6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

Suspension Upgrade, suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Xentius is an unknown quantity at this point
Suspension Upgrade, suggestions?

I'm currently on a 99 DX coupe with a B16 swap, been running on stock suspension. Last month I hit a curb going at 50 and bent one of my front struts pretty badly. My mechanic said I'll need to replace to entire right assembly, and replacing it with used stock parts cost 300+, so I'm thinking of putting on some aftermarket parts and lower the car as well.

I've been looking at Koni Yellows with GC springs, but a friend of mine told me to go all out and try PIC's Select coilovers. The car's mainly for DD, save for a few track runs here and there, so I don't really want the setup to be too stiff. Any suggestions for brands or spring rates?

Also, I'm thinking of upgrading the brakes... Might rip the setup from a 00Si and put Brembo blanks on them... bad idea? I'm on 15" Si rims, so a big brake kit prolly won't fit.
Old 11-07-2007
Registered!!

sql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Suspension Upgrade, suggestions?

Ask 5 guys what suspension they like and you'll get 5 different answers.

What's your budget?

Chances are we won't know what you consider "stiff".
Old 11-08-2007
Registered!!

Nitro Express is an unknown quantity at this point

Xentius,

Sql is right, 5 guys will have 5 differant answers. I also agree with the "budget" comment. You can get a set of Springs/Shocks starting at about $450 and go right up to $3,000 (or more). The big question is what end are you triing to achieve. I am actually in the process of doing exactly the same thing to my 2K EX. It is a DD, but I want it to handle extremely well. On the same token I don't want to dump a ton of money into it. I would recommend calling the online stores and talking to the techs about some of the products they sell. You need to take what they say with a grain of salt, but you will get a flavor for which direction you want to go. Personally I'm going to stick at the low end of the Spring / Shock scale, below $500. But I will never race my car. This will leave me money for rear sway bar & brace, wheels, tires, axle back, spoiler, etc. Bottom line is, you need to be happy with the result. Just remember, the law of diminishing returns plays very strong when you get into the higher end of any product. Good luck.
Old 11-14-2007
Registered!!

toke101 is an unknown quantity at this point

....arite...i have a question and dont feel like starting another thread so im guna ask it here..

if i get coilovers will i need a new camberkit or can i use the stock ones...i know i can keep the stock shocks...bsaicly my question is...can i keep everything stock and just put the coilovers in.
Old 11-15-2007
Registered!!

sql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of light

You can stay stock if you don't end up lowering the car.
Old 11-16-2007
Registered!!

toke101 is an unknown quantity at this point

why would i get coilovers if im not guna lower the car....duh.
Old 11-16-2007
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

This has been covered a million times... search.... duh.

I'll spare you. If you dont get one you risk decreased handeling and nasty tread wear. Do you want that? No... buy a camber kit. It beats going to the alignment shop and getting a 70 dollar alignment only to find out that they cant push the rears any more and you need a camber kit. I picked up the Ksport camber kit for 110 bucks from www.hoursepowerfreaks.com dope guys. You can get away with one in the front for the most part- but if you have camber plates up top thats even better. It truely matters, for the front and the rear, if you can adjust within the stocker's adjustability or no. If you cant- you need a kit, if you can, you can get by- but still a kit will be useful.

Last edited by TRIZ; 11-16-2007 at 07:09 AM.
Old 01-10-2008
Registered!!

tyson_rr is an unknown quantity at this point

i like skunk 2 its the only suspension parts ive ever bought tho