, and bam the thing broke loose. I see no way anyone could have broken that loose with the special tool, seriously he was trying with the 1/2" for a long time before giving up. Basically I learned this bolt can get stupid seized under the right circumstances, whatever those circumstances are.
Old 09-06-2016

I see no way anyone could have broken that loose with the special tool,
That's all we had for years and years.

The tool, a great quality socket and breaker bar, and a bigass bowl of Wheaties for breakfast.

Oh, and a cheater pipe or floor jack handle helped a lot if you forgot your Wheaties.
Old 09-06-2016
Registered!!

If you put a 4' floor jack handle on the breaker bar and put 100 lbs of force on it, that's 400 ft-lbs of torque you're delivering to the bolt. That seems sufficient to break loose even tightly torqued bolts.
Old 09-06-2016
Prelude Owner

If you put a 4' floor jack handle on the breaker bar and put 100 lbs of force on it, that's 400 ft-lbs of torque you're delivering to the bolt. That seems sufficient to break loose even tightly torqued bolts.
You would think. I used a 6' bar and probably most of my weight so:

6 x 150 = 900!! That was attempt 2 or 3 with impacts beating on it before and PB Blaster on it.
Old 09-06-2016
Registered!!

Damn! I stand corrected.
Old 09-06-2016

Breakaway torque is almost always far higher than the initial tightening torque.
Old 09-06-2016
Registered!!

I see, that's why the initial, very disconcerting "snap" when it breaks loose. That really rattled my nerves, I thought I was going to have to buy a 3/4" breaker bar when I heard that, lol.